U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:10 PM
gg gg started this thread

18,001 posts, read 18,365,355 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I used to go to Dee's in Regent Square and it was a very small bar with a few seats and a great beer selection with good hot dogs. Great service. Now it is huge with a high pace and a lousy vibe. It is Pittsburgh. It used to be fun and not too expensive. Now is isn't all that great for those not rich. I guess if you are coming from Long Island or the Bay Area it is great. For those of us that remember good old Pittsburgh it isn't very good. Now it is filled with panhandlers, people bothering you and so-on.

Times changed. I do enjoy getting out in the suburbs and enjoying good food and drink for a pretty good price, no panhandlers bugging you non-stop, but in the city limits it sucks unless you don't mind dropping $50 fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 06:45 PM

403 posts, read 145,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Many years ago I used to go to Dee's in Regent Square and it was a very small bar with a few seats and a great beer selection with good hot dogs. Great service. Now it is huge with a high pace and a lousy vibe. It is Pittsburgh. It used to be fun and not too expensive. Now is isn't all that great for those not rich. I guess if you are coming from Long Island or the Bay Area it is great. For those of us that remember good old Pittsburgh it isn't very good. Now it is filled with panhandlers, people bothering you and so-on.

Times changed. I do enjoy getting out in the suburbs and enjoying good food and drink for a pretty good price, no panhandlers bugging you non-stop, but in the city limits it sucks unless you don't mind dropping $50 fast.

I feel you...

Come out to Deejays in Weirton. Wed love to have you in for a drink. People are real over here.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 PM

8,819 posts, read 5,488,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I feel you...

Come out to Deejays in Weirton. Wed love to have you in for a drink. People are real over here.
Careful what you wish for

Ive been to DeeJays many times. I really like the outdoor decorations. The palm trees are a warning effect to the often dreary weather in this area.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:46 AM

403 posts, read 145,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Careful what you wish for

Ive been to DeeJays many times. I really like the outdoor decorations. The palm trees are a warning effect to the often dreary weather in this area.
Lol you are right about that. Those palm trees signal a little slice of belly filling paradise in West Virginia. Three Springs Drive has so much traffic on it anymore. I try to get there early before it becomes a 90 minute wait. I can almost taste the ribs with loaded potato skins as I write this response.

The poster is right about dees though. It wasnt long ago you could go there and enjoy a piece of Pittsburgh.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:14 AM

411 posts, read 188,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Agreed. I used to love the food at Dee's (fantastic hot sausage), but they made changes to everything (including the food), and now the food is terrible.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 AM

190 posts, read 46,911 times
DeeJays used to be a small place too.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:11 AM

8,819 posts, read 5,488,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
DeeJays used to be a small place too.
When?

Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 AM

5,959 posts, read 7,084,248 times
Swissvale is too far out.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 623,821 times
My folks used to take me to many joints in the 1970s where the bar entrance and the lounge/restaurant entrance were two separate doors.

My fav South Hills place Amel's still has this. As does Moonlight Cafe in Brookline.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 AM

12,509 posts, read 12,038,290 times
Nobody goes to Dee's anymore. It's too crowded.

Seriously though - Dee's (and the Sharp Edge) played an important role in Pittsburgh when it was hard to find a decent beer selection most other places. Now you can find that stuff basically anywhere. I mean, I can go down the hill to Beirport in Lawrenceville and get a mix-and-match six with a lot less trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh