Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,893,618 times

Advertisements

Is building on empty lots really gentrification or just development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 11:27 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Is building on empty lots really gentrification or just development?
You need people to be displaced for it to be gentrification. I'm not seeing the displacement here.

I mean, looking back at 2010 figures, there were 967 occupied units of housing in the Middle Hill. Out of that total 428 were homeowner occupied, and thus not really eligible for gentrification. 539 were renter-occupied. However, a fair number of these were likely in "protected housing" units - dedicated mixed-income developments and the like. The proportion has likely grown since 2010 as infill construction spread northward from Crawford Roberts. I wouldn't be surprised if there are less than than 300 units of either Section 8 or plain old market rate rental housing in the entire Middle Hill.

If the URA found developers willing to build out all of the vacant lots in their RFP, there would be way, way more than 300 units of new housing. The developments would likely include some market-rate units as well, but there would be more than enough space to actually increase the number of low-income rental units - even if you presume that every single vacated former home is somehow converted into an expensive home that white folks move into.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:56 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,008,150 times
This will probably be a slight improvement to the City overall, but will not cause a gentrification of that area.

I lived in Uptown and the Hill for 1/3 or my life, and can remember developments proposed, either coming to fruition or not. Those places are hampered by the traffic - there is too much of it for most people's liking. Those places are too inner city. It has nothing to do with blackness, but more with the perception of personal safety, drug activity, and the like.

So as a Pittsburgher, this is, like it would be anywhere, an improvement to the City we love. Any use of commerically zoned space for actual commerce is better than it being idle. But I wouldn't be worried about a tsunami of assessment and housing cost appreciation. Rather, I'd be worried tax money will not be used effectively for sub-par performing businesses.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
The Middle Hill really isn't that close to the Strip IMO considering there's the huge hill blocking a straight shoot to it from the neighborhood. If you don't have a car like many in the neighborhood, your options are a 35 minute bus ride involving a transfer, or a 40 minute to an hour long walk.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:04 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The Middle Hill really isn't that close to the Strip IMO considering there's the huge hill blocking a straight shoot to it from the neighborhood. If you don't have a car like many in the neighborhood, your options are a 35 minute bus ride involving a transfer, or a 40 minute to an hour long walk.
There was an incline which connected 17th Street in the Strip with Ledlie Street in the Hill District which lasted until 1953. It's interesting to consider how the Lower Hill would have been different if the incline had survived.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I think that the Middle Hill is going to take off like a rocket in terms of gentrification.
Awesome access to the Strip, right next door to the soon to be gentrified Uptown, easy access to Downtown, direct access to the South Side, fairly easy access to Lawrenceville...
I agree. It's an excellent location. It's less than a mile from PPG Arena, super close to downtown and an easy trip to the east end. I belong to the YMCA on Centre so I'm there a few times a week and I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. I can't help but think it's too good a location to stay run down for long. Time will tell, but my money's on a comeback. Maybe not a Lawrenceville level comeback, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:35 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,878,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The current population of the Hill isn't qualified to work at the tech jobs that are causing the Strip to boom.
But if the Hill is redeveloped - it'll be quite attractive for the brogrammers working in the Strip.

"isn't that close" - you realize its a 10 minute drive down Webster to Herron, through Polish Hill, and then you're literally in the Strip??

Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
The current population of the Hill isn't qualified to work at the tech jobs that are causing the Strip to boom.
But if the Hill is redeveloped - it'll be quite attractive for the brogrammers working in the Strip.

"isn't that close" - you realize its a 10 minute drive down Webster to Herron, through Polish Hill, and then you're literally in the Strip??
He said that most in the Middle Hill don't drive, so, yes, getting to the Strip via two buses would take a while from the Middle Hill.

If the incline was rebuilt down to 17th Street the Middle Hill would boom again instantly.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM

2,519 posts, read 2,073,289 times
I don't see the Hill gentrifying ever. It took an art gallery, an Indian restaurant and a coffee shop and proximity to Friendship/Bloomfield to begin the gentrification of Garfield and the Hill is too isolated despite being the keystone of Pittsburgh.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:

Considering how much tech employees make, there's plenty of other places within a ten minute drive of the Strip that those people will go to first before they'd ever consider Middle Hill....

Sure it should hopefully start seeing more investment soon, but it's a long way being a place a lot of tech workers would consider living in unless they grew up there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh