Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 02:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocheffer View Post
there is something wrong there. i have never viewed a situation like this. a underage kid passes out from too much to drink from a employee bartender????? and it sounds like it was a club invational where members invite other people to view the club and play golf.. a 2-3 day event. i have viewed employees drink on the job but nothing like this. one fellow who worked for me cut the heck out of his finger cause he was loaded. got his drinks from the bartender and guess who ate good? the bartender.
something is wrong there at that club. could lose there liquor license for that
Someone told th bar tender he was 21 when he was only 19. You are right about the i cation always, Hoover the staff were working since 6:30am that morning. My son was working a double that day. The kid who was drunk was off duty at the time of he drinking. My son was absolutely stunned that th managers did nothing and just wanted to hide the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 02:53 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
The person who failed was the 19 year old. Without being there he may have stolen the booze. 19 is an adult. Take some responsibility for a change and stop blaming others for ones own stupidity.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The person who failed was the 19 year old. Without being there he may have stolen the booze. 19 is an adult. Take some responsibility for a change and stop blaming others for ones own stupidity.
Yes the 19 year old is responsible, along with th barman, the kid who lied about th age, th managers who didn’t do anything.

My son was th kid who tried to lift the drunk up, who turned him over so he wouldn’t choke on his vomit, who told others to call 911, who told th cops to take care of th drunk kid. He was so upset with the whole thing. He was pulled into the situation by default as he was asked to help pick the drunk up.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:05 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My son was th kid who tried to lift the drunk up, who turned him over so he wouldn’t choke on his vomit, who told others to call 911, who told th cops to take care of th drunk kid. He was so upset with the whole thing. He was pulled into the situation by default as he was asked to help pick the drunk up.
I hope he's making a report to the liquor control board as well.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Well, well, well. Once again some posters want to blame this on being "Pittsburgh thing". What, this kind of behavior only happens in Western PA?
��

The bottom live in OkD has a stand up son. And that didn't just happen. Kudos to your son and you.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Well, well, well! By all means let's call it a Pittsburgh thing. Cuz that kind of stuff only happens in Western PA.
������

One thing is for sure: OK's son is a stand up guy. And that just didn't happen. Kudos to OKD and her son.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
i just had a deja vu...i think...

Old 07-21-2019, 08:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Well, well, well. Once again some posters want to blame this on being "Pittsburgh thing". What, this kind of behavior only happens in Western PA?
��

The bottom live in OkD has a stand up son. And that didn't just happen. Kudos to your son and you.
Agreed. It is like this only ever has happened in Pittsburgh. Too silly to even comment on that part. All kids get drunk at some point. Part of growing up. It isn't the end of the world. Everyone survived. Time to move on. Heck, when I had my first drunk, it wasn't that big of a deal. Threw up and learned something. Next lesson ahead. Geez.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 PM

387 posts, read 471,106 times
No one did anything because EVERY one of them has some type of responsibility & the club, private or not, is liable.
They are all trying to figure out how to cover their butts-that is all this is, plain & simple.
They wanted time to figure out a story, to escape responsibility.
Every one of them hoped that the evidence (the passed out drunk teen) could be driven home.

The manager KNOWS the kids age, & can't deny that, because it is on file somewhere. Whether he looked at it or not, does not matter, as manager, it is his responsibility.

If this is a country club, there is probably a policy that staff cannot socialize there, most country clubs have some sort of policy, & unless a paying member requests that person be there as their guest, you don't mix 'the help' with the paying members.

*I don't know 1 19 year old who works a job like that, who can afford 20 drinks in 1 night at a CHEAP club-especially not a country club.
Who paid for the drinks???

The bartender, immediate firing should occur. If he served the kid.
Unless the 19 year old was not being served by the bartender, then it is the server's responsibility to card the kid. Whoever served him should be fired.

Even *if* the bartender was NOT serving the kid, it was still his responsibility to shut him off, because 20 shots is excessive to any 1 customer. The bartender makes this call-to whoever is serving the customer(the teen)-I have many times told servers to slow it down or to shut someone off, it's what you must do as the bartender is responsible for this.

*if the alcohol came from the bar legitimately*. ?????

NOTE: a bartender a country club makes more $$$ than everyone else, so he WILL cover his butt-cuz he ain't losing his job because of some 19 year old.

But something sounds VERY FISHY-mainly the 20 shots. I doubt it was that much. Doubt it was even 10, if it came from the bar legitimately, & someone did not steal a bottle & was just drinking off in a back room somewhere.

There only part that doesn't sound fishy is how management handled it, during the incident. Of course none of them want to be responsible for it. Every one of them knows the ramifications of what was going down.
I am not saying it's right, but it is human nature to not want to lose your job, & to not get cited by PA LCB.

There is no such thing as 'vouching' for someone's age when it comes to alcohol in the Commonwealth of PA. NONE.
Not at a liquor store, not at bar/restaurant/private club, private residence/concert/not at any venue.

Parents now are being held responsible even if their underage kid & his friends raid the liquor cabinet, or underage drinkers have a party when they are not home.

That being said:

We've got a whole new breed of young'uns that are so much dumber than the previous generations, about alcohol.
Maybe it's all the stigma attached, I don't know.
In my day, kids drank underage, we had parties with alcohol, it's what we did as teens, but these kids don't know how to experiment, & the parents aren't allowed to let them, & don't.
As soon as they are away from home they do stupid crap like this-happens in fraternities/sororities, kids die, they have no idea when to stop or how to gauge.

PS:I had a fake ID, & we all drank underage. I also was a bartender from 18-38, so 20 years experience.
Only in my last year of bartending did I EVER meet a person who actually waited until 21 to drink.
I remember calling him my unicorn.
I told his friends it was their responsibility to make sure he made it to the bathroom if he was gonna puke, and they did.
Yes, his friends did make him do a few shots, a FEW. Yes, he puked his guts out BAD after the 3rd shot. His friends reported to me that the bathroom was safe LOL, we got him food, & sobered him up, they had a designated driver, it was textbook., it's a different world nowadays!!!

Last edited by Catia; 07-21-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
it is a different world, much much safer. back in the 90's (i know soooo long ago) half my graduating class was driving around drunk every single weekend after drinking in a field, some spot in the woods, whoevers parents were gone(and some that weren't gone), one of the dozens of bars that would serve us etc.

that stuff is severely diminished in todays world. except when it does happen, you get reports on facebook groups, instagram, here w/e 20 minutes later. most not even the real stories but written to the tune of w/e gets the reaction the writer is looking for

Last edited by safak; 07-21-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh