Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times

Advertisements

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...inate-pension/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 06:43 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
The party of the people, taking care of their own. They're not looking out for the employees. The electeds are looking out for themselves. Typical.
"All comrades are equal, but some comrades are more equal than others".

Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I'm a city employee. I am subject to this offset, which means that when I retire I'll only receive half of my pension---not a full pension. I'm fine with this as long as it's universally-applied; however, it is currently NOT universally applied. Several city unions are currently exempt from this offset. City council wants to make themselves exempt, and they are studying the cost to make non-union employees exempt. Meanwhile about half the city's union employees are still non-exempt from this offset, and given how horribly our union's current negotiations have been going I don't foresee ever being exempt from the offset.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
It’s a no-win situation. Every legacy city’s financial problems are tied to their pensions. Cutting them is fiscally responsible, but morally reprehensible.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s a no-win situation. Every legacy city’s financial problems are tied to their pensions. Cutting them is fiscally responsible, but morally reprehensible.
I took a job with the city because I love this city and want to help improve it. I didn't take it to get wealthy. I took it knowing that this pension provision was currently in place so that I'll only receive half of a pension when I retire. This is why I plan to open up a Roth IRA independently of my pension in another year or two once I buy a house.

I'd be okay staying with half a pension EXCEPT FOR the fact that if about half the unions PLUS elected officials PLUS non-union employees aren't subject to having their pensions halved, then why should the other half of the city's workforce? Either cut ALL of our pensions in half OR give us all FULL pensions.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I took a job with the city because I love this city and want to help improve it. I didn't take it to get wealthy. I took it knowing that this pension provision was currently in place so that I'll only receive half of a pension when I retire. This is why I plan to open up a Roth IRA independently of my pension in another year or two once I buy a house.

I'd be okay staying with half a pension EXCEPT FOR the fact that if about half the unions PLUS elected officials PLUS non-union employees aren't subject to having their pensions halved, then why should the other half of the city's workforce? Either cut ALL of our pensions in half OR give us all FULL pensions.
what percentage of your paycheck is withheld as your pension contribution?

most pensions were frozen in recent years because they aren't sustainable due to not enough money being put in for the eventual expense. this one just happened to be halfed. those that were grandfathered in got lucky.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:20 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:

This is so true.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:43 AM

97 posts, read 100,671 times
government employee pensions should have been phased out years ago when corporate pensions died.
why should they be the only ones to get a pension and early retirement?
I'll be working way past age 65 to pay for your pension, and I'll be paying more than my neighbors will- based on our grossly unfair property taxes.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:50 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:

This would be an increase...

Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
government employee pensions should have been phased out years ago when corporate pensions died.
why should they be the only ones to get a pension and early retirement?
I'll be working way past age 65 to pay for your pension, and I'll be paying more than my neighbors will- based on our grossly unfair property taxes.
Bingo...but government and entitlement goes hand in hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh