U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:39 PM

50 posts, read 20,514 times

Advertisements

On the average, people just don’t find southwestern PA a desirable place to live. It’s not that hard to figure out. Weather, infrastructure, taxes, etc. Most that grow up in the area and end up successful do so somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM

609 posts, read 226,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
On the average, people just don’t find southwestern PA a desirable place to live. It’s not that hard to figure out. Weather, infrastructure, taxes, etc. Most that grow up in the area and end up successful do so somewhere else.

I disagree somewhat, people thinking of moving here may think that but my experience is plenty of people are successful not leaving and many who grow up here that leave end up coming back or wish they could.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:54 PM

459 posts, read 164,025 times
Quote:
On the average, people just donít find southwestern PA a desirable place to live. Itís not that hard to figure out. Weather, infrastructure, taxes, etc. Most that grow up in the area and end up successful do so somewhere else.

Unless you are from the area that is is a pretty accurate statement. Otherwise people need to have the opportunity to make a very good living and move up the economic ladder. Jobs, money and opportunity will attract people to any city. Pittsburgh lags on those three things right now unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I disagree somewhat, people thinking of moving here may think that but my experience is plenty of people are successful not leaving and many who grow up here that leave end up coming back or wish they could.
That is partially true. If you live here and have worked here a while and this is all you know then life is good. I know a few that left right after college and worked in cities like Charlotte with the desire to come back and be next to family. They regretted coming back because they only knew Pittsburgh as a kid and into very early 20s. As an adult everything was different, basically didnít find it to be the greatest anymore. Old housing, below average salaries and economic stagnation mean something as an adult but not when you are under 23 years old and fresh out of school as one guy told me.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 AM

30,404 posts, read 67,708,071 times
Quote:
On the average, people just donít find southwestern PA a desirable place to live. Itís not that hard to figure out. Weather, infrastructure, taxes, etc. Most that grow up in the area and end up successful do so somewhere else.
People can most certainly be successful here. Just look at PghYinzer, eschaton, RogersParkTransplant, BrianTH, gladhands, xdv8, wpipkins2, gg, erieguy, tyovan4, Knepper3, Goodjules, Preservation Pioneer, and most other regulars as evidence of that. All seem to be gainfully employed. I believe all are homeowners.

To be honest Iím even finally starting to feel more successful here, and Iíve struggled to make in-roads professionally since moving here.

I still just wish our winters were snowier and less overcast. Iíve lived here almost a decade and have yet to experience a heavy snowfall. Our infrastructure is a mess, too, but you canít fix an entire generationís neglect overnight.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:28 AM

3,239 posts, read 2,833,173 times
Quote:
You might be right. For the young and college educated, there are more desirable places to be. I have had 3 friends who are gay who have incredible lives elsewhere now (outside of Los Angeles, Wilton Manors, FL, and one in NYC). They claim that sure, Pittsburgh has gotten "cool" to a degree, but for a gay dude, there is not a huge community for one to feel "welcomed, or even normal" (the words of one friend).

All nice people and I am glad they have what they do, where they are now....

Others have their reasons to like or dislike Pittsburgh. I think it is just so incredibly perfect in being "average" in so many ways.

people here are not totally insane like I have found them to be in other places I've lived. Northern VA, especially - they are so weird and living with a different set of values than most of the rest of the world. I mean, even octogenarians there are manic - teh way they drive, they way they speak, their coarseness....

at least old time America still exists here to some degree.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:51 AM

11,417 posts, read 14,325,124 times
Quote:
Got any stats? All my friends that stuck around have done quite well, a couple are worth millions.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:36 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,971,267 times
Lots of anecdotal evidence here from so many. It's like saying "Many people are saying" with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:58 PM

8,938 posts, read 5,542,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Lots of anecdotal evidence here from so many. It's like saying "Many people are saying" with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up.
What kind of stats are you looking for?

Many responses are from people who have lived in the city, and stats say that people arenít moving to the area.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:30 PM

459 posts, read 164,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
What kind of stats are you looking for?

Many responses are from people who have lived in the city, and stats say that people arenít moving to the area.
Yep itís pretty difficult to deny those facts. But as usual they will make a crack
On cranberry or West Virginia to try and change the subject. It then is made into a personal attack.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 AM

212 posts, read 53,378 times
...and it's back to the straw men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or