U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:35 PM

846 posts, read 254,220 times

Advertisements

One thing I think Pittsburgh needs most importantly... Babies. Lots of them. And some more foreign born residents couldn't hurt either. I was just looking at the census bureau's quickfacts for Pittsburgh and the age group percentages and racial demographics are not looking very cosmopolitan.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/pi...typennsylvania

What's neat about that site is while you're looking at one cities quick facts, you can type in another city and compare the two, or more even.

One thing that took me by surprise is it doesn't actually look like Pittsburgh has a huge percentage of elderly folks. What's actually much more serious is the lack of folks under 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:41 PM

87,267 posts, read 103,354,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
One thing I think Pittsburgh needs most importantly... Babies. Lots of them. And some more foreign born residents couldn't hurt either. I was just looking at the census bureau's quickfacts for Pittsburgh and the age group percentages and racial demographics are not looking very cosmopolitan.

What's neat about that site is while you're looking at one cities quick facts, you can type in another city and compare the two, or more even.

One thing that took me by surprise is it doesn't actually look like Pittsburgh has a huge percentage of elderly folks. What's actually much more serious is the lack of folks under 18.
A lot of Baby Boomers left during the steel industry crash. The oldest Boomers, b. 1946, were 34 years old in 1980. My brother nor I lived there during our working days, bro did retire there. My BFF is one of 4 kids, none live there. And many more stories like that.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:35 AM

1,487 posts, read 892,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Correct. I'm a lowly beet farmer named Dwight Schrute. A simple "strappin' young lad" like Joe Biden.
But Dwight would never describe himself as 'lowly'!
The Assistant (to the) Regional Manager thought quite highly of himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Ah, do you miss the smell? I went to Millersville my 1st year. Didnt really bother me but anyone who visited made a comment about the smells.
I finished my education and got my degree from Millersville!
The smell never bothered me while I was living there. It was just something that was part of the environment. It just faded into the background. Going back, after not having been exposed to it for 10 years was different though, haha.
I grew up in Etown, so when visiting family there the smells in that town were also a surprise upon my return that Id taken for granted while growing up. There's a chocolate factory in Etown

Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

474 posts, read 167,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post

You are right. One thing I will say is that is only going to happen with job growth and more people coming to the area.

I am a big booster of the panhandle of West Virginia since moving here from Pittsburgh. I do see positive change and more people coming in. Believe it or not, Wheeling WV metro has the highest job growth of any metro in surrounding states at 4.4 percent. That is incredible. People donít believe me but what I see and the bls numbers arenít lying. The Wheeling metro could grow while Pittsburgh declines.

Marshall County, WV residents are pulling in an average salary of over 1,500 a week. That dwarfs any county in the Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus areas. Granted it is much smaller down here, but this job growth and earnings is how population will grow. Pittsburgh metro job growth over that same time period is 0.7 percent overall.

Wheeling metro numbers:

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mid-atla...y_wheeling.pdf

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

5,238 posts, read 6,462,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
You are right. One thing I will say is that is only going to happen with job growth and more people coming to the area.

I am a big booster of the panhandle of West Virginia since moving here from Pittsburgh. I do see positive change and more people coming in. Believe it or not, Wheeling WV metro has the highest job growth of any metro in surrounding states at 4.4 percent. That is incredible. People donít believe me but what I see and the bls numbers arenít lying. The Wheeling metro could grow while Pittsburgh declines.

Marshall County, WV residents are pulling in an average salary of over 1,500 a week. That dwarfs any county in the Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus areas. Granted it is much smaller down here, but this job growth and earnings is how population will grow. Pittsburgh metro job growth over that same time period is 0.7 percent overall.

Wheeling metro numbers:

I'm not sure I agree with your optimism. With over 1,000 jobs being lost with the closing of Ohio Valley Medical Center and East Ohio Valley Medical Center, and the closing of Wheeling Jesuit, I see major issues. I'm totally aware that WVU Medicine and Wheeling Hospital have plans to absorb many of those jobs. I think it is simply a matter of time before WVU Medicine becomes the UPMC of the Ohio Valley and takes over and consolidates all of the remaining hospitals in the Ohio Valley. They are already managing Wheeling Hospital.

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

87,267 posts, read 103,354,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

Wheeling metro numbers:

Exactly!

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

474 posts, read 167,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your optimism. With over 1,000 jobs being lost with the closing of Ohio Valley Medical Center and East Ohio Valley Medical Center, and the closing of Wheeling Jesuit, I see major issues. I'm totally aware that WVU Medicine and Wheeling Hospital have plans to absorb many of those jobs. I think it is simply a matter of time before WVU Medicine becomes the UPMC of the Ohio Valley and takes over and consolidates all of the remaining hospitals in the Ohio Valley. They are already managing Wheeling Hospital.
I do know about the hospital. But those numbers overall donít lie. Iíve never seen a graph charting favorable job growth in the Wheeling area ever. Iím sure itís been decades and probably as long or longer than Pittsburghís decline. The northern wv panhandle is going to be the place to be as it cashes in on those high paying petrochemical jobs coming.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

67 posts, read 16,349 times
The Wheeling metro is population is at 140K (2018 est).

It's bleeding people still this decade (and the last 3 years have had higher domestic losses than the previous years this decade).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or