U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM

5,921 posts, read 7,039,949 times

Advertisements

Pitt has excellent PTO. I'm not there any more, but after ten years I was getting four weeks vacation, plus 2 personal days, plus from Christmas Eve to New Year's Day, plus one sick day a month (which you could use to care for a family member).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 PM

2,690 posts, read 2,044,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Correct. And OP my company has a very small presence here. They are HQ in NewJersey. It will probably be harder to get more vacation out of a legacy Pittsburgh company. Local companies are unforgiving with pto and pay Pittsburgh cheap. We were close to leaving the region all together till this job let me
Stay. This job gave me a 58 percent pay increase over my Pittsburgh salary and two extra weeks of vacation. So I left my Pittsburgh based company for this job. Iím not a computer or tech guy either.

I think if you can find jobs in Pittsburgh that work remote or the company is HQ in an expensive area elsewhere you get the higher salary and better time off package. This job will take me home.... to retirement if it can last me another 20 years .

So
My vacation was doubled taking this gig.
Do you have any data on local companies being unforgiving with PTO other than your own personal story? Broad brush statements based on one off personal situations are useless.

For every story of something not being good at a Pgh legacy company there is another story of it being great.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 PM

5,967 posts, read 7,334,258 times
I've been with my company for four years and have three weeks of vacation, three personal days, and can also purchase up to five vacation days. We can also get up to two to three extra days off by volunteering with company approved charities. With sick days, we don't actually have a set amount of them, but if occasional ones are needed, it's no problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I've been with my company for four years and have three weeks of vacation, three personal days, and can also purchase up to five vacation days. We can also get up to two to three extra days off by volunteering with company approved charities. With sick days, we don't actually have a set amount of them, but if occasional ones are needed, it's no problem.
I forgot my company also allows you to buy a week, so you could max out at six weeks of vacation. They also allow for 40 hours of volunteer time a year.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 860,478 times
After 5 years, I have 15 vacation days per year, 3 personal days, and something like 20 sick days.
Sick days carry over.
Not bad. A month off per year, paid.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 PM

477 posts, read 188,659 times
Not sure what new folks get but I've been in my FT job 14 years. I get basically 8 hrs float each year, something like 8 holidays, and we accrue time off no sick/vacation each pay. After 14 years I get 8hrs every 2 weeks so 26 days a year and can roll over up to about 340hrs which I keep maxed out since if project work slow I could be out and that is my personal severance. I work from home and make my schedule so I don't usually need to take time off and just move my work week around unless I a really busy.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:47 AM

320 posts, read 121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Do you have any data on local companies being unforgiving with PTO other than your own personal story? Broad brush statements based on one off personal situations are useless.

For every story of something not being good at a Pgh legacy company there is another story of it being great.
No I donít have data, but I can tell you a lot of Pittsburgh based companies were not close to what I got here as far as PTO. If there are many other good stories Iíd like to hear what they are. My wife now works from home for a company based in Dallas. She just took the job. Big pay increase more time off and flexibility. She would get 4 months fully paid maternity leave in addition to 4 weeks vacation.

Which Pittsburgh based company is giving 4 weeks of vacation to start, not including December 23, 24 and 25 as paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick leave and four months of fully paid maternity leave? That is what my wife just got as a paid time off package. Itís better than mine.

We both went on a lot of interviews locally and nobody would budge on two weeks vacation. Thatís just our experience

Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
No I donít have data, but I can tell you a lot of Pittsburgh based companies were not close to what I got here as far as PTO. If there are many other good stories Iíd like to hear what they are. My wife now works from home for a company based in Dallas. She just took the job. Big pay increase more time off and flexibility. She would get 4 months fully paid maternity leave in addition to 4 weeks vacation.

Which Pittsburgh based company is giving 4 weeks of vacation to start, not including December 23, 24 and 25 as paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick leave and four months of fully paid maternity leave? That is what my wife just got as a paid time off package. Itís better than mine.

We both went on a lot of interviews locally and nobody would budge on two weeks vacation. Thatís just our experience
Doulingo.

Fully paid parental and adoption leave.
20 days of paid time off with two additional weeks off for winter break.
100% covered medical/vision/dental for employees
50% covered for partners and dependents
First-time home buyer bonus (Pgh only)
Flexible hours
Lunch daily
Annual international retreat for all employees
Transportation reimbursement
Continuing education stipend
On-site gym.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 AM

477 posts, read 188,659 times
Yeah they have some crazy benefits, rival some out in CA to attract talent. I wonder what starting pay is like. Honestly that is some of the best benefits I have seen but it makes me question their long term financial feasibility given what they offer and their sector.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah they have some crazy benefits, rival some out in CA to attract talent. I wonder what starting pay is like. Honestly that is some of the best benefits I have seen but it makes me question their long term financial feasibility given what they offer and their sector.
A pretty good write up on them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#5e93dcf23463
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh