U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM

11,377 posts, read 14,258,156 times

Advertisements

And you don't pay taxes when you shop in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM

5,942 posts, read 7,065,266 times
I don't shop in the suburbs much because of all the people pissing on the potatoes.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:24 PM

8,789 posts, read 5,467,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't shop in the suburbs much because of all the people pissing on the potatoes.
All the people?

Old 07-31-2019, 04:08 PM

1,164 posts, read 616,027 times
Meanwhile Peduto still hasn't removed the beard. As promised after the Pens lost in the playoffs months ago. He doesn't even keep beard promises!

Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 PM

367 posts, read 134,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Suburbanites DO NOT pay city wage taxes, which is where the increase in city tax revenue is coming from, and there's no city sales tax....

Another swing and a miss...
I didn’t say wage taxes anywhere in my post.

Commuters most certainly pay the Pittsburgh local services tax. Commuters also pay high parking rates as a result of higher taxes on parking. How many millions would the city lose if commuters did not pay the local services tax? I know it’s in the millions and would certainly sink the city budget without us suburbanites paying.

Again it’s taxation without representation. Crap all over the amazon facility going in the suburbs. If it was goin in the city you and the other city homers would be gloating. Not all jobs are leaving the suburbs for the city as some of you think or hope.

Let us know the results of the regatta investigation. I can’t wait to hear those facts

Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,352,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I didn’t say wage taxes anywhere in my post.

Commuters most certainly pay the Pittsburgh local services tax. Commuters also pay high parking rates as a result of higher taxes on parking. How many millions would the city lose if commuters did not pay the local services tax? I know it’s in the millions and would certainly sink the city budget without us suburbanites paying.

Again it’s taxation without representation. Crap all over the amazon facility going in the suburbs. If it was goin in the city you and the other city homers would be gloating. Not all jobs are leaving the suburbs for the city as some of you think or hope.

Let us know the results of the regatta investigation. I can’t wait to hear those facts
It is so painfully obvious you're just a troll and not here for a genuine discussion of any sort. You went on and on about city tax revenue going up because of suburbanites, and that is patently FALSE, and you know it. It is going up because more is being collected in local income taxes which are not paid by suburbanites. Plenty of suburbs charge an LST too. I know this for a fact because I worked in O'Hara Township for several years and had to pay theirs.....

You mentioned the city's increases You don't think people who live in the city pay to park too? That's laughable.

LOL, I didn't even comment in that thread about the Amazon place. I'm actually glad it's going there, because there are much better uses of land in the city than a facility like that. There you go with yet another swing and a miss.....

Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 PM

5,942 posts, read 7,065,266 times
Mental note: Moving to West Virginia is not good for the mood.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It is so painfully obvious you're just a troll and not here for a genuine discussion of any sort. You went on and on about city tax revenue going up because of suburbanites, and that is patently FALSE, and you know it. It is going up because more is being collected in local income taxes which are not paid by suburbanites. Plenty of suburbs charge an LST too. I know this for a fact because I worked in O'Hara Township for several years and had to pay theirs.....

You mentioned the city's increases You don't think people who live in the city pay to park too? That's laughable.

LOL, I didn't even comment in that thread about the Amazon place. I'm actually glad it's going there, because there are much better uses of land in the city than a facility like that. There you go with yet another swing and a miss.....
Iím not a troll. I want the city to grow and prosper, but most of the Pittsburgh area lives outside of the city. The suburbanites do pay taxes and come in to spend money at large events like the regatta. It gets old reading posts by city dwellers looking down on suburbs. Not everyone wants to live in the city limits. Those that donít are still very much a large part of the city whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

Above all it is tragic and a black eye for the region the regatta is cancelled. It shows poor leadership both on the mayor and county executive. Lost money and opportunity for the city.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:45 AM

30,284 posts, read 67,495,989 times
He's not a troll. He's just hoping for more sprawl at the expense of the city because, ultimately, that will help Weirton.

If Findlay Township keeps booming and starts to spill further westward towards Burgettstown, then people in Weirton could have easier commutes to better-paying jobs and/or some people who will be working in Burgettstown might choose to live in Weirton. Weirton isn't going to magically boom again on its own. It needs to better connect itself to Pittsburgh, and the Pittsburgh area sprawling westward is the only way to make that happen. Most likely we'll see more sprawl in the future between Burgettstown and Robinson Township as the Southern Beltway is completed.

Right now you'd have to be an idiot to land a job at Google in Bakery Square or Facebook in the Strip or UPMC in Oakland and choose to commute in from Weirton on a daily basis. If pittsburghaccuweather gets his way, and if more employers set up shop further west, then Weirton doesn't look so bad from a commuting standpoint. Unfortunately for him at the current time most of the better-paying jobs are in Downtown Pittsburgh or the Strip District and then skew east through Oakland and East Liberty.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
He's not a troll. He's just hoping for more sprawl at the expense of the city because, ultimately, that will help Weirton.

If Findlay Township keeps booming and starts to spill further westward towards Burgettstown, then people in Weirton could have easier commutes to better-paying jobs and/or some people who will be working in Burgettstown might choose to live in Weirton. Weirton isn't going to magically boom again on its own. It needs to better connect itself to Pittsburgh, and the Pittsburgh area sprawling westward is the only way to make that happen. Most likely we'll see more sprawl in the future between Burgettstown and Robinson Township as the Southern Beltway is completed.

Right now you'd have to be an idiot to land a job at Google in Bakery Square or Facebook in the Strip or UPMC in Oakland and choose to commute in from Weirton on a daily basis. If pittsburghaccuweather gets his way, and if more employers set up shop further west, then Weirton doesn't look so bad from a commuting standpoint. Unfortunately for him at the current time most of the better-paying jobs are in Downtown Pittsburgh or the Strip District and then skew east through Oakland and East Liberty.
Good post. You are mostly correct, however google and Facebook are such a tiny percentage of jobs in the city. The people who want those jobs typically will choose one of the city neighborhoods. Iím sure they are most likely young engineers and designers. Probably single or just married, but may not have children of their own yet. UPMC for sure is the largest employer and I am not convinced how good those jobs pay relative to the amazon facility going in Findlay. Werenít people protesting UPMC for 15 bucks an hour because pay is so low? People from Weirton arenít going to commute into Oakland, but the airport area and west of the city they will.

However SCR, the big projects are all out west. Beaver cracker plant, new airport modernization, largest new road project in the region (pa-576) and now the amazon distribution facility. Even looking at census estimates of where the growth is going. Like they say go west young man.

On that beltway between the airport and 22 is where GE put their additive manufacturing plant. Amazon is gonna be right there. Again Weirton is getting new development, doubling the water treatment size and new housing in anticipation of growth in the west/ airport area and southern beltway corridor. There are no fancy incentives given out to do this. Somebody is seeing the potential for money to be made. Otherwise it wouldnít be spent now. If the second cracker plant goes in across the River from wheeling then all bets are off. The gas drilling coupled with growth of the airport area will surely lift the northern panhandle and most likely the beaver valley.

I like the city of Pittsburgh. I just donít like the nose up in the air residents thinking they are better than everyone else. Iím disappointed in the fact the regatta is cancelled. I just got the feeling they knew for a while and waited until then11th hour to point fingers instead of coming clean earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh