U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

7,710 posts, read 4,572,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'd throw out politics as a factor, its usually live and let live in Pgh suburbs. Just go with commute and neighborhood feel/amenities and personally I'd say best commute, and you've already got some good advice here.
This is only true for cis-het white prople. I certainly would not tell a minority to disregard the politics of their neighbors, especially when it comes to a place where they will be raising children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

8,729 posts, read 5,431,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is only true for cis-het white prople. I certainly would not tell a minority to disregard the politics of their neighbors, especially when it comes to a place where they will be raising children.
Neighbors come and go. Your best neighbor today can be your worst neighbor shortly after. I’d be more concerned with the distance to my neighbors home instead of thinking their political views are going to influence one’s children.

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

460 posts, read 183,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Dormont, Carnegie are options as well. They are mediocre schools but safe. If you are looking to buy and have a decent budget Rosslyn Farms is a hidden gem. It is the same school district as Carnegie. Bellevue, benavon and emsworth would be good choices. They are around the Ross /west view area

Rossyln Farms is a nice liitle spot. I'm not sure that far would be a fun drive at rush hour though I've not driven that. Yes on parts of Ross but we live over in Ben Avon area and Bellevue to Emsworth and it's about 20-25 min to East Liberty not during rush hour. I tend to avoid those times but I'd guess you are going to be well over 30 min.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

281 posts, read 112,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Neighbors come and go. Your best neighbor today can be your worst neighbor shortly after. Iíd be more concerned with the distance to my neighbors home instead of thinking their political views are going to influence oneís children.
Great advice and very true. It is conservative out here in Weirton. As you know this is is a small town urban /suburban area. People are more open to change and hearing different ideas on improving things then where I used to live in the city. This area gets a bad rep because of it being in WV. Overall I think it is better and more open minded than a lot of places in Allegheny county. People here want to make it better and see Weirton turn around. Itís whats best for the city here not trying to satisfy this community group and that community group etc. I am moderate and vote both parties but prefer independents. Iíve never felt pressured or outcast to do anything here. The local republican leadership is more willing to listen than the local democratic officials I had in the city or suburbs. The culture again is just different. My neighbors are great and we look out for each other. It is safe and they were welcoming and happy to see a family in their 30s choose to live here and commute to green tree area for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Rossyln Farms is a nice liitle spot. I'm not sure that far would be a fun drive at rush hour though I've not driven that. Yes on parts of Ross but we live over in Ben Avon area and Bellevue to Emsworth and it's about 20-25 min to East Liberty not during rush hour. I tend to avoid those times but I'd guess you are going to be well over 30 min.
I know the OP was talking about renting first, but rosslyn farms is a gem. If you have the money and it fits the safe but not academically outstanding district of Carlynton. Why wait and just buy you know?

The problem is everything is at least 30 minutes from the east end during rush hour. Some days may be better and others may be much worse. The poster wants a safe school district that is ok/decent on academics. I really feel bad because the eastern Allegheny county Suburbs just canít produce that. The safety factor is really an issue for a lot of those districts and they arenít good performers academically. Itís tough when you have a family. I know and understand. You want your kids to be comfortable not concerned about when the next gun or knife makes it through the doors. The housing stock is nice, in those suburbs but Iíd only live there if you didnít have kids or you were ok with private schools. You will trade commuting time for public schools. Thatís how it is. I mean Oakmont is nice and riverside school district is decent. East Allegheny you never hear about and it may be ok? Plum I thought was good but they have money issues etc. Then you have gateway, Woodland Hills, penn hills and Pittsburgh public. Just not much to choose from in the east.

Old Today, 06:13 AM
gg

17,934 posts, read 18,261,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Are you still living in 1980? Seriously, no one cares about these things in first ring suburbs. Sure you go way out it gets more monotone in style and if you are in the city it is super monotone as well. In the city it is a bunch of like minds pretending they are diverse. The city isn't diverse at all. A bunch of ultra left wing whining people all trying to show how deprived they are as they pull out their $1,000 smartphone. The city is like a choir of like minds all complaining at once about how sorry they are the US is the most powerful country in the world and how we all live like kings these days. I'll take the first ring suburbs where there is real diversity and much more acceptance of different views and styles on a more international level. Much more welcoming in my area than the city could ever dream of being. I laugh when I see the "love not hate" signs in the city as if it is true. Hardly. If you support Trump you would be hated. If you are pro life you would be disliked. If you feel marriage should be a man and a woman you would be hated. This isn't "love not hate", it is intolerance to other's views. Sure it is love not hate so long as you think like me. That is what the sign should read. It was the city that used the memorial service at the Tree of Life to protest and show hatred for Trump and anyone that supports him, so any Trump supporter would be unwelcome to a memorial service!! Love? ha, ha, ha Hardly. I want to run around putting an * on each sign and a footnote, "so long as you think like us". It would make the sign real in the city.

Anyway, there are all kinds of people living in my area. Lots of people from different countries that thing all these divisions in the US are silly. Americans are Americans according to the worldly people. Cliques are what these divisions are all about. Cliques because of your skin tone. Cliques because you don't identify with a gender. Cliques because you are gay or whatever. Everyone born here is still an American. Doesn't matter.

Last edited by gg; Today at 06:24 AM..

Old Today, 06:28 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,151,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Monroeville doesn't have a very highly rated school district.

I think you would probably like Aspinwall. its in the fox chapel school district which is one of the highest rated in our area. decently easy commute to east liberty and plenty of access to shopping.

finding a rental home may be a bit challenging, but I'm sure if you look for a while something would pop up.
Late to the party here but Monroeville does not have a poorly ranked school district. Its right up there near Bethal Park, Cannon Mac, Freeport, Norwin, Avonworth etc in some rankings and in others is actually higher than a lot of 'good' ones like Franklin, Hampton, Mars etc.

Not sure where you get your data, but is it the diversity that gave you the impression it was poorly ranked?

That being said if you work in East Lib and live out east no way I'd go to Monroeville...the parkway every day would just add a new layer of stress to my life. Route 30 is a much easier ride once you get to know what lane to be in so Norwin is the only alternative out east IMO

Old Today, 06:41 AM

1,086 posts, read 926,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Not sure where you get your data, but is it the diversity that gave you the impression it was poorly ranked?
I was going more from the people I know that teach in the district and the people I know that have kids in the district. not sure what you are implying exactly, but I stand corrected on the actual rankings of the district.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Most places are a 30 minute commute from East Liberty during rush hour. Green tree is 17 minutes, the farthest part of Scott is 25. We have a friend that works at Childrenís Hospital. She makes it home in 40 minutes during rush hour to Whitehall and driving through Brentwood. If you havenít driven it you donít know.
Spoken like someone who has never driven it.

Greentree is 17 minutes in rush hour to East Libery?..not even close you won't even be in the tunnel yet.

image uploader

Old Today, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I was going more from the people I know that teach in the district and the people I know that have kids in the district. not sure what you are implying exactly, but I stand corrected on the actual rankings of the district.
I'm not implying anything, its just these posts are here for decades I don't think its fair to have such an early post disparaging a perfectly fine school district for anyone that stumbles in to take as gospel.

In fact it is not just another 'decent' school district but one of the very few in the entire area where you can get in a good school district and have real diversity. Other than Allderdice I can't think of another that isn't scraping the bottom of the rankings.

Old Today, 07:18 AM

12,434 posts, read 11,933,106 times
Quote:
The problem is everything is at least 30 minutes from the east end during rush hour. Some days may be better and others may be much worse. The poster wants a safe school district that is ok/decent on academics. I really feel bad because the eastern Allegheny county Suburbs just canít produce that. The safety factor is really an issue for a lot of those districts and they arenít good performers academically. Itís tough when you have a family. I know and understand. You want your kids to be comfortable not concerned about when the next gun or knife makes it through the doors. The housing stock is nice, in those suburbs but Iíd only live there if you didnít have kids or you were ok with private schools. You will trade commuting time for public schools. Thatís how it is. I mean Oakmont is nice and riverside school district is decent. East Allegheny you never hear about and it may be ok? Plum I thought was good but they have money issues etc. Then you have gateway, Woodland Hills, penn hills and Pittsburgh public. Just not much to choose from in the east.
I wouldn't put Gateway SD (Monroeville+Pitcairn) in the same boat as Penn Hills, Woodland Hills (which have big issues) and Wilkinsburg (which is a dumpster fire). Gateway is an average school district, not an awful one. It is probably slipping a bit in the rankings in recent years though, as Pitcairn (like a lot of the Turtle Creek Valley towns) is becoming a bit of a dumping ground for the poor black population which formerly lived in the East End of Pittsburgh. The long-standing middle-class black population in Monroeville is among the highest-performing in the county however, last time I checked the PSSA scores. It does fail the 30-minute commute thing though during rush hour.

I'd actually put Riverview SD (Oakmont+Verona) on roughly the same level as Gateway. Oakmont is a nice town, and even in rush hour, it's probably within the commuting threshold the OP is looking for. Verona is experiencing an influx of black residents of Penn Hills attempt to move into a better school district, and I wonder if this will trigger white flight out of the district, even if it doesn't out of Oakmont itself.

Plum is probably the most well regarded school district east of the city within Allegheny County (and probably not coincidentally also the whitest) but it fails the 30-minute commute test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or