U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:50 AM

354 posts, read 130,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Weirton has very good biscuits!
Are you referring to the food type, as in Biscuit World, that ahead of its time restaurant or, the human type?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:55 AM

409 posts, read 185,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not how it works. Adding more lanes creates more traffic: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-t...nduced-demand/
Yeah, I don't buy it. They said themselves if you build a 100 lane highway, you'd eliminate traffic. So we know that more lanes reduces traffic, it's just a matter of finding out what the correct number of lanes is.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 AM

12,460 posts, read 11,967,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Yeah, I don't buy it. They said themselves if you build a 100 lane highway, you'd eliminate traffic. So we know that more lanes reduces traffic, it's just a matter of finding out what the correct number of lanes is.
The problem is, if you build enough lanes to eliminate traffic, it reduces commute times in a given direction. This incentivizes additional greenfield construction in that general direction, until eventually the highway becomes just as congested again.

Note though that the exact same logic also works for things like commuter rail. Anything which you do which gets people off the highways in the suburbs reduces suburban commute times, thus in theory allowing for new subdivisions to become built further out.

Theoretically, it is possible to over-build a transportation system to such a degree that there will never, ever be enough people on the road to meet full capacity. It's also possible that if an entire metropolitan area is in decline, there will never be enough suburban/exurban growth for the highways to become congested again. But under normal circumstances, eventually traffic jams start again.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 AM

5,926 posts, read 7,046,174 times
Quote:
At a reasonable cost compared to alternatives, building more lanes doesn't reduce traffic.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:38 AM

329 posts, read 124,118 times
Pittsburgh really needs to spend money on fixing the water drainage and run off issues. Each time it rains there is massive flooding throughout the area. Somebody got stuck again on Washington blvd.

This is really a pressing and serious issue for the region.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM

484 posts, read 190,753 times
This I agree with, while there is not new construction at every turn there is a good amount. I have noticed more of localized flooding since I moved here 12 years ago. This is not flooding in a flood zone so it must be due to run off issues. It needs to be fixed and a better look when new plans are being considered.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM

484 posts, read 190,753 times
Driving over to Ross Park Mall yesterday I noticed at least 4 sink holes, I can even think of past years when I have seen one.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:02 AM

22,614 posts, read 24,204,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pittsburgh really needs to spend money on fixing the water drainage and run off issues. Each time it rains there is massive flooding throughout the area. Somebody got stuck again on Washington blvd.

This is really a pressing and serious issue for the region.
Who do you mean by "Pittsburgh", though? The city of Pittsburgh? All of the different municipalities in the region? Allegheny County? Neighboring counties? The Commonwealth of PA? Alcosan? PWSA? Penn American Water? PennDot? It's no small thing to get all of these agencies to work together.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,800,575 times
Quote:
ok, but what are your constraints? you can build a 100-lane highway in a fantasy world. what about pollution? rights-of-way? geological restrictions?

induced traffic is a concept that is hard to argue, given the patterns of growth across the most dynamic economies of the last 1/2 century. even in the UK and Canada, traffic congestion is more a problem than not.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:58 PM

329 posts, read 124,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
This I agree with, while there is not new construction at every turn there is a good amount. I have noticed more of localized flooding since I moved here 12 years ago. This is not flooding in a flood zone so it must be due to run off issues. It needs to be fixed and a better look when new plans are being considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Driving over to Ross Park Mall yesterday I noticed at least 4 sink holes, I can even think of past years when I have seen one.
The complacency with this amazes me. The general public should be outraged and demand these issues are studied and fixed ASAP. It is a public safety and a public health issue. It floods so frequent that fire departments are buying swift water rescue equipment. It crosses municipalities and counties as well. People need to start holding their municipal, county and state officials accountable.

When it floods the water isnít running off through trees. It is going into old homes peoples basements and urban areas then into the rivers and our drinking water.

We have a lot of hills and mountains in West Virginia. It doesnít flood out each time it rains. On occasion an abnormal rainfall does but still few and far between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who do you mean by "Pittsburgh", though? The city of Pittsburgh? All of the different municipalities in the region? Allegheny County? Neighboring counties? The Commonwealth of PA? Alcosan? PWSA? Penn American Water? PennDot? It's no small thing to get all of these agencies to work together.
All of the above. This is a problem with being a commonwealth type of government. On top of a complacent and obedient public that shrug their shoulders and never hold their elected officials accountable. This is an issue for everybody and everyone needs to work together to solve the problem.

It will change when people arenít ok with the largest infrastructure project renovating an already adequate and high ranking airport. When it should be spending billions correcting real issues such as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh