U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2019, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
359 posts, read 133,106 times
Reputation: 222

Advertisements

1 million sq ft distribution center with 800 jobs going into Findlay Twp. A huge win for the Pittsburgh area. This will match the distribution center opening soon in the Cleveland suburbs.

The I-79 corridor and west growth cannot be denied. Easy access via Weirton and Steubenville as well . We may get a resident or two out off the deal.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...llment-center/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:19 AM
 
Location: East End, Pittsburgh
898 posts, read 456,210 times
Reputation: 959
More low quality jobs in the suburbs. Huge news story. Must mean something very, very big for somewhere definitely not the City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:33 AM
 
2,528 posts, read 2,035,763 times
Reputation: 1698
I like how they advertise $15 an hour as a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,279 posts, read 67,482,021 times
Reputation: 15931
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
More low quality jobs in the suburbs. Huge news story. Must mean something very, very big for somewhere definitely not the City.
I mean not everyone possesses the aptitude or intellectual capabilities to do anything but manual labor, and if we don't want to raise taxes to pay them all some sort of universal basic income, then at least this is something. The answer to everyone shouldn't always be "Go get your Master's Degree".

$15/hr. to start is a livable wage, and I can respect that. I mean I earn $16/hr., and if not for having student loan debt and above-average rent I'd be living comfortably right now. If a couple both obtained employment at this new fulfillment center, then they'd be earning over $60,000/year combined. You can live very comfortably on that in most of Pittsburgh---just not the most expensive neighborhoods.

My chief concern is that shortly after opening this new facility in Findlay Township, Amazon will announce they are closing their existing facility in Fairywood (City of Pittsburgh) and relocating those jobs out to Findlay Township. I mean people on here complain enough about the congestion on I-376. Taking more jobs from where at least some workers can access them via transit and placing them where all workers MUST drive isn't a "win" to me.

I can't blame the OP for wanting to see Weirton boom. Weirton isn't going to become a success story on its own. It's going to have to hope that more development keeps occurring in Findlay Township, and that some of those new workers might choose Weirton for some reason over, let's say, Coraopolis, for cheap housing in a "town" environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,279 posts, read 67,482,021 times
Reputation: 15931
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I like how they advertise $15 an hour as a good thing.
I mean I make $16/hr. My partner makes $13/hr. When I work overtime I make $24/hr.

Combined we can live comfortably.

We pay our rent on our 1-BR apartment. I pay my car insurance. I pay my student loans. He pays his medical debt. We can afford to dine out about once per week. We can see a movie or grab a coffee here and there without being concerned.

Not all of us want to drive a BMW and live in a McMansion in The Strabanes. We personally want to buy a 1-BR or 2-BR smaller older home on a small lot, and a couple doesn't need to make more than a combined ~$30/hr. here to achieve that goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 10:53 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,806,368 times
Reputation: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I like how they advertise $15 an hour as a good thing.
That's not bad! If you are young, and want to get your foot in the door of a huge company, that is a good wage for the Pittsburgh area...or for most areas. The opportunities at Amazon for professional growth are there (do they have educational advancement perks, too - i believe so), and you have to start SOMEWHERE.

That could also be a good situation for an older person who just wants to start anew.

You really poo poo $15/hour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
359 posts, read 133,106 times
Reputation: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean not everyone possesses the aptitude or intellectual capabilities to do anything but manual labor, and if we don't want to raise taxes to pay them all some sort of universal basic income, then at least this is something. The answer to everyone shouldn't always be "Go get your Master's Degree".

$15/hr. to start is a livable wage, and I can respect that. I mean I earn $16/hr., and if not for having student loan debt and above-average rent I'd be living comfortably right now. If a couple both obtained employment at this new fulfillment center, then they'd be earning over $60,000/year combined. You can live very comfortably on that in most of Pittsburgh---just not the most expensive neighborhoods.

My chief concern is that shortly after opening this new facility in Findlay Township, Amazon will announce they are closing their existing facility in Fairywood (City of Pittsburgh) and relocating those jobs out to Findlay Township. I mean people on here complain enough about the congestion on I-376. Taking more jobs from where at least some workers can access them via transit and placing them where all workers MUST drive isn't a "win" to me.

I can't blame the OP for wanting to see Weirton boom. Weirton isn't going to become a success story on its own. It's going to have to hope that more development keeps occurring in Findlay Township, and that some of those new workers might choose Weirton for some reason over, let's say, Coraopolis, for cheap housing in a "town" environment.
Very good response. Your last statement on Weirton is correct. I live here I like it. I know it has had issues for a long time and there is a long way to go. I know there is something going on positive for the first time in decades. There is an influx of people and I’m not sure how big, but it isn’t imagined. They are renovating homes and building a new housing development in Weirton. And it isn’t for no reason. There is demand now and they are apparently expecting more demand in the near future. Otherwise people wouldn’t spending money to renovate and build new homes here. There are smaller businesses filling up old industrial sites along the River. Anything in the airport area could have a positive impact on the Weirton area. I’m excited to see what the immediate future holds. A few hundred new people can make a huge impact on Weirton. I’m cautiously optimistic. That said I don’t have blinders on either as some posters can’t see the forest through the trees when it comes to most of Pittsburgh. Thinking it’s going to magically turn itself around finishing first on bests lists.

And I did notice something is going on in Coraopolis that I haven’t seen in my life there before. Places filling up and buildings getting a facelift.

There is no question the I-79 corridor is where you want to buy a house if you can. The census numbers support what I have seen in person. That is where the money is going. The airport will be the second biggest project next to the cracker plant. I shouldn’t be against the airport renovations. It could help bring more people to my area.

And I would be very surprised if Amazon keeps the Fairywood Pittsburgh warehouse. If they do it will probably be cut back, but I’d expect it to close. 1 million sq foot center is huge and close to the highways and airport. I can’t see them building this and then keeping fairywood which might be a quarter of the size of the new one.

Plus the warehouse in fairywood appears to sit entirely in a floodplain according to fema maps. When you are shipping millions of dollars in merchandise you don’t want your warehouse in a floodplain. Site selection is important. Plus new water lines for fire protection and a better roof to prevent leaks. Fairywood buildings were built in the 70s or 80s.

Floodplain issues are the same reason why the northside jail sold cheap and hazelwood green is slow to develop. Big bucks to insure property there.

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 07-30-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,489 posts, read 11,998,900 times
Reputation: 10581
This is good for Findlay Township, even with the issues that Amazon has as an employer (worker morale is notoriously low, and turnover is very high).

However, the most important thing to note is on the macro level Amazon does not create jobs. It competes in a largely "mature" market of consumer products. Amazon's gain means a loss of market share for brick and mortar retailers, as well as independent distribution centers.

Whether the Pittsburgh employment market overall benefits from this is harder to quantify, but nationally, it's not resulting in a net increase of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh/Anchorage
297 posts, read 331,451 times
Reputation: 277
When there is discussion of technology and automation replacing human jobs, it's interesting the proponents of the tech and A/I industry are quick to point out that new jobs are created within their sector. But when it is tech giant Amazon's new jobs replacing those of brick and mortar (with higher paying "minimum wage" jobs no less), the tune changes.

Regardless, rest assured Amazon does create jobs. Just ask Seattle, Nashville, Crystal City, and Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM
 
3,209 posts, read 2,806,368 times
Reputation: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

However, the most important thing to note is on the macro level Amazon does not create jobs. It competes in a largely "mature" market of consumer products. Amazon's gain means a loss of market share for brick and mortar retailers, as well as independent distribution centers.

.

That is a good point, but the advantages for the common joe are there - the huge corporation probably offers way more in fringe benefits, and advancement opportunities, than do the brick/mortar/independent retailers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top