U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 07:43 AM

180 posts, read 43,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well it proves they a building homes for people to buy. If you read the article or watched the link they are targeting younger people.
What subdivisions are going up?

Quote:
I know we have beaten the educated millennial growth to death in Pittsburgh. The college population is stable or growing in Pittsburgh. While the overall population continues to shrink. Naturally the college age population , because of its stability or growth, is going to make up a larger percentage of the Pittsburgh population over time while other populations die off or move out.

Yes, it is because it is growing. Weirton isn't growing.

Quote:
The educated millennial growth is separate than in migration to the city. You are trying to connect the two,. Both are separate and headed in opposite directions.
Only in that overall population trends don't necessarily show demographic trends like what Pittsburgh is experiencing.

Population numbers on their surface don't tell you that Pittsburgh has natural decline or that its millennial population is growing.

Quote:
The educated millennials are enrolled in college. In migration means people are moving in for jobs paying taxes and having families.
No, they have graduated. Hence, "educated."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 AM

378 posts, read 138,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I won't be surprised if it Pittsburgh's population drops a bit in 2020. There's a long-standing demographic pattern that isn't going to flip overnight.

Of course nobody is expecting Weirton to do anything. It's a suburb of Steubenville. Pittsburgh remains an internationally competitive center for medical research, computing, and education. It's now one with a more well-paying jobs than it had ten years ago.
Well Weirton and Steubenville are their own joint tiny metro area. Both are part of the Pittsburgh CSA. Pittsburghers are making more money that’s true, but overall wages are still below average compared to the rest of the country.

I still think Pittsburgh’s mistake will be completely turning their nose up to the petrochemical industry. I’m not saying they should drill in the city or Allegheny County, but the city should’ve been more open to embracing other jobs that would come with it such as office, research and manufacturing. They didn’t and all the growth regarding it remains in the western suburbs and I-79 corridor. Even local economic experts such as Chris Briem, credited population growth and stability to the gas drilling earlier in the decade.

On the other hand the western suburbs and Ohio valley have embraced this industry. As a result you are seeing new housing and manufacturing set up in Weirton. The largest new highway will be west of Pittsburgh connecting the airport to Canonsburg completely circumventing Pittsburgh city.

The money is out west and along the I-79 corridor. I think all those areas will benefit and if the Pittsburgh MSA posts growth in population it will be due to the stretch of road from Cranberry to Canonsburg to west of the airport. Pittsburgh city isn’t going to stop the.Metro from losing population. It would be ironic if the Steubenville Weirton metro stopped declining in population while the city of Pittsburgh continues to decline. And experts trace it back to one embracing new energy jobs and the other one did not. It could happen...

Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
All I talked about was Weirton starting to do some positive things for the first time in decades and that trends now point to the younger generations heading out to suburbs and exurbs like previous generations
I'm glad for Weirton, but it, like other steel towns, have a lot to deal for real change.
For Weirton, if they demolish the rest of the mill, they would be a lot of flat land and river front land at places, to market. And hopefully, they get a good win to develop on its eastern land. It has an older stable population for the moment who has some money to spend though and probably still some untapped disposable income. I'm guessing the new steakhouse is banking on that.

Quote:
Ever since 2009 we keep hearing how great Pittsburgh is. I can’t tell you how many times I read and actually believed the city is turning a corner. Lots of good things going on to showcase the city such as the g-20 summit and a president that loved the city. I don’t know what much more you can do to help it. One thing I know is it hasn’t performed how it could or should.
Good things happening in Oakland and the attraction of younger workers is not going to offset the older demographic and natural decline over night.

Quote:
At the end of the day I am positive about the 2020s for Weirton. And most likely both you and I as well as other posters are going to be extremely disappointed in 2020 when the census numbers are released for both of our cities. Nobody is expecting Weirton to do anything and I’m fine with that. I’d love to see us take a few residents away from the western suburbs and airport area in the next few years.

On the other side Pittsburgh is expected to do well. If it doesn’t the city pretty much laid an egg and missed out one of the best times for economic growth in generations.
It's not a mystery. We have almost a full decade of economic and demographic data to go from.

We know what Weirton, Pittsburgh, Steubenville and everywhere else's population will land more or less.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:11 AM

5,954 posts, read 7,072,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I still think Pittsburgh’s mistake will be completely turning their nose up to the petrochemical industry. I’m not saying they should drill in the city or Allegheny County, but the city should’ve been more open to embracing other jobs that would come with it such as office, research and manufacturing.

The petrochemical industry insisted on having the right to drill in the city (by state law) and is drilling all over the county outside the city right now. They said they would not bring the other jobs into the city because the city didn't want wells around where thousands of people live and work. The option you wanted, did not exist.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
As a result you are seeing new housing and manufacturing set up in Weirton.
Where?

Quote:
The largest new highway will be west of Pittsburgh connecting the airport to Canonsburg completely circumventing Pittsburgh city.
One, the Mon Fayette Expressway was first proposed in the 50s, not recently, as if to suggest some new growth pattern at the expense of the city.

Two, It's not "circumventing" the city. The city already has roads going to it. The MFE was designed for access to other areas.

The Southern Beltway was an extension of that because of the creation of the then new airport terminal.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM

378 posts, read 138,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Where?

20 new businesses is substantial for two counties equaling the population size of roughly mt Lebanon and penn hills.

New residential near 3 springs drive.

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 08-04-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Use your words. Please don't just keep posting the same links over and over.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:47 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,363,070 times
Default This isn't a new post. Already Hashed over

M o d e r a t o r ????????

Old 08-04-2019, 08:48 AM

And yes, I'm aware of the Italian facility. I'm very aware of Weirton. I don't see new houses.
I'm happy for the Italian facility. You don't seem to get my point.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM

5,954 posts, read 7,072,234 times
"The Italian Facility" was Robert Ludlum's worst novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or