U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM

884 posts, read 451,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If anywhere in WV's northern panhandle is coming back, it will be Wheeling, not Weirton. Center Wheeling is a legitimately interesting neighborhood, with nice historic architecture and an interesting mix of commercial amenities (including Center Market). Needs more restaurant options though.

Weirton just looks like the typical small rust-belt town in the region, with a half-dead main street.
I've driven through both over the last few months once for work the other to go hiking. Both towns are just kind of depressing. I guess there is some appeal to whoever still lives there but I don't get it. Some people just like below average places, without much going for them, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,399,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Yep and Deejays Ribs.
Oh! Thanks! We'll have to check out Deejay's! Never heard of them! Once in a while we drive all the way to Weirton just for Tudor's! Wish there was more to see/do in/around Weirton, though. It is such an easy day-trip from Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If anywhere in WV's northern panhandle is coming back, it will be Wheeling, not Weirton. Center Wheeling is a legitimately interesting neighborhood, with nice historic architecture and an interesting mix of commercial amenities (including Center Market). Needs more restaurant options though.

Weirton just looks like the typical small rust-belt town in the region, with a half-dead main street.
Yes. Weirton does feel depressing. PittsburghAccuweather will disagree with me, of course, but when you drive through town it feels like the town is on its last legs---like a safer version of McKeesport. I'd love to see Weirton make a comeback, though. If more and more good-paying jobs locate around the airport, then that's a reasonable commute from Weirton. Just have to give people a reason to make good money and move to Weirton vs. making good money and living in Moon Township or Robinson Township or the Burgettstown area.

Wheeling is nice. I think it is a little overhyped from preservationists, especially considering it looks like a lot of its history has been torn down. The people are friendly. The riverfront trail is nice. The market is great. Oglebay is nice. It's just not quite "there", yet, though, for me to want to day-trip there more frequently. I'd pick Morgantown over Wheeling at the moment for a small city WV day-trip.

I will say WV Route 88 is one of the most fun drives I've ever done. It's like a rural roller coaster! Watch out for all the deer, though!

Quote:
Well you are entitled to your opinion. We are building new homes and smaller companies are coming in here to setup shop. I really believe the articles I posted may happen. Granted this area is much smaller than Pittsburgh metro, but still wouldn’t it be something if Wheeling and Weirton began to grow before Pittsburgh did?

I agree though that Wheeling is a gem. It has a lot of what Pittsburgh does on a smaller scale.
Weirton isn't bouncing back before Pittsburgh. No way in hell is that ever happening. I want to see Weirton bounce back, but if someone's moving here from San Francisco to work in tech and make six-figures or moving here from Texas to work in fracking and make six-figures, 99 out of 100 of them are going to want to live in Sewickley or Beaver or Moon Township or Robinson Township or Lawrenceville or Shadyside or Mt. Lebanon or Fox Chapel or Ben Avon before ever considering a longer commute from Weirton or Wheeling.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:33 PM

1,136 posts, read 603,939 times
Quote:

I agree though that Wheeling is a gem. It has a lot of what Pittsburgh does on a smaller scale.
I recently read (forget where?) that Wheeling has the most Victorian architecture of any city in the country. I

I may be wrong. My ancestors settled there late 1800s early 1900s. It is on the rebound yes. If they don't demolish everything. Yinz guys gotta check out the monthly Victoria Theater variety show. It is fun beyond words. Next show Aug 2.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:36 PM

408 posts, read 184,986 times
Expand the Parkway East and North to 3 or 4 lanes each way (including the SQ Hill Tunnel), and expand 28 at the Highland Park Bridge to use 2 lanes going N instead of 1. Boom, traffic problems all but eliminated.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM

320 posts, read 121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
I've driven through both over the last few months once for work the other to go hiking. Both towns are just kind of depressing. I guess there is some appeal to whoever still lives there but I don't get it. Some people just like below average places, without much going for them, I guess.
And you really think Pittsburgh doesn’t look the same way to people? There are a lot of areas in the city that look much worse. I agree Weirton has a long way to go. This is the first time in decades there is new housing and the potential for positive growth. Pat Ford is the economic guru for the northern WV panhandle. He was Luke Ravenstahls economic development czar for the few years Pittsburgh posted a few hundred in growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Oh! Thanks! We'll have to check out Deejay's! Never heard of them! Once in a while we drive all the way to Weirton just for Tudor's! Wish there was more to see/do in/around Weirton, though. It is such an easy day-trip from Pittsburgh.

Yes. Weirton does feel depressing. PittsburghAccuweather will disagree with me, of course, but when you drive through town it feels like the town is on its last legs---like a safer version of McKeesport. I'd love to see Weirton make a comeback, though. If more and more good-paying jobs locate around the airport, then that's a reasonable commute from Weirton. Just have to give people a reason to make good money and move to Weirton vs. making good money and living in Moon Township or Robinson Township or the Burgettstown area.

Wheeling is nice. I think it is a little overhyped from preservationists, especially considering it looks like a lot of its history has been torn down. The people are friendly. The riverfront trail is nice. The market is great. Oglebay is nice. It's just not quite "there", yet, though, for me to want to day-trip there more frequently. I'd pick Morgantown over Wheeling at the moment for a small city WV day-trip.

I will say WV Route 88 is one of the most fun drives I've ever done. It's like a rural roller coaster! Watch out for all the deer, though!

Weirton isn't bouncing back before Pittsburgh. No way in hell is that ever happening. I want to see Weirton bounce back, but if someone's moving here from San Francisco to work in tech and make six-figures or moving here from Texas to work in fracking and make six-figures, 99 out of 100 of them are going to want to live in Sewickley or Beaver or Moon Township or Robinson Township or Lawrenceville or Shadyside or Mt. Lebanon or Fox Chapel or Ben Avon before ever considering a longer commute from Weirton or Wheeling.
Deejays gets a lot of Pennsylvania license plates in the parking lot. The places is always packed. We will see what happens. Anything is possible. Especially with the gas drilling and plants going in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I recently read (forget where?) that Wheeling has the most Victorian architecture of any city in the country. I

I may be wrong. My ancestors settled there late 1800s early 1900s. It is on the rebound yes. If they don't demolish everything. Yinz guys gotta check out the monthly Victoria Theater variety show. It is fun beyond words. Next show Aug 2.
Wheeling was one of the wealthiest cities in the country at one time

Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 PM

5,967 posts, read 7,334,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I agree with everything you've said here. Overall I do find the Northern Panhandle of WV, just depressing and feeling like somewhere stuck 25 years in the past. Wheeling does have some nice spots and architecture, but overall not many people are going to voluntarily choose to live out that way if they work in Pittsburgh. Unlike your typical exburb (Cranberry), you'll still have to drive into the this area to do your major shopping.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:26 PM

22,583 posts, read 24,185,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Expand the Parkway East and North to 3 or 4 lanes each way (including the SQ Hill Tunnel), and expand 28 at the Highland Park Bridge to use 2 lanes going N instead of 1. Boom, traffic problems all but eliminated.

That's not how it works. Adding more lanes creates more traffic: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-t...nduced-demand/

Old 07-19-2019, 01:53 PM

12,448 posts, read 11,955,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
If you don't know Wheeling, it's important to distinguish between Downtown Wheeling and Center Wheeling. Downtown has some interesting architecture (some of the only true rowhouses in WV, and a fair amount of surviving cool old commercial mid-rises), but overall it's not that different from Uniontown. Center Avenue immediately across the Wheeling Creek is another story. Some beautiful old houses, an active public market, nice mid-19th century storefronts, etc. It has a couple art galleries, a coffee shop, a brewery, and some other urban neighborhood essentials. If it happened to be part of Pittsburgh it would be a hot area, but of course its relative isolation hurts it.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM

60 posts, read 36,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
What bothers me the most here is the apathy and willful ignorance of such a large segment of the population.
It's so incredibly parochial - very much a 'know your place', 'don't rock the boat', and 'be grateful that you're still here and have a job and didnt have to join the Yinzer Diaspora' type of place.
Meanwhile, there's one political party, one church... everyone just keeps mindlessly going on with the same inertia along the same tired old path - as long as they can walk to Nunna's house for a family lunch on Sunday after Mass and then watch the Stillers together, that's all they care about.
Damn, nailed it. This is exactly how I felt when I was living in Pittsburgh. In my earlier post in this thread I said how the locals absolutely do not want their worldview questioned and this is exactly why. Everything had to be the same, one way, and if you ever deviated from that you got so much backlash. The concept of "different strokes for different folks" just wasn't something that was adhered to, ever.

I was always told Pittsburgh was a "live and let live" type of place but I experienced the polar opposite. If you didn't adhere to a strict way of living and appropriate self beliefs you were shunned and had zero chance at penetrating social circles. In many cases people will be outright hostiles towards you at even the slightest deviation from what they deem appropriate. I'm not even talking about the kitschy "Hunts vs. Heinz" debate type stuff either, but stuff like "you live in across the river and I don't like that part of town, so you are a lesser person".

The sad part is that it's not just the old school Yinzer types, but the young people too (who at times are even stricter about what they deem as rocking the boat).

Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 PM

13,226 posts, read 17,984,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not how it works. Adding more lanes creates more traffic: https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-t...nduced-demand/
Even if different modes of transportation cut Parkway West traffic in half, the Parkway West would still be over capacity. It needs to be widened, period, bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh