U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

5,013 posts, read 4,266,681 times

Advertisements

I have been in my job for over a year. I get 10 days of personal time which is accrued at 6.7 hours a month. I get .5 hours a week of sick time which is 3 sick days a year. I get 10 holidays. Thatís it. It is sickening how little vacation/personal days we get. Vacation and personal days are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

291 posts, read 284,839 times
Same employer the last 15 years...160 hours vacation over 500 sick hours (they both roll over) 10 personal days per year. Can't complain.

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

481 posts, read 189,150 times
I wished we could roll over more or cash out. I think at 15 years I can carry more over but right now 340 which I know is plenty but when we are busy I like to take OT when I can. The last 2 years have been busy nonstop so it was really hard to use PTO and not lose it at year end. I usually take 2 weeks in summer and 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, some years I take it and really dont do much so I'd rather save it for when I can enjoy the time.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,548,892 times
I negotiated 4 weeks (standard is three) of PTO annually. We also have 9 holidays. No separate sick time. The reality is I typically use half or less due to how busy we are. I am in consulting, and my clients tend to not care whether I am on vacation or not.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

190 posts, read 63,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I wished we could roll over more or cash out. I think at 15 years I can carry more over but right now 340 which I know is plenty but when we are busy I like to take OT when I can. The last 2 years have been busy nonstop so it was really hard to use PTO and not lose it at year end. I usually take 2 weeks in summer and 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas, some years I take it and really dont do much so I'd rather save it for when I can enjoy the time.
this may be a noobie question, but isnt all the realtor just commission based and make your own schedule?
at least the one i worked with for many years, he doesnt have work hour, he just work whenever and schedule his own holiday

Old Today, 09:47 AM

481 posts, read 189,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
this may be a noobie question, but isnt all the realtor just commission based and make your own schedule?
at least the one i worked with for many years, he doesnt have work hour, he just work whenever and schedule his own holiday

Not a noobie question, My wife is a full time Realtor. I have had a good job for 14 years with a global engineering firm (I manage projects and do technology development, not an engineer). I work from home and most years I pretty much make my schedule so I got my real estate licenses about 3 years ago as I can easily do both. I just take on select clients or help my wife based on my FT workload. The last 2 years I had a very large project which has had me working 80+hrs until the past couple months. My benefits come from my FT job.

The last 2 years were not the normal, we had a lot of work helping the people down in Puerto Rico after the hurricanes 2 years ago. I simply did not take on any clients the last 2 years (outside a couple we helped relocate and one rent to own sale I helped do for a past client) as I will not spread myself and risk my reputation of always being available for a client. Now that things are more normal I will be starting to refocus into real estate. After the last 2 years I will likely leave my FT job and focus on real estate FT if I am asked to do that again. Honestly I can use more of my analytical and other experience in real estate, it is more fulfilling and I like that the harder I work and better I serve a client results in direct success for me (not just more commissions, real relationships with people I help).

This ended up much longer than I meant but the last 2 years I have basically given up my life for one of my companies largest contracts and in terms of my career there it made no difference and no recognition ($ or comments). Very nice people, dont get me wrong I'm not bitter as I have worked in the corp structure long enough to know what to expect but I want to work for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh