Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 06:34 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
My response was in context of a previous comment.
Who said “more people don’t live in Allegheny County than it’s adjacent areas”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Millennials are not moving to Weirton.
Especially not if they're going to have a two-hour commute to the East End. In what Western PA universe is a four-hour round trip commute reasonable or desirable?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 PM

615 posts, read 394,076 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Especially not if they're going to have a two-hour commute to the East End. In what Western PA universe is a four-hour round trip commute reasonable or desirable?
Well I don’t know. Somebody is otherwise they wouldn’t be building new homes and renovating old ones at a brisk pace. They are anticipating somebody to buy them. Same thing with expanding the city water plant.

Millennials aren’t moving to Pittsburgh we know that. In migration to the city is negative.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
https://wtov9.com/news/local/weirton...sellers-market

Old 08-03-2019, 08:19 AM

994 posts, read 501,917 times
Quote:
Well I don’t know. Somebody is otherwise they wouldn’t be building new homes and renovating old ones at a brisk pace
How in the world does that prove anything about millennials?

First, they are not building new homes at a brisk pace in Weirton. As for renovations. My retired parents and their peers are renovating or replacing one thing or another in their homes.

Quote:
Millennials aren’t moving to Pittsburgh we know that. In migration to the city is negative

the small industrial towns have been largely stagnate. The Ohio Valley has seen some (mostly temporary) workers related to the gas industry, but nothing that is change the direction of the communities significantly so far.

The exception maybe the plant in Beaver county.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:38 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
oh yeah Weirton WV is the rage among millenials. I was in Manhattan and they can't stop talking about it. at least one poster here thinks this is true. and at most one poster here thinks this is true.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
How in the world does that prove anything about millennials?

First, they are not building new homes at a brisk pace in Weirton. As for renovations. My retired parents and their peers are renovating or replacing one thing or another in their homes.

the small industrial towns have been largely stagnate. The Ohio Valley has seen some (mostly temporary) workers related to the gas industry, but nothing that is change the direction of the communities significantly so far.

The exception maybe the plant in Beaver county.
Well it proves they a building homes for people to buy. If you read the article or watched the link they are targeting younger people.

I know we have beaten the educated millennial growth to death in Pittsburgh. The college population is stable or growing in Pittsburgh. While the overall population continues to shrink. Naturally the college age population , because of its stability or growth, is going to make up a larger percentage of the Pittsburgh population over time while other populations die off or move out.

The educated millennial growth is separate than in migration to the city. You are trying to connect the two,. Both are separate and headed in opposite directions.

The educated millennials are enrolled in college. In migration means people are moving in for jobs paying taxes and having families.

Plenty of evidence to support both the former happening while the latter isn’t.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
The city took in $72 million from the wage tax in 2011. They took $100 million in 2018. (See reports below.) That's 5.5% annual growth. If Pittsburgh is dropping population except for college students, that means wages overall for city residents have increased something near twice the national average over that period. The only other alternative is that the city has a lot more residents who are working than they did before. I don't see how either of those fits with the picture of a declining city, but I'm pretty sure the second one is right.

By the way, the youngest millennial is 23. Some are still in school, but most are not.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/cbo/20...ing_Budget.pdf
https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...mber_FINAL.pdf

Old 08-03-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The city took in $72 million from the wage tax in 2011. They took $100 million in 2018. (See reports below.) That's 5.5% annual growth. If Pittsburgh is dropping population except for college students, that means wages overall for city residents have increased something near twice the national average over that period. The only other alternative is that the city has a lot more residents who are working than they did before. I don't see how either of those fits with the picture of a declining city, but I'm pretty sure the second one is right.

By the way, the youngest millennial is 23. Some are still in school, but most are not.

https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/cbo/20...ing_Budget.pdf
https://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/redtai...mber_FINAL.pdf
All I talked about was Weirton starting to do some positive things for the first time in decades and that trends now point to the younger generations heading out to suburbs and exurbs like previous generations. The responses to that speak for themselves. Arrogance on the verge of a huge letdown. I think Weirton has a long way to go and it will depend a lot on the Pittsburgh area if we can turn a corner over here.

Ever since 2009 we keep hearing how great Pittsburgh is. I can’t tell you how many times I read and actually believed the city is turning a corner. Lots of good things going on to showcase the city such as the g-20 summit and a president that loved the city. I don’t know what much more you can do to help it. One thing I know is it hasn’t performed how it could or should.

At the end of the day I am positive about the 2020s for Weirton. And most likely both you and I as well as other posters are going to be extremely disappointed in 2020 when the census numbers are released for both of our cities. Nobody is expecting Weirton to do anything and I’m fine with that. I’d love to see us take a few residents away from the western suburbs and airport area in the next few years.

On the other side Pittsburgh is expected to do well. If it doesn’t the city pretty much laid an egg and missed out one of the best times for economic growth in generations.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
And most likely both you and I as well as other posters are going to be extremely disappointed in 2020 when the census numbers are released for both of our cities. Nobody is expecting Weirton to do anything and I’m fine with that. I’d love to see us take a few residents away from the western suburbs and airport area in the next few years.

I won't be surprised if it Pittsburgh's population drops a bit in 2020. There's a long-standing demographic pattern that isn't going to flip overnight.

Of course nobody is expecting Weirton to do anything. It's a suburb of Steubenville. Pittsburgh remains an internationally competitive center for medical research, computing, and education. It's now one with a more well-paying jobs than it had ten years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh