U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM

8,238 posts, read 27,211,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah in terms of food that is my issue, I am sure there is great food but I want food I wouldn't make at home. Between my wife and I we cook 90% of the time so I'm not looking for something I can make at home even if not as good as some chef might do. I loved the food when we lived down in FL, so many cultures and good food. I'd love some more food diversity here, specifically south American/Caribbean.
I came from Houston and know exactly what you mean. There are a lot more & better international choices there even in the nicer suburbs, prices are lower and competition is fierce. The well-rated and suggested options here have never quite hit the spot. However I am enjoying the various all-American concoctions a.k.a bar food a.k.a. various glorified kids menus while I'm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 AM

522 posts, read 206,101 times
Yes, not saying old fashioned republicans are gone by any means. I agree on the Libertarian tendencies, my wife and daughter actually call themselves that now and plan to vote that way. I struggle, I know 2 party can not change unless people vote outside but I know in reality at this point voting outside the 2 parties is throwing away a vote and basically voting for the other. Hopefully both of the 2 parties can stop letting their extremes be the voice of the party and let the more middle road have a greater voice.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I came from Houston and know exactly what you mean. There are a lot more & better international choices there even in the nicer suburbs, prices are lower and competition is fierce. The well-rated and suggested options here have never quite hit the spot. However I am enjoying the various all-American concoctions a.k.a bar food a.k.a. various glorified kids menus while I'm here.

That is a good point, more diversity would make it more affordable too. I know Pizza is common but as an example there is a very specific style I like which reminds me of traditional NJ pizza (Mama Lucias near wexford). We went Saturday and I paid $25 for 1 pizza and 2 drinks. There is no other place I can get that so I paid it but in NJ there is a similar pizza shop in every plaza so I could have paid $15 for the same meal which in NJ most everything is more $?.

When I moved here and started living my day to day life I really noticed the overall lack of diversity in this region in terms of people. It really is a very black and white area, little other diversity beside a small pocket here and there.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I love houston area, There is a great food diversity there even in the local food. Still semi close to LA to get those influences some and then Texas has BBQ which is one of my fav plus mexican or tex/mex and close enough to the gulf for seafood influences. We have none of that here really. Pittsburgh traditional local food is more polish or italian in nature I think which just doesnt excite me

Old 08-05-2019, 11:22 AM

7,782 posts, read 4,645,180 times
Quote:
Which restaurants have disappointed?

Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM

364 posts, read 142,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm an openly gay male myself. I've faced some homophobic remarks here in the past but have just ignored it. I also overhear a lot of transphobia at my office but don't speak up against it for fear of retaliation (I've already been fired in the past from a major Pittsburgh employer due to my mouth).

Pittsburgh itself and Allegheny County overall are LGBTQ-friendly; however, we are surrounded by very rural and very socially conservative counties. After all, this is still Pennsylvania. I mean I grew up in Luzerne County, and it is very much like Alabama up there, which is why I moved despite feeling depressed daily knowing my aging relatives need me.

Those more conservative country folks tend to come into the city on weekends for sporting events, concerts, museums, dining, etc. while we more liberal city-dwellers flood OUT of the city to hike at Ohiopyle or check out Fallingwater or camp or do the beach in Erie or something.
Trust me, I get it. I grew up in the Southern Tier of NY just minutes from the PA border. My dad's side of the family is from Central PA and is quite conservative (in about every sense of the word). I can see where Philly feels more removed from "the rest" of PA compared to Pittsburgh.

Quote:
A lot of people in the outer city neighborhoods and suburban areas are averse to bike lanes; are religious to the point of being judgmental; are parochial (have always lived in Pittsburgh and fear newcomers); and think calling our metrosexual mayor homophobic names on Facebook gives them "cred". I try to argue with many of them, but my supposedly large number of fellow city liberals don't back me up (their apathy explains a lot why Hillary lost), so I get vastly outnumbered and back down.

It's funny you say this, because an exceptionally friendly woman living on the hillside of Mt Washington saw my boyfriend and I attempting to take some selfies of the view. She came out of her house just to offer to take some photos and chatted us up quite a bit. She had a lot to say about her disapproval of the mayor and his bike lanes. Although a fan of urban biking and bike lanes myself, I decided to nod politely since I didn't know enough about Pittsburgh's specific situation and she was otherwise so friendly.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:31 AM

1,996 posts, read 1,324,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Hey Yinzers! I just arrived back from a long weekend visit to your city, having previously only driven through the area and stopped through for a quick meal. I am just here to praise your city a bit.

For a city of its size, Pittsburgh has so much to do. Our first night, we camped out in Ohiopyle and did Fallingwater. Once in the city, we did the Andy Warhol Museum, Phipps Conservatory, the Duquesne Incline, Randyland, hiked around Mt Washington, ran the river trail and just explored the Squirrel Hill and Shadyside neighborhoods. By night we went out downtown a bit.

Needless to say, we were not short of things to do for a four day visit (if you include Ohiopyle), and in fact I feel like there were plenty of things we didn't find time for that would warrant another visit. My only regret is not doing enough "foodie" research (I love food, but my "foodie" game is actually pretty bad. We did go to Pamela's which lived up to expectations!)

I also just want to comment on the aesthetic / urban form of your city. I loved the view from Mt Washington (who wouldn't?). I have visited major cities such as Seattle, Portland, Boston, etc. and for me, Pittsburgh's natural setting is second only to San Fransisco in my book. I really enjoyed watching the sun set upon your hills and three rivers. Secondly, I was shocked by how much some of Pittsburgh's urban form reminded me of Philly (in a good and sad way). We stayed on the Northside (Manchester), which had the density, historic rowhome style and Victorian Mansions that all brought me back to home. Like Philly, there were also abandoned and decaying sections.

I only had a few frustrations along the way. Firstly, I was quite surprised by how confusing your roads are. I am sure everyone adjusts while living there, but honestly I found it harder to navigate than a first time in Philly. The trisecting on-ramps when you've gotta figure out where you're going in a heartbeat got me. Perhaps I should blame Google Maps. I was also subjected to some homophobic harassment while walking downtown with my boyfriend. I am sure it is just a random incident that could happen anywhere, but it hasn't happened to me in a long time.

I overall really enjoyed your city. There is so much for which you can all take pride.

Cheers!
I've lived here for 8 years now, and those dand "which road to take" intersections still get me. I need a GPS everywhere I go into the city.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM

364 posts, read 142,772 times
Quote:
I think for me I'd still take Philly food options over Pittsburgh but that might be my own bias growing up close by.
Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting the breadth of which Philly offers. I'm just sure I missed out on some local cuisine and Pittsburgh "must eats."

Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 AM

237 posts, read 93,039 times
I am actually surprised by the relatively large Indian (Greentree area) and Asian (East End neighborhoods) populations. Other than that, it is pretty much B&W with small immigrant pockets here and there (e.g. Beechview, Baldwin/Whitehall).

Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 AM
gg

18,003 posts, read 18,374,700 times
Quote:
I think for me I'd still take Philly food options over Pittsburgh but that might be my own bias growing up close by.
Just not a safe city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or