Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times

Advertisements

The Presidential election will be decided by a few swing states. Same as it was the last time. Although, there is some debate about which states are swing states this time around. In order to win you have to have a message that plays well in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 02:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You realize the Democrats just won the national House vote by 10 million right, so I think the middle has just made its voice loud and clear how they feel about the GOP. If people were as happy with Trump as some seem to think here, 41 Congressional seats would have flipped hands...
No one voted. People will show up for a president. Also a gridlocked government is what you want. The less that gets done the better.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:34 PM

615 posts, read 393,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post
Thank you for condensing this for me! There's a lot of information and advice in this thread. Way more than I could have hoped for. I appreciate everybody who has weighed in. Right now I'm zeroing in on the Fox Chapel School District. But I'll also keep Squirrel Hill and the others mentioned in mind. We should hear the word this week on whether the move is happening, so I feel pretty prepared should all go as planned.
OP, are you guys moving out this way or staying in Minneapolis?

Old 07-22-2019, 08:20 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,377 times
I have never been to MN but I grew up in NJ then lived in FL and have visited many places. I'm not a big city person so Pittsburgh is perfect for me. Just keep an open mind on areas, everyone has an opinion and really comes down to your preferences.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:18 AM

17 posts, read 19,005 times
With the exception of Fox Chapel, anywhere in the North Hills is going to be saturated with conservatives and have more than a few racists. Your kids will definitely go to school with kids in any North Hills district whose fathers tell them that BLM is a terrorist group. But you're not going to find a rental home in Fox Chapel for less than $2k that isn't connected to another unit.

Penn Hills is my suggestion for you. It's minutes to East Liberty and you'll be able to find a terrific freestanding family home in a left-leaning area. Many people will balk about the school district, and it's true that the district test scores are among the worst in the state. But there are several high achieving students that graduate from Penn Hills each year, Aaron Donald, for instance. The Penn Hills school district has everything a student would need to become successful, the issue in Penn Hills, as is the case in all the large Eastern suburban districts in Allegheny County is always going to be a lot of students who don't personally care about their own educational opportunities. Penn Hills borders Homewood, arguably the most violent city neighborhood, and as such, that small area coming out of Homewood sees a fair amount of violent crime. But we're talking about beef-related crime in an area that represents about 10% of the entire Penn Hills municipality. I lived in Penn Hills for several years and absolutely loved it. I loved having a large, private yard and being so close to the East End. I also loved my neighbors. They were welcoming and very diverse.

You're limited because most rentals are going to be connected like a townhouse or something.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Bballnut74; 09-10-2022 at 03:29 AM..

Old 09-10-2022, 11:35 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,052,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballnut74 View Post
With the exception of Fox Chapel, anywhere in the North Hills is going to be saturated with conservatives and have more than a few racists. Your kids will definitely go to school with kids in any North Hills district whose fathers tell them that BLM is a terrorist group. But you're not going to find a rental home in Fox Chapel for less than $2k that isn't connected to another unit.

Penn Hills is my suggestion for you. It's minutes to East Liberty and you'll be able to find a terrific freestanding family home in a left-leaning area. Many people will balk about the school district, and it's true that the district test scores are among the worst in the state. But there are several high achieving students that graduate from Penn Hills each year, Aaron Donald, for instance. The Penn Hills school district has everything a student would need to become successful, the issue in Penn Hills, as is the case in all the large Eastern suburban districts in Allegheny County is always going to be a lot of students who don't personally care about their own educational opportunities. Penn Hills borders Homewood, arguably the most violent city neighborhood, and as such, that small area coming out of Homewood sees a fair amount of violent crime. But we're talking about beef-related crime in an area that represents about 10% of the entire Penn Hills municipality. I lived in Penn Hills for several years and absolutely loved it. I loved having a large, private yard and being so close to the East End. I also loved my neighbors. They were welcoming and very diverse.
yes, penn hills is urban perfection. no racism there, broad-minded people, so welcoming, so lovely. they drive so courteously as well.

the north hills? absolute garbage. stay away.

Old 09-13-2022, 09:32 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballnut74 View Post
With the exception of Fox Chapel, anywhere in the North Hills is going to be saturated with conservatives and have more than a few racists.
Complete lies. North Hills are filled with beautiful, loving human beings that treat everyone with respect.

Stop vomiting the lies that because a person is white and Republican they are racist. Just stupid idiotic nonsense racism.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:06 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,052,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Complete lies. North Hills are filled with beautiful, loving human beings that treat everyone with respect.

Stop vomiting the lies that because a person is white and Republican they are racist. Just stupid idiotic nonsense racism.
i agree, to a large extent.

I find along the Route 8 corridor there are more...."nasty people", if you will.
I dont know if that is a function of the more working class ethos there, compared to the generally more upscale/academic/white collar people in McCandless and in communities that straddle McKnightmare Road.
They (Shaler, Glenshaw, et al) seem to be so less apt for random conversation, almost scared to interact. This is what i love more about city life, I guess....(these are generalizations based on my experiences and observations, of course, and for discussion. I am of course not claiming anything as absolute!)

however, to label the 'north hills' as some ugly, racist, right-wing area is just ridiculous. Sure, and the "French are rude and hate us", and "canadians are so polite" (except in touristy areas when they put on airs), and "mexicans are devious and all criminals".

Ross seems so nice. McCandless is nice. The catholic and greek orthodox communities and their services (Vincentian), and the cleanliness of the general area, and the low key behaviour of people around you, generally (compared to the constant yelling, horns, and LOUD ****ING VOICES people use down here!) are nice to experience.

West View kind of sucks, though - lots of drugs, as in a lot of places. Im sure those there that imbibe are connected to the city for their goods, but most certainly condescend on our communities that suffer the inevitable violence associated with drug lifestyles.

but yeah, to steer a newcomer AWAY from a place, and TOWARDS another based on generalizations of politics is just the wrong thing to do. i can live next to a communist, and it woudl be cool. i detest that system (as ive discussed on this board a few times), but i can still love that person provided they are a good neighbor and care for their home and are considerate. why not? as long as they reciprocate that respect.

Old 09-13-2022, 11:34 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
So many generalizations being floated around here, thank god i live in the south hills away from all the criminals, racists and drug addicted deadbeats living in the north.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:42 AM

17 posts, read 19,005 times
I've lived all over this metro and I stand behind ny assessment, regardless of how many white people I trigger.

If you don't want to be called out for being Trump loving closed minded racists than don't sit quietly while your neighbors display their penchant for Trump loving racism.

The OP wanted to know where in this metro he could avoid living by that element. I didn't tell him anything that isn't backed up by voting behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh