Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
It’s not hating. It just takes a lifetime to get things done in the city. Is the garden theatre area finally done on the north side? What about hazelwood? What about parkway center mall? If the hill district is built out in the next 13 years that is a huge victory. It’s sat vacant for the last 7.5 years. Projects usually sit for 20 years in Pittsburgh before something finally happens.
As far as parkway center mall is concerned, the main driver behind that redevelopment, Mr Kossman, died in 2016 and I don’t think the redevelopment of a suburban site so close to all the downtown redevelopment was ever a priority. It’ll be after Giant Eagle’s lease is up that I expect redevelopment unless they lead up an effort to create a market district style development (doubtful as settlers ridge would lose out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 12:30 PM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
As far as parkway center mall is concerned, the main driver behind that redevelopment, Mr Kossman, died in 2016 and I don’t think the redevelopment of a suburban site so close to all the downtown redevelopment was ever a priority. It’ll be after Giant Eagle’s lease is up that I expect redevelopment unless they lead up an effort to create a market district style development (doubtful as settlers ridge would lose out)
Suburban office development is nearly non-existent in the Pittsburgh metro right now.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Yes, the Business Times had a big article about it a couple months ago. The bulk of the commercial development is in the city. The Strip District is very hot, as is East Liberty and other areas in the East End. One of the developers interviewed said that he could not have predicted all this a few years ago.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:43 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Yes, the Business Times had a big article about it a couple months ago. The bulk of the commercial development is in the city. The Strip District is very hot, as is East Liberty and other areas in the East End. One of the developers interviewed said that he could not have predicted all this a few years ago.
Greater downtown is where it’s at. Downtown itself not so much lately. I still think you will see more work remote jobs in the near future. Your office will be at home. Mine is ever so close to being that way. Renting offices are expensive. It’s cheaper to pay for your employees internet at home. Less overhead and higher salaries.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Greater downtown is where it’s at. Downtown itself not so much lately. I still think you will see more work remote jobs in the near future. Your office will be at home. Mine is ever so close to being that way. Renting offices are expensive. It’s cheaper to pay for your employees internet at home. Less overhead and higher salaries.

Yes, my company closed both of it's offices here in Pgh and those that remain all work from home and travel as needed to projects or meetings. New and inexperienced staff I feel will normally need to start off in an office. I wouldnt want to manage someone from home until I trusted them.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yes, my company closed both of it's offices here in Pgh and those that remain all work from home and travel as needed to projects or meetings. New and inexperienced staff I feel will normally need to start off in an office. I wouldnt want to manage someone from home until I trusted them.
And it really makes sense. It is a lot of overhead to rent offices or own commercial buildings. You need to pay a facility staff full time when something needs repaired. I actually see downtowns work population shrinking in coming years. The technology available now to work from home is a game changer. It could result in higher salaries too, because the overhead will be much lower.

You may have difficulty trusting, but the younger generation wants flexibility and companies want to save money. Pittsburgh is putting a lot of eggs into office buildings when it really needs to fix neighborhoods so people want to live there. That’s what the future is.

I don’t know the amount of those that work downtown that are commuters, but I bet it is a high number. If you asked those folks if they could work from home and not deal with getting into downtown, paying for parking or paying for the bus I bet it would be unanimous to work from home. And that is scary for a city like Pittsburgh relying on outsiders to keep downtown and the office space around the city full. We are close to being a majority work remote economy. The technology is there.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:33 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
What, no one noticed that this image is Pre-Civic Arena? Even the Carlton House is still standing.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:42 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
What, no one noticed that this image is Pre-Civic Arena? Even the Carlton House is still standing.
Is this a joke? The photo is obviously post demolition.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
That's the Doubletree Hotel and Suites (formerly the Bigelow Apartments), not the Carlton House. They do look similar, though. Carlton House was a block up on Grant Street and was demolished in 1980 or 81 to build the Steel Plaza Station.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:19 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
And it really makes sense. It is a lot of overhead to rent offices or own commercial buildings. You need to pay a facility staff full time when something needs repaired. I actually see downtowns work population shrinking in coming years. The technology available now to work from home is a game changer. It could result in higher salaries too, because the overhead will be much lower.

You may have difficulty trusting, but the younger generation wants flexibility and companies want to save money. Pittsburgh is putting a lot of eggs into office buildings when it really needs to fix neighborhoods so people want to live there. That’s what the future is.

I don’t know the amount of those that work downtown that are commuters, but I bet it is a high number. If you asked those folks if they could work from home and not deal with getting into downtown, paying for parking or paying for the bus I bet it would be unanimous to work from home. And that is scary for a city like Pittsburgh relying on outsiders to keep downtown and the office space around the city full. We are close to being a majority work remote economy. The technology is there.
You do know that the City of Pittsburgh does not build or own downtown buildings?

Also we are FAR from being a majority work remote economy, as of 2017 it was like 5% that work from home. And even if you have the option not everyone does it 5 days a week, so you still need office buildings. At my company, if you work from home a set number of days, you end up sharing a desk with someone else that is in the office the days you are out. Still need a building, still need a desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh