U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,047,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Frick Park had a burned out building there for years. All the parks have landslides (there's a road shut in Schenley Park right now because of one). The difference is the giant chips on some shoulders.
Brookline Memorial Park was missing it's concrete hippo for like 14 years. Talk about neglect. Finally it was returned last summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

338 posts, read 125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
No. Absolutely not, absolutely untrue.
Etna Public Works does a better job at clearing our roads than the City does at clearing theirs. The comparison isn't even close.

Etna Police are INFINITELY more responsive. City police can't even solve half of the murders and don't even bother responding to quality of life crimes. Some of PPS finest 'students' tried to throw something at me through my open drivers side window from their school bus - they missed, but the noise of the impact was loud enough that I initially thought my windshield was cracked. I had to twist the arm of the police to even get them to take a report about it. Another time, my son and I found someone's debit card on the South Side. I didn't know if this person had just been mugged the night before or not. I wanted to teach my son how to be a good citizen. So we drove to the police station in Allentown to turn in the card. The cops didn't have anything in their system about it and gave the card back to me!

PWSA - can't even send out bills competently. I have no complaints about my experience with the Hampton-Shaler Water Authority.

Municipal responsiveness.. I can e-mail the Borough Manager or Chief of Police and get a response within a day that directly addresses my question/concern/request. Try that in the City of Pittsburgh, unless you're politically connected.

School districts - again, not even close between Shaler and PPS.

I agree that some small boroughs can't stand alone, and the key to effectiveness is to regionally share resources. Etna works closely with Sharpsburg and Millvale regarding regional planning. Multiple municipalities make up the Shaler Area School District. Multiple municipalities are served by the Hampton Shaler Water Authority. Multiple municipalities contract with Shaler-Hampton EMS. Local public works departments help each other during emergencies. Same for local police departments.

The answer isn't to build a fence around small municipalities.
But the answer also isnt to surrender sovereignty and be absorbed by a megalith like the City of Pittsburgh. And I simply cant accept the argument that public services provided by the City are equal to public services provided by suburban municipalities - they're not. They're on vastly different scales, and therefore of vastly different qualities.
I believe that the answer is to continue to explore voluntary regional planning and collaborate on sharing of resources.
Well said. It is all true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
To be fair, while they happened close to one another, the merger was not the cause of the end of the North Side as the locus of wealth. In the 1890s the completion of electric streetcar systems opened up Shadyside, North Oakland, Friendship, East Liberty, etc to mass settlement by the upper-middle class professional population of Pittsburgh, which rendered the older "horsecar suburbs" of the Mexican War Streets, Allegheny West, and Manchester passe. I think this would have happened even if Allegheny City had remained independent. It's also likely that another event which caused the East End to take off like a rocket - the movement of the major cultural institutions to Oakland - would have happened even in the absence of the merger.

I do think it's true that if Allegheny City stayed independent it probably would be in better shape today however. An independent city might have been better able to defend itself against the mess of highways which crisscross it. The dynamics of white flight would likely have been totally different - though it's hard to say exactly how. Old Allegheny City would likely still have been trashed however - my understanding is local residents were asking for it.
It would be interesting for sure. I think had the merger never occurred, Pittsburgh would’ve had stiff competition for residents and business. Allegheny City was more polished than Pittsburgh. There is a good chance that we wouldn’t be talking about the east end of Pittsburgh, but rather the central business district and west park areas of Allegheny City. I know it happened long ago and nobody was here at that time. But that’s the example of why people want their own little government and fiefdoms. I’ve heard many people respond to mergers with hey look at the north side.

It shows the lack of vision the city had at that time they were so worried about population numbers, tax revenue and not preserving a cash cow. They literally cut their own nose of despite their face. They let a gem decline and rot.

Anyways I agree the east end would’ve been built up with the colleges. I’m also glad to see you agree that Allegheny City would’ve been better off without the merger. Again that answers questions of why Pittsburgh city limits will probably never expand and surrounding places want nothing to do with a merger. Heck Wilkinsburg is still independent with their own government. They aren’t running to be with the city either and they can’t afford to pay the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I agree with much of what you said, with the exception of Riverview Park which got much needed attention during the Ravenstahl (native north sider) administration. During his time the park received an overhaul of the Chapel and attention to other areas as well. Sadly, there are now 3 active landslides at least, two of them are threatening the one way road through the park and I fear if they aren't rectified soon the road will be closed.

Ahh yes Luke Ravenstahl. The villianized forgotten young mayor that did more for Pittsburgh in his few years than any other mayor in recent history. Things got fixed when he was mayor. More revenue and slight population growth. Pat Ford, who is now in charge of development in the Weirton area, was Luke’s right hand man for development . Ravenstahl handed peduto the keys to an almost restored classic and in a few years the wheels are falling off again. Downtown has taken a dive. More violence and hating of law enforcement. No more slight population growth and new development only in one part of the city.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,359,031 times
"and new development only in one part of the city."

This is simply uninformed. Has it been a while since you've visited? Town, the strip and Lawrenceville are going to be one continuous "new development" in the immediate future. Meaning they're about to touch whereas before there were long dead stretches travelling up Smallman/Penn towards Lawrenceville. There's development in the North Side on E Ohio and surrounding areas, it's not just the East End.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
"and new development only in one part of the city."

This is simply uninformed. Has it been a while since you've visited? Town, the strip and Lawrenceville are going to be one continuous "new development" in the immediate future. Meaning they're about to touch whereas before there were long dead stretches travelling up Smallman/Penn towards Lawrenceville. There's development in the North Side on E Ohio and surrounding areas, it's not just the East End.
Also Chateau is about to be transformed, the South Shore or whatever they call that place over at Station Square is changing. There is development at both ends of South Side. Yes, there is no massive apartment complexes being built in Elliot or Overbrook, but if people actually weren't so driven to make a point they would acknowledge that is not only never going to happen but also not what should happen in that area. Residential areas need people to step up and live there, not the developers to step up and build massive office and apartment complexes.

Old Today, 08:24 AM

437 posts, read 192,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Pittsburgh is a great city, but I would have to say the thing I dislike the most are the people (not all them mind you, but the majority). Rude, confrontational, insanely negative, disrespectful to one another, and above all don't like to have their world view questioned. Not everyone is like this of course but it's the norm more often than not. The main complaints people have (litter and drivers) are directly caused by bad attitudes.
I've unfortunately had bad experiences too. Some Pittsburghers I've run into across the state have included an unabashed liberal racist, a tax-dodging creep you wouldn't want near any female, and an emotionally unstable repeat criminal with a severe mental illness. I've met some nice Pittsburgh folks too, but I just keep hitting the lottery with its people, and I don't even live there. (No offense to the folks on this forum, I'm sure I just got a poor roll of the dice, you city is wonderful, and a tiny handful of people do not represent it).

Old Today, 08:28 AM

12,470 posts, read 11,970,443 times
Yeah, I mean, I'd argue in general there's probably more development - pound for pound - taking place on the North Side than in the much larger southern/western portion of Pittsburgh.

Basically the North Side is divided in two. In the southern, flatter portions of the North Side, there's a lot of stuff going on, from infill houses to major proposals like Chateau. The outer North Side doesn't have much, but it's not like you see a lot in Point Breeze or Swisshelm Park either.

In contrast, outside of South Side, Station Square, and Mt. Washington/Duquesne Heights, there's basically nothing happening in the city south of the Mon/Ohio.

Last edited by eschaton; Today at 09:20 AM..

Old Today, 09:16 AM

22,619 posts, read 24,211,192 times
Quote:
In contrast, outside of South Side, Station Square, and , Mt. Washington/Duquesne Heights, there's basically nothing happening in the city south of the Mon/Ohio.
Well, the city just repainted the lanes down Broadway Ave in Beechview as part of its revitalization project, and boy, are the old-timers salty about it.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, I'd argue in general there's probably more development - pound for pound - taking place on the North Side than in the much larger southern/western portion of Pittsburgh.

Basically the North Side is divided in two. In the southern, flatter portions of the North Side, there's a lot of stuff going on, from infill houses to major proposals like Chateau. The outer North Side doesn't have much, but it's not like you see a lot in Point Breeze or Swisshelm Park either.

In contrast, outside of South Side, Station Square, and Mt. Washington/Duquesne Heights, there's basically nothing happening in the city south of the Mon/Ohio.
But where would it go? Brookline Blvd was just redone about 7 years ago. Broadway is getting redone in Beechview. I am not sure I understand what kind of development people want in residential neighborhoods. The kind of investment poeple are complaining about not happening is actually homeowners maintaining their homes, landlords maintaining rentals, and business owners maintaining their businesses. They are never going to, nor should they build massive office/retail/apartment complexes in these areas. Do they want one off URA sponsored infill houses? Why? There is plenty of housing in these areas anyway.

Old Today, 09:45 AM

12,470 posts, read 11,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
But where would it go? Brookline Blvd was just redone about 7 years ago. Broadway is getting redone in Beechview. I am not sure I understand what kind of development people want in residential neighborhoods. The kind of investment people are complaining about not happening is actually homeowners maintaining their homes, landlords maintaining rentals, and business owners maintaining their businesses. They are never going to, nor should they build massive office/retail/apartment complexes in these areas. Do they want one off URA sponsored infill houses? Why? There is plenty of housing in these areas anyway.
Yeah. South Pittsburgh and the West End is very rugged topographically, so even if the market existed, I don't think you'd see any major developments in the area. The market clearly doesn't exist anyway, or we would be seeing infill houses on the vacant lots.

As I've said though, I do think that it probably hurts places like Beltzhoover, Shereden, and Knoxville that they don't have a black city councilperson. Teresa Kail-Smith and Bruce Kraus pretty clearly just don't give much of a crap about these areas, because they aren't their electoral "base." I'm going to predict after 2020 though that Lavelle's District 6 is going to have to absorb some of these areas in order to remain a black-majority district - at which time, he might start actually addressing the needs of these constituents.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yeah. South Pittsburgh and the West End is very rugged topographically, so even if the market existed, I don't think you'd see any major developments in the area. The market clearly doesn't exist anyway, or we would be seeing infill houses on the vacant lots.

As I've said though, I do think that it probably hurts places like Beltzhoover, Shereden, and Knoxville that they don't have a black city councilperson. Teresa Kail-Smith and Bruce Kraus pretty clearly just don't give much of a crap about these areas, because they aren't their electoral "base." I'm going to predict after 2020 though that Lavelle's District 6 is going to have to absorb some of these areas in order to remain a black-majority district - at which time, he might start actually addressing the needs of these constituents.
And the you can be like District 4 and have a completely absent council person as has been mentioned before. For someone who wanted the job for so long, it's laughable that he is such a waste even if his staff does try to pick up some slack. Really disappointing that his opponent did not win. She was very engaged in community issues and was very vocal. It was basically a MAGA (Back to Basics) campaign by Coghill that worked, and he has since done pretty much nothing. Im still waiting on him to paint over graffiti himself like he promised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh