U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,361,885 times

Advertisements

Saw this somewhere, apologize if it was posted before.

Allegheny County Landslide Portal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

12,491 posts, read 11,998,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Saw this somewhere, apologize if it was posted before.

Allegheny County Landslide Portal
I've seen versions of this before.

One thing that's clear - when you look at maps which slow landslide-prone areas, undermined areas, and flood-prone areas all at once - is why the East End ended up the most desirable part of the city. It's basically the one area you're pretty secure in knowing your front yard won't collapse, a hill won't fall on you, and your street probably won't flood.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

5,941 posts, read 7,060,927 times
Thanks. This is groundbreaking.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 614,674 times
Interesting, thanks. So anything near Rt 28 North forget it...

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
gg

17,977 posts, read 18,322,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Interesting, thanks. So anything near Rt 28 North forget it...
Never had any real problem. Some people see negative in everything though.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

1,162 posts, read 614,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Never had any real problem. Some people see negative in everything though.
Not really. It seems most major landslides occur above Rt 28. Last year a large chunk of Troy Hill. They finally repaired it but further down the road you can already see the road cracking again. An ongoing problem.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

2,712 posts, read 2,054,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Thanks. This is groundbreaking.
Took me a few days but I see what you did there.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

360 posts, read 133,106 times
Great maps thank you for sharing. Another interesting one is the flood maps.

I look at the floodplain maps online. It is pretty eye opening to see what areas are in flood zones. Hazelwood green would actually be the best open plot to build. It is mostly out of the flood zones.

Most of the strip district, cultural district side of downtown, entire north shore extending up to Alcosan as well as station square and a good portion of the southside up to 17th street are all located in floodplains.

The strip district, cultural district and north shore are the worst places to build if you don’t want your building in a flood zone. I cannot imagine the insurance costs for those building in those areas. It has to be astronomical.

With the amount of rain and the lack of proper drainage due to sewer neglect I’d be really hesitant to invest in these areas. It also answers the question of why industrial parkway in the city’s west end was never finished and amazon is building its new complex in Findlay as opposed to that area of the city.

Forget millvale as well. The whole business district is in a dark blue 100 year flood plain. No way would I purchase a home down there without a rescue row boat hooked to the house.

Old Today, 08:18 AM

5,941 posts, read 7,060,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

The strip district, cultural district and north shore are the worst places to build if you donít want your building in a flood zone. I cannot imagine the insurance costs for those building in those areas. It has to be astronomical.

With the amount of rain and the lack of proper drainage due to sewer neglect Iíd be really hesitant to invest in these areas.
It must also be really hard to get people to invest in those areas because of all the very high rent buildings already in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or