U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,796,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It's actually part of the city code that business owners are responsible for keeping the sidewalks and gutter in front of their businesses clean (of snow and litter). I once reached out to my never responsive or even visible Coghill councilman, and the response was that small businesses have it tough enough that they dont enforce it. Talk about pathetic. Back in the day, cleaning of your sidewalk was just part of opening the shop in the morning and wasnt considered a burden but rather how to make your place look appealing. It's not a Pittsburgh thing though, humans are mostly trash themselves anymore, so I expect nothing more from them.
I think a lot of business people actually aren't city residents. They have a different perspective than we do here on city-data. They say they "love" the neighborhood, talk about going to a now defunct school and how they cut class and fooled the nuns or something....

face it. it's all about money. Running a business is THAT, to most. It's not really being a pillar or part of a street community.

I actually like the east end because it IS a different culture (generally speaking) where a lot of the young people DO have a community sense. This is what I feel in some establishments, even though I think it not to be a truly accepting, friendly environment overall.

I love the one guy I was working for who who was converting an old Bloomfield building into condos: we LOVE bloomfield. blah blah blah. I assumed they were maybe Squirrel Hillian, at least. no - Murrysville. Nothing against Murrysville, but its an example of the long-winded point I am making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

320 posts, read 119,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I think a lot of business people actually aren't city residents. They have a different perspective than we do here on city-data. They say they "love" the neighborhood, talk about going to a now defunct school and how they cut class and fooled the nuns or something....

face it. it's all about money. Running a business is THAT, to most. It's not really being a pillar or part of a street community.

I actually like the east end because it IS a different culture (generally speaking) where a lot of the young people DO have a community sense. This is what I feel in some establishments, even though I think it not to be a truly accepting, friendly environment overall.

I love the one guy I was working for who who was converting an old Bloomfield building into condos: we LOVE bloomfield. blah blah blah. I assumed they were maybe Squirrel Hillian, at least. no - Murrysville. Nothing against Murrysville, but its an example of the long-winded point I am making.
What if those business owners up and moved out of the city? What if companies downtown said you know rents of this office space is too much overhead our people will work from home? Iím surprised it hasnít happened in droves yet across America. Imagine if there werenít commuters coming in to run their business in the city limits anymore, what would Pittsburgh become?

It is a majority renter city. I wonder how much is actually owned by people outside of the city limits. Iím guessing a ton. From what I see on here the city dwellers are having trouble making it in their neighborhood and affording rents. The money to keep Pittsburgh going is most likely coming from the outside.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

5,920 posts, read 7,037,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

It is a majority renter city. I wonder how much is actually owned by people outside of the city limits. Iím guessing a ton. From what I see on here the city dwellers are having trouble making it in their neighborhood and affording rents. The money to keep Pittsburgh going is most likely coming from the outside.
You do you like no one else can do you.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

884 posts, read 450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You do you like no one else can do you.
It's a lame schtick, but it helps them pass the time. Not much going on in Weirton.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
It's a lame schtick, but it helps them pass the time. Not much going on in Weirton.
Weirton has very good biscuits!

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

1,417 posts, read 860,042 times
What bothers me the most here is the apathy and willful ignorance of such a large segment of the population.
It's so incredibly parochial - very much a 'know your place', 'don't rock the boat', and 'be grateful that you're still here and have a job and didnt have to join the Yinzer Diaspora' type of place.
Meanwhile, there's one political party, one church... everyone just keeps mindlessly going on with the same inertia along the same tired old path - as long as they can walk to Nunna's house for a family lunch on Sunday after Mass and then watch the Stillers together, that's all they care about.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

1,136 posts, read 603,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
as long as they can walk to Nunna's house for a family lunch on Sunday after Mass and then watch the Stillers together, that's all they care about.
Oooh I love this about Pittsburgh. Strong family ties. Not a Steelers fan but I can appreciate the craziness for what it is. They have fans worldwide. Heck, I've actually talked up the Steelers when traveling because I know they're loved and I can get better service at eateries.

I love the heritage of this city and its natives. I love the dialect. Everything but the litter. I've always thought we were mostly friendly and go above and beyond to help. And the hills, scenery, etc. I don't buy into the complaining ..

Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Really? You havenít been paying attention. It looks like there is hope in the 2020s for Weirton. I actually see it happening.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...on-job-growth/

https://www.weirtondailytimes.com/ne...-will-reverse/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Weirton has very good biscuits!

Yep and Deejays Ribs.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
If anywhere in WV's northern panhandle is coming back, it will be Wheeling, not Weirton. Center Wheeling is a legitimately interesting neighborhood, with nice historic architecture and an interesting mix of commercial amenities (including Center Market). Needs more restaurant options though.

Weirton just looks like the typical small rust-belt town in the region, with a half-dead main street.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If anywhere in WV's northern panhandle is coming back, it will be Wheeling, not Weirton. Center Wheeling is a legitimately interesting neighborhood, with nice historic architecture and an interesting mix of commercial amenities (including Center Market). Needs more restaurant options though.

Weirton just looks like the typical small rust-belt town in the region, with a half-dead main street.
Well you are entitled to your opinion. We are building new homes and smaller companies are coming in here to setup shop. I really believe the articles I posted may happen. Granted this area is much smaller than Pittsburgh metro, but still wouldnít it be something if Wheeling and Weirton began to grow before Pittsburgh did?

I agree though that Wheeling is a gem. It has a lot of what Pittsburgh does on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh