U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:58 AM

30,326 posts, read 67,568,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just not a safe city.
Eh. Every city has safe and dangerous areas. We vacationed in St. Louis in June. St. Louis, statistically-speaking, is one of the nation's most dangerous cities. Guess what? We survived. We stayed in an AirBNB in a neighborhood called Benton Park (somewhat similar to Friendship in built environment). We explored other neighborhoods like Soulard, Lafayette Square, Shaw, South Grand, Delmar Loop, and the Central West End. We never felt unsafe. In St. Louis the violent crime almost uniformly occurs north of Delmar Boulevard. We stayed south. We were fine.

Same with Philadelphia. It's another "dangerous" city on paper; however, the neighborhoods tourists would typically prance around in? Fine. Same could be said for Pittsburgh. We have very little RANDOM violent crime in Pittsburgh to begin with, and the random violent crime that does occur is almost always in our worst neighborhoods---none of which any tourist would have any reason to visit. Cleveland, too---much of its worst areas are north and east of Downtown and on into the suburb of East Cleveland (like a worse Wilkinsburg). If you stay Downtown, Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, Little Italy, University Circle, Edgewater, and a few other neighborhoods? You're perfectly safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 12:25 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,368,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Eh. Every city has safe and dangerous areas. We vacationed in St. Louis in June. St. Louis, statistically-speaking, is one of the nation's most dangerous cities. Guess what? We survived. We stayed in an AirBNB in a neighborhood called Benton Park (somewhat similar to Friendship in built environment). We explored other neighborhoods like Soulard, Lafayette Square, Shaw, South Grand, Delmar Loop, and the Central West End. We never felt unsafe. In St. Louis the violent crime almost uniformly occurs north of Delmar Boulevard. We stayed south. We were fine.

Same with Philadelphia. It's another "dangerous" city on paper; however, the neighborhoods tourists would typically prance around in? Fine. Same could be said for Pittsburgh. We have very little RANDOM violent crime in Pittsburgh to begin with, and the random violent crime that does occur is almost always in our worst neighborhoods---none of which any tourist would have any reason to visit. Cleveland, too---much of its worst areas are north and east of Downtown and on into the suburb of East Cleveland (like a worse Wilkinsburg). If you stay Downtown, Tremont, Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, Little Italy, University Circle, Edgewater, and a few other neighborhoods? You're perfectly safe.
I feel like in Pittsburgh, it has a much better reputation as being a safe city because unlike a lot of other places, there isn't much in the way of major highways and roads that go through the bad areas of the city. When you're driving on the parkways, you will not see the blight you can on similar highways in other cities. Topography of the area has a lot to do with that though.

Old 08-05-2019, 12:30 PM

237 posts, read 93,039 times
Dear OP:

Sorry for the troglodyte you encountered downtown. I think Pittsburgh feels bigger than it is. What I mean is that you think you are in a large city by the looks of the CBD, but you aren't. I think this lends itself to encounters like this that would just as easily happen in parts of NYC (Staten Island or parts of Queens) but because Pittsburgh is pretty small, you are more likely to encounter it closer to the city center. The fact is, sadly, people everywhere hold these views but I believe it is a growing minority. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

As for the food scene, I have actually had some very good, inventive meals. I can't compare to Philly since I have not spent any real time there. What galls me most is the cost of dining and food (retail) in general. Many have pointed out that this is due to the monopoly of a certain "Big Bird" food retailer, but that wouldn't really account for crazy high restaurant pricing. Is it just the Pgh is too far off the north/south, east/west national supply chain? That might have something to do with it. I once asked someone who worked in management for Wegmans when they would expand westward, and the response was no time soon, as they decided that they were going north and south of their central NY home since new stores on that axis could be more easily supplied (i.e. MA to NC).

Last edited by Charley Barker; 08-05-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM

522 posts, read 206,101 times
Granted I do not know the ins and outs of Philly as I did not live there just lived 45 min away. I wouldn't say Philly is extremely dangerous but I do feel more comfortable overall driving around Pittsburgh. The sprawl in Philly is more extensive so often maybe I was not in a safer area but didnt know it. There is also a different attitude in Philly vs Pittsburgh, it is close to NJ and they tend to have more of a get to the point/less patience than here in general. I wouldnt say unfriendly just a different way of life. One I don't care for which is why I never moved back to NJ

Old 08-05-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
As for the food scene, I have actually had some very good, inventive meals. I can't compare to Philly since I have not spent any real time there. What galls me most is the cost of dining and food (retail) in general. Many have pointed out that this is due to the monopoly of a certain "Big Bird" food retailer, but that wouldn't really account for crazy high restaurant pricing. Is it just the Pgh is too far off the north/south, east/west national supply chain? That might have something to do with it. I once asked someone who worked in management for Wegmans when they would expand westward, and the response was no time soon, as they decided that they were going north and south of their central NY home since new stores on that axis could be more easily supplied (i.e. MA to NC).

I'd love to get a wegmans, prices arent really cheaper but overall they are much better. They have one up in Erie area. I do think dining is expensive for what you get on average. The actual cost of meals here is still pretty low compared to somewhere like NJ/MD/NY. I feel an average meal here is about $15 vs about $20 in those other areas. The issue I have is when you go to a more upscale the prices are more like $25-30 which is the same as those other areas but I dont feel like the food is on par (not all). Here you are paying the extra for the lack of alternatives vs what you are getting IMO.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM

237 posts, read 93,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I'd love to get a wegmans, prices arent really cheaper but overall they are much better. They have one up in Erie area. I do think dining is expensive for what you get on average. The actual cost of meals here is still pretty low compared to somewhere like NJ/MD/NY. I feel an average meal here is about $15 vs about $20 in those other areas. The issue I have is when you go to a more upscale the prices are more like $25-30 which is the same as those other areas but I dont feel like the food is on par (not all). Here you are paying the extra for the lack of alternatives vs what you are getting IMO.

I kind of, sort of agree. It is the more upscale places where I notice the more inflated prices. Places where the food is higher quality and the prep and presentation more inventive. But also look at a place like Cinderlands (Butler St. - haven't tried the one in the Strip) where the food is REALLY good, but the prices are out of whack for what they are doing. I do disagree about Wegman's prices. I think they have higher quality AND lower prices on most items. Until moving here 2 years ago, that was my go to grocer. Their prices were lower than the "Big Bird" from what I recall. I watch our spending like a hawk (actually account for almost every penny every month). Moving here our grocery bill was around 15% higher.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 PM

I rarely frequent the iggle. It is 2 min from my house but travel and extra 10 min to shop at target for some or else longer for Sams/Costco/Trader. Iggle means I forgot 1 or 2 things and really just want to not go out. I'll admit Wegmans I havent been to in some time and it might depend on the region. I shopped most at Wegmans in NJ, I felt the quality and options are the same or better than the upper scale Market District stores. Prices, maybe they are better than iggle but Wegmans is more than the normal places I shop. That said I'd go if they had one since everything else is worth the little extra I might pay. I dont shop at either enough I guess to really compare but they are not a cheap grocer and thats ok.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM

364 posts, read 142,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Dear OP:

Sorry for the troglodyte you encountered downtown. I think Pittsburgh feels bigger than it is. What I mean is that you think you are in a large city by the looks of the CBD, but you aren't. I think this lends itself to encounters like this that would just as easily happen in parts of NYC (Staten Island or parts of Queens) but because Pittsburgh is pretty small, you are more likely to encounter it closer to the city center. The fact is, sadly, people everywhere hold these views but I believe it is a growing minority. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

I think you were able to articulate what I couldn't at the time I was writing this thread, namely why I was particularly surprised. I was walking right in downtown. However your explanation of it all makes total sense. Thank you.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:30 AM

1,172 posts, read 625,662 times
I love it that I often see deer within a few hundreds yards of the Point. One of the great trails is in the woods of Mt. Washington ...

Old 08-06-2019, 08:23 AM
gg

18,003 posts, read 18,374,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I'd love to get a wegmans, prices arent really cheaper but overall they are much better. They have one up in Erie area. .
Been to Wegmans in Erie. I felt the prices were the same as Giant Eagle, but quality was better. It is like a lower end Whole Foods.

If Wegmans was here people would complain about it the same as Giant Eagle in a couple years time. Pittsburgh would complain about everything if given the chance. It is our style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or