U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
212 posts, read 52,753 times
Reputation: 138

Advertisements

Quote:
Hancock County is the second highest rated school district in the state. It is safe and affordable here with lower taxes
I wouldn't sell WV's education system. The state likes to elect people who seem to want to undermine it.

Also, much of Western PA is safe and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 AM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
458 posts, read 162,262 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
I wouldn't sell WV's education system. The state likes to elect people who seem to want to undermine it.

Also, much of Western PA is safe and affordable.
Well that is true to a certain extent, but Hancock County never hired a superintendent that lied about qualifications on their resume, nor do we have our superintendent going on trips outside of the country with the taxpayers footing the bill.

Yes western pa is mostly safe and affordable. The crime and shootings are concentrated in a few areas of the city and county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
212 posts, read 52,753 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Well that is true to a certain extent, but Hancock County never hired a superintendent that lied about qualifications on their resume, nor do we have our superintendent going on trips outside of the country with the taxpayers footing the bill.
Are you suggesting that is a significant problem for PA school districts?

The WV problem is statewide due to the extreme partisan state legislature. They are actively hostile to the public education system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM
 
3,237 posts, read 2,830,039 times
Reputation: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Well that is true to a certain extent, but Hancock County never hired a superintendent that lied about qualifications on their resume, nor do we have our superintendent going on trips outside of the country with the taxpayers footing the bill.
.

its not as if it was a career of deception. he was caught in a lie i think even before he was officially brought on! and, his trips were discovered relatively soon, not years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
458 posts, read 162,262 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Are you suggesting that is a significant problem for PA school districts?

The WV problem is statewide due to the extreme partisan state legislature. They are actively hostile to the public education system.
Nope Iím not. Iím suggesting Hancock County schools donít hire people that lie on their resume and still hire the person to lead a school district, then paying for his international trips for what on the taxpayer dollar.


Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
its not as if it was a career of deception. he was caught in a lie i think even before he was officially brought on! and, his trips were discovered relatively soon, not years later.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 PM
 
1,245 posts, read 1,447,832 times
Reputation: 2196
Taxes are too high here, especially gas and property. A lot of that money is wasted on cushy public sector salaries, while the roads and infrastructure crumble. Not a good attractant of people and capital when you combine that with 6 months of grey and gloom. If global warming warns the climate here and a bankruptcy court could give a haircut to the unsustainable pension obligations, this place would take off. Until then, here like most places in the rust belt that share the same issues will continue to rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
458 posts, read 162,262 times
Reputation: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Taxes are too high here, especially gas and property. A lot of that money is wasted on cushy public sector salaries, while the roads and infrastructure crumble. Not a good attractant of people and capital when you combine that with 6 months of grey and gloom. If global warming warns the climate here and a bankruptcy court could give a haircut to the unsustainable pension obligations, this place would take off. Until then, here like most places in the rust belt that share the same issues will continue to rot.
Thatís why I moved from the city out to Weirton. There is a more favorable tax rate here and I feel as a resident I have more of a voice in my community than Pittsburgh city. It probably has to do with it being much smaller but I am involved in making things better over here. We have a lot of good people trying hard to bring this area back and slowly but surely we believe itís happening.

When I talk to the mayor of Weirton they want to improve the infrastructure, make the city more desirable for business and appeal to people of all backgrounds and income levels. They said you cannot grow just on the backs of wealthy folks you need a diverse economy to build sustainability. New housing and updating \doubling the size of the water treatment system is an important start.

Pittsburgh appeals to wealthy elites but it needs to figure out how to include other folks in the mix. Not just ones that sip 4 dollar lattes a few times a day. And unless they start to redirect money and fix needs there will be and endless cycle of what you stated. People will continue to find the I-79 corridor most desirable and the western suburbs. Roughly a dozen or so of the city neighborhoods will be hotbeds for housing, while the other 70 remain neglected and continue to decline. Thatís what Iím seeing for the 2020s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
212 posts, read 52,753 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Nope Iím not. Iím suggesting Hancock County schools donít hire people that lie on their resume and still hire the person to lead a school district, then paying for his international trips for what on the taxpayer dollar.
Most school districts don't and most states don't have their entire public school teacher population have to strike because their state legislature is backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,398 posts, read 67,686,556 times
Reputation: 16090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
A lot of that money is wasted on cushy public sector salaries, while the roads and infrastructure crumble.
Um. I work for the public sector. My base salary is $32,000. If you think that's "cushy", then you must be pretty poor, and you certainly have my sympathies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Great White North Hills
11,416 posts, read 14,317,745 times
Reputation: 9079
Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned. I would think one of the factors is people having less children than back during Pittsburgh's big boom. It seems the standard these days is two maybe three kids. Just a thought. Maybe this area is becoming less Catholic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top