Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 AM

387 posts, read 470,740 times

Advertisements

Just want to state that very often, people who were not born in Pittsburgh, to a steelworker family, or trade type of family-meaning the people who are working class, they're never really going to understand why many of us feel the way we do about gentrification in this area.
The original people in this region didn't buy houses as investments to cash in. We also didn't buy out of our price range, & we bought with future generations in mind, to keep family close etc. Our parents & grandparents created neighborhoods. So we want things fixed up-certainly. Do many of us want them gentrified to the point where we cannot afford? Nope. That's why we bought where we bought in the 1st place, because we could afford it. Old school Pittsburgers did not look at housing the same way as the newer generation Pittburgers. We bought for the long term with no intentions of moving. This is what we called 'home' --not just a house.
There's a difference between fixing up a neighborhood & gentrifying to the point where the people who built the neighborhood are taxed out.
I know PLENTY of Pittsburgers, retired, on fixed incomes, who cannot afford to remain where they are. They don't view it as a positive thing to 'cash in' & pick up & move. They have family, social circles, Doctors, & other things they need to be close to. Just picking up & starting over after a lifetime of being in 1 place is difficult for them, & access to the things they need becomes harder. I think newer Pittsburgers forget, or do not understand that there are many who lost almost everything when the mills closed, but they managed to keep their home. People also lost pensions. There's a lot more to it that what you see on this forum.
This is a reality. Just because people on here are not posting about it doesn't mean this is not a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 12:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
The original people in this region didn't buy houses as investments to cash in. We also didn't buy out of our price range, & we bought with future generations in mind, to keep family close etc. Our parents & grandparents created neighborhoods. So we want things fixed up-certainly. Do many of us want them gentrified to the point where we cannot afford? Nope. That's why we bought where we bought in the 1st place, because we could afford it. Old school Pittsburgers did not look at housing the same way as the newer generation Pittburgers. We bought for the long term with no intentions of moving. This is what we called 'home' --not just a house.
There's a difference between fixing up a neighborhood & gentrifying to the point where the people who built the neighborhood are taxed out.
I know PLENTY of Pittsburgers, retired, on fixed incomes, who cannot afford to remain where they are. They don't view it as a positive thing to 'cash in' & pick up & move. They have family, social circles, Doctors, & other things they need to be close to. Just picking up & starting over after a lifetime of being in 1 place is difficult for them, & access to the things they need becomes harder. I think newer Pittsburgers forget, or do not understand that there are many who lost almost everything when the mills closed, but they managed to keep their home. People also lost pensions. There's a lot more to it that what you see on this forum.
This is a reality. Just because people on here are not posting about it doesn't mean this is not a reality.

Honestly this is what I love about the area, I grew up in NJ. Everything was about the newest and best and showing off. Here I know lawyers and Doctors who have lived their entire lives here and they live in the same has the last 30 years and get a new car when the old one breaks down. Not everyone I know but plenty of people live like this. My aunt lives in my Great Grandmothers house which was (before passing) across from my grandparents and nextdoor to my great aunt.

I think one thing that would be nice to see in PA that would benefit these people is something like Florida's property tax where when you buy that is your assessed value period. Sure taxes went up and down (ok not down) but they didnt effect long time owners as much. You want to live in your home forever then it is a benefit, you want to move every 5-10 years and get bigger and better you pay more.

Old 08-24-2019, 12:46 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Just want to state that very often, people who were not born in Pittsburgh, to a steelworker family, or trade type of family-meaning the people who are working class, they're never really going to understand why many of us feel the way we do about gentrification in this area.
So what has been more of an impact to make you feel that way? Is it the present day east end growth or the repopulation and growth of the south side flats? I feel that the east end has been more impactful because of displacing current residents from living there and letting the strip district become residential instead of keeping keeping it as a market district with clubs and parking lots.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:04 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
This is well written and true for a lot of people. I did grow up here in the 70's and watched it all. Sure was super cheap for a long time. Pittsburgh is becoming popular again. Springdale would be a good place to look if priced out. I do believe in a fair market and a pure capitalist. If you want more you need to make more by working very hard.

I do get what you are saying though. I feel for the older folks the most. It ain't easy if you worked hard got paid well and lost it all. A lot of people had that happen!!!! We lost 1/2 of our population. Crazy times and they are still crazy for a lot of people. Move to the burbs though. I think Cheswick and Springdale are going to be super hot if the trend continues.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:14 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This is well written and true for a lot of people. I did grow up here in the 70's and watched it all. Sure was super cheap for a long time. Pittsburgh is becoming popular again. Springdale would be a good place to look if priced out. I do believe in a fair market and a pure capitalist. If you want more you need to make more by working very hard.

I do get what you are saying though. I feel for the older folks the most. It ain't easy if you worked hard got paid well and lost it all. A lot of people had that happen!!!! We lost 1/2 of our population. Crazy times and they are still crazy for a lot of people. Move to the burbs though. I think Cheswick and Springdale are going to be super hot if the trend continues.
I think the power plant in Cheswick may be a deterrent for some people.
Springdale is interesting though.. a nice, traditional little town, walkable business district, a cool brewery, a safe area.
Just a hassle on 28 to get between Pgh and there - will be interesting if that is alleviated once the HP Bridge interchange is reconfigured.

Old 08-24-2019, 03:54 PM

994 posts, read 501,438 times
Quote:
Your wife really seems to crimp your style.

Ever thought about finding a new one?

Welcome back to the forum.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 AM

387 posts, read 470,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
So what has been more of an impact to make you feel that way? Is it the present day east end growth or the repopulation and growth of the south side flats? I feel that the east end has been more impactful because of displacing current residents from living there and letting the strip district become residential instead of keeping keeping it as a market district with clubs and parking lots.

In my opinion, & it's only my opinion because I lived in SS for more than 10 yrs, is east end.

What went down in Southside when the mills closed was awful, but the families who managed to hold onto their homes stayed well after the cash in days. Many either combined with other family, in the same house, or with friends from the neighborhood. That's why so many houses were split up into separate units long before they became overpriced rentals. They held onto small businesses & didn't price gauge. It was any & everything they could do to stay right where they were. They played a part in rebuilding in a more unpretentious way. I'm specifically referring to OLD SS--from 3rd to 23rd, not the new stuff by the hot metal bridge. By the time that was complete, most of the old school southsiders were gone.
There is (was) more of a "function over form" way of thinking for the old school southsiders. There didn't used to be 'new flashy' in Southside, you maintained what you had, kept it clean & functional, because someone you knew built it, & it was built right.
Instead of charging top dollar & getting all you had right now, reasonable & fair prices were charged at local businesses so you would keep coming back. They wanted you to stay a while, & also to come back again.
Landlords from SS charged reasonable rent back in the day-so you'd renew your lease. They didn't want turnover. Often your landlord lived in the same building, or on the same street & worked just like you did. You'd see them if you were grocery shopping. Same with your local Dr, pharmacist, mechanic.
There wasn't much division. It was culturally different somehow, than east end, even though only a few miles away.

East end seemed to be much different in a community type of sense. I don't know what exactly was/is different, but I have always felt it was a little more aggressive east. Most of the businesses I visited in the east end, it's a bit impersonal, more about getting top dollar, a fast buck, & less about staying a while. There's also less to do if you don't have top dollar.

I kinda feel like the original residents east were more exploited, during hard times, whereas there was more empowerment going on in the southside. It's just a feeling I have, probably only because I lived among the people who were able to hold on to what they had. The southsiders who were pushed out were already gone for the most part when I lived there, BUT that wasn't due to gentrification, it was from the mills closing, lack of employment, & resulting foreclosure.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:44 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
In my opinion, & it's only my opinion because I lived in SS for more than 10 yrs, is east end.

What went down in Southside when the mills closed was awful, but the families who managed to hold onto their homes stayed well after the cash in days. Many either combined with other family, in the same house, or with friends from the neighborhood. That's why so many houses were split up into separate units long before they became overpriced rentals. They held onto small businesses & didn't price gauge. It was any & everything they could do to stay right where they were. They played a part in rebuilding in a more unpretentious way. I'm specifically referring to OLD SS--from 3rd to 23rd, not the new stuff by the hot metal bridge. By the time that was complete, most of the old school southsiders were gone.
There is (was) more of a "function over form" way of thinking for the old school southsiders. There didn't used to be 'new flashy' in Southside, you maintained what you had, kept it clean & functional, because someone you knew built it, & it was built right.
Instead of charging top dollar & getting all you had right now, reasonable & fair prices were charged at local businesses so you would keep coming back. They wanted you to stay a while, & also to come back again.
Landlords from SS charged reasonable rent back in the day-so you'd renew your lease. They didn't want turnover. Often your landlord lived in the same building, or on the same street & worked just like you did. You'd see them if you were grocery shopping. Same with your local Dr, pharmacist, mechanic.
There wasn't much division. It was culturally different somehow, than east end, even though only a few miles away.

East end seemed to be much different in a community type of sense. I don't know what exactly was/is different, but I have always felt it was a little more aggressive east. Most of the businesses I visited in the east end, it's a bit impersonal, more about getting top dollar, a fast buck, & less about staying a while. There's also less to do if you don't have top dollar.

I kinda feel like the original residents east were more exploited, during hard times, whereas there was more empowerment going on in the southside. It's just a feeling I have, probably only because I lived among the people who were able to hold on to what they had. The southsiders who were pushed out were already gone for the most part when I lived there, BUT that wasn't due to gentrification, it was from the mills closing, lack of employment, & resulting foreclosure.

I agree with everything you have said. The southside fabric seemed to remain in tact. Homes were going for more money but not out of sight like the east end. I think this group of younger folks also have a much different attitude than the young folks that repopulated the southside 10-15 years ago. It just seemed like everybody was able to get along better an things remained affordable in the southside. There was people who had money and others who didn’t. You still could find good entertainment regardless of your income down there. Maybe this has more to do with the generational split. The youngest Xers and oldest millennials were coming of age in the 2000s. Which seem to be different in thought than the rest of the millennials and generation z which is driving the east end. It is like a total group of entitled folks. Everything is expensive and not everybody can afford it. There is a bitterness among residents and it has turned into a small class warfare instead of making the neighborhood sustainable with something for everybody. This group of folks driving the east end growth have their noses in the air, while the previous group of folks driving south side growth 10-15 years ago were totally opposite. I think it comes down to entitlement, lack of respect and people trying to cash out at the expense of others.

I dunno. To me there is way more to this city than the east end. I would be happy if growth over there stopped and transferred to other parts of the city. 600K for a home in Lawrenceville isn’t sustainable

Old 08-25-2019, 04:02 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Do people actually visit the East End or just assume what one must be like by a process of pure reason while sitting in West Virginia?

Old 08-25-2019, 04:14 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Do people actually visit the East End or just assume what one must be like by a process of pure reason while sitting in West Virginia?
A lot of people do travel distances from where they live. Just an example, I was in the Strip Friday and Wheeling on Saturday. It’s pretty easy to observe places in a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh