Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 09:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Plus, I'd rather die in a trash compactor than a retirement community.
Probably wanna check the median age in Florida versus PA before making that assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You’re assuming other areas are going to become more desirable and attract more people. It hasn’t happened here and won’t happen here anytime.
Cycles happen all the time, New York City was in the dumps for much of the 60’s and 70’s and look at it now. London has been through many ups and downs. Houston crashed from ‘87-‘00. While there is no guarantee, as someone likely to see a few more generations, I believe Pittsburgh is planning for the future and not the past.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Probably wanna check the median age in Florida versus PA before making that assumption.
Young Latinos and old whites. It’s certainly an interesting dichotomy.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Young Latinos and old whites. It’s certainly an interesting dichotomy.
Lol. That wouldn’t bother me in the least, but I do love assumptions.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Cycles happen all the time, New York City was in the dumps for much of the 60’s and 70’s and look at it now. London has been through many ups and downs. Houston crashed from ‘87-‘00. While there is no guarantee, as someone likely to see a few more generations, I believe Pittsburgh is planning for the future and not the past.
Believing something is going to happen versus it actually happening are 2 very different things. Being a “cheap place to live” only goes so far, and not everyone is looking for a bargain when it comes to choosing where they want to live. Desirability is a much greater factor.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
When you admit you’re an outlier, admit that you may one day be along in your decision making. Doesn’t make you wrong, but the next generation doesn’t believe in supercomputing and living life on the road.
Who’s “supercomputing and living life on the road”?

Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Who is going to pay to maintain these greenfields? Farmers and especially their offspring don’t want to farm anymore. That’s mostly, especially Cranberry, where these new properties are being built.

Not everything in Butler County is shiny and new. Many people are saving money, and also getting a far better value than Allegheny County. Cranberry is extremely convenient and imo the perfect distance from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a great place to visit but I couldn’t be paid to live in the city, however, I understand that many, including my friends and family love living there.
I think this is exactly my point. For individuals, the decisions make sense. The economy is built that way. I am not faulting any individual for doing what they feel is best for their situation. Even agree on the farming point. The point is, our economy is structured with a set of incentives the benefit the individual. I am not arguing that you stop making decisions that benefit you, I am just lamenting that this structure will leave our planet barren for future generations, with some extreme situations even potentially happening in my own lifetime.

We are heading toward a point where that is no longer sustainable, because the ratio of resources to people is dwindling. We are, as a human race, banking on some massive technological advance fixing this issue, rather than structuring a society around it.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think this is exactly my point. For individuals, the decisions make sense. The economy is built that way. I am not faulting any individual for doing what they feel is best for their situation. Even agree on the farming point. The point is, our economy is structured with a set of incentives the benefit the individual. I am not arguing that you stop making decisions that benefit you, I am just lamenting that this structure will leave our planet barren for future generations, with some extreme situations even potentially happening in my own lifetime.

We are heading toward a point where that is no longer sustainable, because the ratio of resources to people is dwindling. We are, as a human race, banking on some massive technological advance fixing this issue, rather than structuring a society around it.
I agree with all of that. Allegheny County, however, has caused many to make the choice to leave it and cause these concerns.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:19 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
I agree with all of that. Allegheny County, however, has caused many to make the choice to leave it and cause these concerns.
I disagree that Allegheny County (the county government? the remaining people in the county? is the county an individual with free will? not clear here) caused macro trends that are occurring all over the nation. I do think, however, that Allegheny County will struggle to grow. In particular, growth will be difficult because of the headwinds faced by the local municipalities and school districts holding the bag for legacy costs originally borne by many who have since left, effectively declaring geographical bankruptcy, leaving their debts behind for others to pay.

The costs for schools, for example, don't exactly follow those who went to those schools. Since they are generally debt financed, the future generations are paying off the debts left to them by the previous, while accounting rules changed such that certain things (like pensions) now need to be paid for by the current generation either via the change in GASB accounting rules or by the transition to defined contribution plans. This phenomenon will likely occur in other newer-developed places as the next shiny new metro (which might be in another country, how scary is that?!?!) pops up.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I disagree that Allegheny County (the county government? the remaining people in the county? is the county an individual with free will? not clear here) caused macro trends that are occurring all over the nation. I do think, however, that Allegheny County will struggle to grow. In particular, growth will be difficult because of the headwinds faced by the local municipalities and school districts holding the bag for legacy costs originally borne by many who have since left, effectively declaring geographical bankruptcy, leaving their debts behind for others to pay.

The costs for schools, for example, don't exactly follow those who went to those schools. Since they are generally debt financed, the future generations are paying off the debts left to them by the previous, while accounting rules changed such that certain things (like pensions) now need to be paid for by the current generation either via the change in GASB accounting rules or by the transition to defined contribution plans. This phenomenon will likely occur in other newer-developed places as the next shiny new metro (which might be in another country, how scary is that?!?!) pops up.
Didn’t realize the subject was “trends that are occurring all over the nation”.

My original statement:Poor planning shouldn’t require anyone to pay for things that they had nothing to do with. If one wants to stay and hold the bag for those things that’s on them.

Don’t tell anyone but many in Butler County would pay more taxes. We just don’t have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh