U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
gg

18,003 posts, read 18,370,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Good article. Without proactive policing and a more aggressive approach we are turning into Detroit. Shame because the police used to be able to actually do their job and throw out the trash. Now they aren't allowed to do anything unless someone gets killed. Then they can step in which of course is too late.

It is time to let the police get tough again when our city was really nice downtown. Let them hit a few idiots over the head and drag them to jail to clean up those streets. The panhandlers have completely taken over our city and that wasn't allowed only a year or so ago. Get rid of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:31 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,816,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Good article. Without proactive policing and a more aggressive approach we are turning into Detroit. Shame because the police used to be able to actually do their job and throw out the trash. Now they aren't allowed to do anything unless someone gets killed. Then they can step in which of course is too late.

It is time to let the police get tough again when our city was really nice downtown. Let them hit a few idiots over the head and drag them to jail to clean up those streets. The panhandlers have completely taken over our city and that wasn't allowed only a year or so ago. Get rid of them.

When was downtown ever "really nice"? There were drugs galore down there in the 1970s and 80s. When we were kids hanging out there at the National Record Mart, any loafing on the street would invite a drug seller in no time at all. I remember a bustling downtown - buses always moving along, crowds shopping in dumpy stores. Litter everywhere.
The hookers made a return in the early 90s.
I remember the late 1990s - you could not walk one block at lunch time without being accosted for money.

Downtowns in old city America have probably always been a zoo since the industrial revolution.

The recent violence is an aberration. I doubt it will become a long term trend. Look at what it is - YOUTHS, just mouthing off and acting like impulsive creatures. It is not a turf war between drug sellers or pimps or anything like that.

The stabbings - bound to happen, but not a plague of violence by the mentally ill.

Old Today, 06:18 AM

60 posts, read 13,821 times
Quote:
I remember the late 1990s - you could not walk one block at lunch time without being accosted for money

What blocks were you walking...??

Old Today, 06:31 AM

14 posts, read 1,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
What blocks were you walking...??
I agree, I worked downtown all through the 90's, as well as before and after that decade, and I cannot recall even once being accosted for money.
Thankfully, I don't work downtown now.

Old Today, 06:57 AM
gg

18,003 posts, read 18,370,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
When was downtown ever "really nice"? There were drugs galore down there in the 1970s and 80s. When we were kids hanging out there at the National Record Mart, any loafing on the street would invite a drug seller in no time at all. I remember a bustling downtown - buses always moving along, crowds shopping in dumpy stores. Litter everywhere.
The hookers made a return in the early 90s.
I remember the late 1990s - you could not walk one block at lunch time without being accosted for money.
I think downtown was nice 2 or 3 years ago and prior for several years. It seemed police had the upper hand because they were allowed to. Now there is an anti-police shift and a more hands off approach, so you have panhandlers everywhere and when you have that broken window effect going it just goes downhill. That is where I see us headed unless Peduto starts supporting proactive policing. Keep in mind, police need to be held accountable for their actions if they are in the wrong like when they attacked the Pagans in the South Side or when they beat the crap out of some kid by the stadium for some odd reason. Cops need to pay the price for stuff like that, but when you let a bunch of kids run down the street hitting people and knocking down old people etc., then cops need to take care of that with force.

I don't think we will see downtown as bad as the late 70's and 80's with hookers everywhere and just full of seedy people. Liberty Ave isn't going back to its old self. Computers took over all that kind of crap in a way. I do see downtown being more unsafe with this hands off approach by police, and I DON'T blame cops for not doing anything proactive. It isn't worth losing your job over. Michael Rosfeld lost his job pulling over a gang in a car filled with bullet holes that just came from an attempted murder moments before when he tried to detain the criminals protecting society from more death. He no longer is a cop. Other officers see this and know to lay low and don't do anything unless there is violence or someone is killed already. That creates and unsafe situation for innocent people if you can't even detain criminals coming from an attempted murder. Hopefully people will get tired of the crime and a very low bar for society and they will want law and order restored, but that isn't happening right now and our class of life will be lowered by the lowlifes that want the bar low.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

60 posts, read 13,821 times
Well, even more apartments etc. are under way for downtown.

The real world sees things differently than all knowing hate the city forums.

Old Today, 09:57 AM

8,829 posts, read 5,490,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
Well, even more apartments etc. are under way for downtown.

The real world sees things differently than all knowing hate the city forums.
It may not be popular to some, but the truth doesn’t equal hate.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

30,321 posts, read 67,559,925 times
I'm fortunate I've never felt unsafe/uncomfortable Downtown, and I walk to my office on First Avenue daily via Grant Street.

Once all the new residents have moved into Terminal 21, Kaufmann's Grand on 5th, Eighth & Penn, Edge 1909, Glasshouse, etc. there will be more foot traffic in/around Downtown, which should further help to quell criminal activity.

I mean Manhattan has almost 2,000,000 people on a small island, and it's thanks to that hyper-density that violent crime overall is nearly non-existent. When there's more eyes and ears all around you, then you're less likely to commit a crime.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

1,449 posts, read 874,070 times
The area around Grant St is safe, your building is safe, my building is safe.

But look, I walked from my office to Market Sq for lunch today.
Walking on Smithfield St (by the Mediterranean restaurant, Subway, and the electronics store) there was a woman standing in the street, dumping her purse's contents all over the street, throwing those objects around, and then lifting her dress up to expose her underwear.
I ate at Market Square and then walked across downtown back to my office.

During all of this, I did not see a single cop on patrol.

I finally saw a cop when I was nearly at my office.

Do you know what they were doing? Ticketing someone on 4th Ave (between Ross and Grant) that had parked (with their 4-ways on) in spaces reserved for senior City leaders.

These priorities are NOT normal.
City Council has their parking protected.
Peduto has his personal security increased.

But the rest of us... apparently we're deplorable racists if we somehow dare to think that we're also worthy of police protection to ensure a safe public environment.

This isn't hyperbole.
This is an incident that I personally observed within the last hour.
It's ridiculous.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

12,517 posts, read 12,042,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
But the rest of us... apparently we're deplorable racists if we somehow dare to think that we're also worthy of police protection to ensure a safe public environment.
I dunno why you feel the need to bring race into it. While the stabber was black, in general the homeless/drug addicted/crazy population passing through downtown is - if anything - majority white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or