U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:14 AM

476 posts, read 187,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
And it really makes sense. It is a lot of overhead to rent offices or own commercial buildings. You need to pay a facility staff full time when something needs repaired. I actually see downtowns work population shrinking in coming years. The technology available now to work from home is a game changer. It could result in higher salaries too, because the overhead will be much lower.

It can also result in higher salaries since companies are paying for the talent not talent based on a location. I have worked from home my entire 14 years though the 1st 8 was significant time deployed out to projects. My salary is independent of where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

You may have difficulty trusting, but the younger generation wants flexibility and companies want to save money. Pittsburgh is putting a lot of eggs into office buildings when it really needs to fix neighborhoods so people want to live there. Thatís what the future is.

They may want it but do need to earn it. Staff I work with is never here for my projects, those that are newer do have a harder time keeping focus and on track, some also take advantage since it's like a kid in a candy store if their 1st job. Not all, but enough that I like newer staff to work in one of our other offices where they feel they are being supervised. After a few months I can judge their work output so if they were to go remote I can tell if they are slacking from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:23 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,468,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Glasshouse Apartments in Station Square broke ground in December 2017 and are almost complete. That doesn't sound like much lingering for that large of a ground up construction project.

Anyone have recent pics of this or know of a webcam? I haven't been around there in a while. That area will be so much improved if/when those other planned buildings behind it are also built.

Old Today, 10:46 AM
gg

17,952 posts, read 18,275,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Itís also not downtown. Downtown is on the other side of the highway. Thatís part of the Hill District, a predominantly Black neighborhood. A huge chunk of the neighborhood was destroyed to build the old civic center.
After the Civic Arena the residents burned the entire business district to the ground during the MLK rioting.

Interesting read and the comments at the end are from some that watched it happened, so they are interesting reads. The Hill never recovered from the rioting/looting/burning. The Civic Arena is used as some excuse however.

https://newsinteractive.post-gazette...-hill-rose-up/

Old Today, 12:11 PM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 15 days ago)

562 posts, read 150,323 times
It's also my understanding there will be a park over the highway. They're calling it a cap but to me a cap is supposed to cover a distant of road, not just a small, park sized portion.

Old Today, 12:22 PM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 15 days ago)

562 posts, read 150,323 times
I also wish a high-rise would be built here. Something over 250 ft would be nice. It's just a parking lot, or actually I'm not even sure if people are allowed to park there.

https://goo.gl/maps/MhcutifnH1qtZT6a9

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or