U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM

3,209 posts, read 2,806,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Very good response. Your last statement on Weirton is correct. I live here I like it. I know it has had issues for a long time and there is a long way to go. I know there is something going on positive for the first time in decades. There is an influx of people and Iím not sure how big, but it isnít imagined. They are renovating homes and building a new housing development in Weirton. And it isnít for no reason. There is demand now and they are apparently expecting more demand in the near future.

As an aside, I feel that way about Youngstown, OH. I like that place a great deal, and I think (but am not positive) they got over a slump and are seeing improvements (in crime, quality of life, etc.). It is like a little Pittsburgh in many ways.

An "insider" from there tells me, though, that the mob still has its hands in things.

But the housing stock - quality, quantity, property size - for the price? Quite a bargain, from what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

359 posts, read 133,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
As an aside, I feel that way about Youngstown, OH. I like that place a great deal, and I think (but am not positive) they got over a slump and are seeing improvements (in crime, quality of life, etc.). It is like a little Pittsburgh in many ways.

An "insider" from there tells me, though, that the mob still has its hands in things.

But the housing stock - quality, quantity, property size - for the price? Quite a bargain, from what I've seen.
Yep. I donít know where Youngstown is headed, but I do know there is positive stuff going on in Weirton. A small manufacturer just opened and the city is working on doubling its water plant to accommodate future growth. The growth in Findlay and around Pittsburgh will help the western suburbs and potentially Weirton. 800 people is a lot of folks for the new amazon facility. They will need housing etc. I know they are starting small , but I wonder the wages of the workers in the below article.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...Jlt50e49eCI1u8

Doubling water and sanitary system

https://www.weirtondailytimes.com/ne...lity-upgrades/

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
When there is discussion of technology and automation replacing human jobs, it's interesting the proponents of the tech and A/I industry are quick to point out that new jobs are created within their sector. But when it is tech giant Amazon's new jobs replacing those of brick and mortar (with higher paying "minimum wage" jobs no less), the tune changes.

Regardless, rest assured Amazon does create jobs. Just ask Seattle, Nashville, Crystal City, and Cincinnati.
Bingo! Btw I heard the amazon site in Findlay was where they proposed to put the amazon HQ if Pittsburgh was chosen. It was the only proposed Pittsburgh area site that wasnít going to be a free giveaway. Itís a win for the western Pittsburgh suburbs, beaver valley and potentially the Weirton Steubenville area

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
More low quality jobs in the suburbs. Huge news story. Must mean something very, very big for somewhere definitely not the City.
That is a pretty negative response. I am sure if this was in the city of Pittsburgh limits we wouldnít hear the end of how great this was.

The largest road construction project in the region is PA 576. Connecting the airport to I-79 at Canonsburg. This road is important for two reasons

1. Allows business traffic to circumvent the congested 79 and parkway west in Allegheny county.

2. Quicker access from the airport area, beaver valley, western Washington county and Weirton area to I-70.

This is a big reason amazon is putting the distribution center. Any undeveloped area around the new pa 576 corridor is now prime for development. Weirton is now better connected thatís why you see redevelopment happening happening here and new housing being built. Rte 22 is an excellent stretch of Highway from Steubenville through Weirton and to the 576 connector about 7 or 8 miles west of Robinson.

If you can buy housing in the western burbs or farther out my way this is where the money is going to be. Buy now while you can.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
gg

17,977 posts, read 18,322,814 times
Great news. Bottom line is if you aren't in the game of the future, you might as well close down shop. Brick and mortar is on their way out. As people get lazier and more secluded in echo-chambers, it will be companies like Amazon that will provide shopping in the comfort of one's echo-chamber. That is obviously the future. No fighting it as people need to be around like minds all the time and live without the need of any tolerance.

On line shopping is the future. We need Amazon since there is going to be continual closing of brick and mortar shops. Congrats to our region for landing this.

Old Today, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Great news. Bottom line is if you aren't in the game of the future, you might as well close down shop. Brick and mortar is on their way out. As people get lazier and more secluded in echo-chambers, it will be companies like Amazon that will provide shopping in the comfort of one's echo-chamber. That is obviously the future. No fighting it as people need to be around like minds all the time and live without the need of any tolerance.

On line shopping is the future. We need Amazon since there is going to be continual closing of brick and mortar shops. Congrats to our region for landing this.
Yes it is! This distribution center sounds identical to the one opening in the Cleveland suburb of Euclid. I am excited for what the future holds in the I-79 corridor and points west of Pittsburgh. Things are looking up for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or