U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

187 posts, read 61,990 times

Advertisements

Just wondering whatís everyoneís paid vacation is like

I was meeting with my boss regarding this matter

We have
15 vacation days after 5 years of employment
2 personal days
6 sick days thatís only used for medical issue
Itís currently not rollover, which I am suggesting rollover with a limit
Also having same amount of vacation days wether you work for 5 years or 10 years seems discouraging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,020,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
Just wondering what’s everyone’s paid vacation is like

I was meeting with my boss regarding this matter

We have
15 vacation days after 5 years of employment
2 personal days
6 sick days that’s only used for medical issue
It’s currently not rollover, which I am suggesting rollover with a limit
Also having same amount of vacation days wether you work for 5 years or 10 years seems discouraging
I am self employed, i may get a few sundays off. It actually sounds like a decent package but i dont see you get before 5 years

Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I am self employed, i may get a few sundays off. It actually sounds like a decent package but i dont see you get before 5 years
I think personal day and sick day stays the same year 1, but start with 5 vacation day after first year and grow into 15 after employed for 5 years

I was thinking it sounds too low, wonít year 10 should give like 20 pto?

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

313 posts, read 118,197 times
My company is slowly but surely becoming work from
home. I got a sweet deal 4 years ago to go there. Then I left Allegheny county for Weirton.

My vacation package is 4 weeks.
I get 3 paid floating holidays.
I get a half a sick day a month for a maximum accumulation of one month sick time.

Vacation and floating holidays do not carry over. Use them or lose them.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
My company is slowly but surely becoming work from
home. I got a sweet deal 4 years ago to go there. Then I left Allegheny county for Weirton.

My vacation package is 4 weeks.
I get 3 paid floating holidays.
I get a half a sick day a month for a maximum accumulation of one month sick time.

Vacation and floating holidays do not carry over. Use them or lose them.
So 20 days of vacation and 6 sick days?
Whatís floating holidays ?

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Quote:
So 20 days of vacation and 6 sick days?
Whatís floating holidays ?
Correct. Floating holidays are just holidays of your choice. Basically itís like 3 additional days of vacation. Most people use it for Xmas eve. Years eve and the day after 4th of july. You can use them whenever.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

22,580 posts, read 24,175,458 times
Quote:
What’s floating holidays ?
Floating holidays are intended to cover holidays that employees might not already get off, without having to use a vacation or sick day for a religious observance. So if everyone is off Christmas and New Years and July 4th, but you need to be off Yom Kippur, Diwali, or Eid, that's what they're for.

At my work, people start out with 12 PTO days (the amount increases after every 5 years of employment,) 12 paid holidays, and 3 floaters. You can carry over PTO up to the amount that you earn in a year.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; Yesterday at 05:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Correct. Floating holidays are just holidays of your choice. Basically itís like 3 additional days of vacation. Most people use it for Xmas eve. Years eve and the day after 4th of july. You can use them whenever.
I see, I guess we have both eve and day after 4th off by default or whatever boss decide at that year

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,041,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Floating holidays are intended to cover holidays that employees might not already get off, without having to use a vacation or sick day for a religious observance. So if everyone is off Christmas and New Years, but you need to be off Yom Kippur, Diwali, or Eid, that's what they're for.
My companyís ďfloatersĒ are a day that you can schedule for whenever if an already acknowledged holiday falls on a weekend. The policy is changing though to if the holiday is Saturday we have Friday off and if it is Sunday we have Monday off.

4 weeks vacation over some sort of staggered schedule but I think everyone starts with three weeks thesedays but Iíve had my four for a while now (the 5th week is after 25 years of service....woof)
6 absence days to use for whatever (everyone just uses them by the EOY though)
1 personal day
No carry over unless with some manager discretion due to a strange circumstance

The maternity/paternity leave is also pretty generous

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Floating holidays are intended to cover holidays that employees might not already get off, without having to use a vacation or sick day for a religious observance. So if everyone is off Christmas and New Years, but you need to be off Yom Kippur, Diwali, or Eid, that's what they're for.
Correct. And OP my company has a very small presence here. They are HQ in NewJersey. It will probably be harder to get more vacation out of a legacy Pittsburgh company. Local companies are unforgiving with pto and pay Pittsburgh cheap. We were close to leaving the region all together till this job let me
Stay. This job gave me a 58 percent pay increase over my Pittsburgh salary and two extra weeks of vacation. So I left my Pittsburgh based company for this job. Iím not a computer or tech guy either.

I think if you can find jobs in Pittsburgh that work remote or the company is HQ in an expensive area elsewhere you get the higher salary and better time off package. This job will take me home.... to retirement if it can last me another 20 years .

So
My vacation was doubled taking this gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh