U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM

1,130 posts, read 599,872 times

Advertisements

This stretch of Williams Rd, from Spring Hill to Spring Garden Ave is just ridiculous with junk. There's the "Closed Circuit Camera" sign but I can't see a camera anywhere monitoring anything.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/w.../data=!3m1!1e3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:21 AM

22,574 posts, read 24,165,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I can't stand the blatant hatred of vampires. It is 2019, it is time to open our hearts and vascular systems to these misunderstood creatures.
Big Zombie's lobbying has worked.

Everyone complaining about litter has organized and volunteered for trash pickups, yes? My neighborhood has them once a month during good weather.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 AM

407 posts, read 184,235 times
Not enough parking downtown.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:38 AM

30,226 posts, read 67,372,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Do you ever walk down penn ave, i am curious how the litter situation is compared to liberty. My wife mentioned last month the excessive amount of garbage cans on penn.
Penn Avenue is much cleaner overall, and, yes there are plenty of trash cans and even a few recycling bins, which I appreciate. On weekends Penn Avenue through the heart of the business district (say between 16th and 22nd) is just so crushed with people that you NEED to have tons of trash cans or else they'd all be overflowing in no time.

I typically walk Liberty because it literally does shave about two minutes off my walking commute time each way, and on a 40-45-minute walk every minute helps.

I've now just fallen into a routine of walking Liberty. I leave at the same minute each morning, and the same several dozen vehicles pass by me at almost the same intersections. Sometimes we even make eye contact. It's weird how routine we humans truly are. It reminds me of that move The Commuter with Liam Neeson.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:45 AM

558 posts, read 399,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Lack of really good pizza and an NBA team.
I have friends in real life who if they read this would assume I hacked your account.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM

30,226 posts, read 67,372,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Lack of really good pizza and an NBA team.
I'm not a spectator basketball fan (albeit I do love to play). Really? No good pizza? What kind do you like? Have you tried Beto's? Mineo's? Aiello's? Slice on Broadway? Fiori's? Caliente? Bella Notte?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:18 AM

My biggest gripe is that Pittsburgh hasn't bounced back as much as I thought it would or should. The city isn't anywhere close to maximizing its potential. I'd love to see a Pittsburgh that grows back to 400K+ the right way.

The challenge is that if Pittsburgh proper were to grow to 400K today, I think we have the capacity, space, and infrastructure to do so. Even during rush hour, getting around in the city limits isn't painful, it's typically only the major arteries going to/from the suburbs that see the bulk of the backups.

But the reality is the city doesn't exist in a bubble.

Looking at other cities that peaked, dropped for decades, but found growth (DC, Boston, Seattle, Philly) - these metro areas never really dropped off (outside of Boston and Philly between 1970-1980). But if the metro area were to grow and the city was to remain the epicenter of the region for jobs, education, entertainment, and healthcare - it would add additional stresses to the city that I don't believe the existing infrastructure would be able to support.

If Pittsburgh wants to continue to grow independently of the metro area, I think it needs to continue to cater to the higher density, mixed use, walkable, bikeable, ride sharing types of improvements it has been making because it's not going to be successful marketing itself as a bedroom community with great public schools and lower taxes because we're competing with what over 80% of the existing metro area is aspiring to be instead of focusing on our core strengths.

But, in looking at the higher density model, we NEED to be better at being somewhat car friendly in the city (and region). We should still integrate adequate parking into new developments. And if the metro area grows, we NEED to get better at moving people around the area. We have strength as a "tweener" being more decompressed and car friendly than urban hearts of the BosWash corridor, but also a city with amenities appealing to our urban midwest neighbors who still want a place to park a car or 2 at night. A lot of urban core growth in rapidly expanding cities like Austin, Charlotte, and Portland have been doing this.

Play the city to its strengths.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm not a spectator basketball fan (albeit I do love to play). Really? No good pizza? What kind do you like? Have you tried Beto's? Mineo's? Aiello's? Slice on Broadway? Fiori's? Caliente? Bella Notte?
Yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes, no.

We have good pizza, just not REALLY good pizza.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 PM

11,363 posts, read 14,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Just ripping on NY transplants that criticize the local pizza. As to basketball, bring back the Condors and Skeeter Swift!!!

Old 07-15-2019, 12:31 PM

470 posts, read 186,454 times
I'd love Pgh to have an nba team, I know it won't happen but I used to love watching basketball. One thing I miss moving from Orlando, it was fun when Shaq was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh