U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 07:03 PM

499 posts, read 174,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Benís record in New England is 1 and 5. He looked bad, but the team looks weak. A new coach would probably breath some life in them, but they will never fire Tomlin for obvious reasons.
Ben is either rusty or age finally caught up and heís a 37 year old quarterback. Regardless the rest of the team lacks, punch, playmakers and talent it seems. Defense was trying hard they just arenít good enough. The offense is scary bad. They just look so slow and the WR after ju ju look like a crap shoot so far.

We will see what happens, but they are going to have to look a lot better and quickly.

What is ju jus injury? After this season it may be time to have a fresh look at things. New coaching staff and a new direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:09 PM

9,049 posts, read 5,575,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Ben is either rusty or age finally caught up and he’s a 37 year old quarterback. Regardless the rest of the team lacks, punch, playmakers and talent it seems. Defense was trying hard they just aren’t good enough. The offense is scary bad. They just look so slow and the WR after ju ju look like a crap shoot so far.

We will see what happens, but they are going to have to look a lot better and quickly.

What is ju jus injury? After this season it may be time to have a fresh look at things. New coaching staff and a new direction.
Same thing was said about Ben last season and he was the NFL passing yards leader https://www.pro-football-reference.c...18/passing.htm and finished 4th in the league in qb rating. http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2018

JuJu’s injury is his toe and it’s nothing serious.

Tomlin just signed a 2 year extension. He’s not going anywhere unless he resigns or they don’t renew his contract.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-09-2019 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 PM

296 posts, read 288,549 times
Default Same old Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Regardless of the reason for the drubbing, I can't for the life of me figure out why the starters were in after the middle of the 4th quarter. Now you have injuries to Ju Ju, Pouncey, Haden, and Watt. Sure, if you're keeping Ben in, then you have to keep the OL starters in, but there was no reason to risk any starters at that point.

Also, someone said above that AB wants "another" ring. The only rings he has so far are ones he's bought and likely not paid for.

The starters were in (i.e. Ben) because it gave them a chance to pad their(his) stats. Ben usually does this when facing NE to make things appear closer than what they are. Notice on the last drive when the Steelers were driving and the Pats called a t.oÖ.Reason being the Steelers were trying to score so they were trying to stop them. Tit for tat, if you will. One crucial stat that sums up the Ben era in Pgh. In all three sb years( 05-08-10) the defense didn't allow more than 17 pts/game while Ben didn't throw more than 17 tds in those seasons. Obviously he's a H.O.F. qb but this decade he's been living off of his past accolades.

As for Tomlin well...Let's just stay that the Steelers are very patient to a fault. Never quite understood why a coach whose been at it for over a decade(13th season) doesn't have the authority to hire/fire his own coordinators. It would be comparable to a 12yr old kid still riding a bike with training wheels.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
The starters were in (i.e. Ben) because it gave them a chance to pad their(his) stats. Ben usually does this when facing NE to make things appear closer than what they are. Notice on the last drive when the Steelers were driving and the Pats called a t.o….Reason being the Steelers were trying to score so they were trying to stop them. Tit for tat, if you will. One crucial stat that sums up the Ben era in Pgh. In all three sb years( 05-08-10) the defense didn't allow more than 17 pts/game while Ben didn't throw more than 17 tds in those seasons. Obviously he's a H.O.F. qb but this decade he's been living off of his past accolades.

As for Tomlin well...Let's just stay that the Steelers are very patient to a fault. Never quite understood why a coach whose been at it for over a decade(13th season) doesn't have the authority to hire/fire his own coordinators. It would be comparable to a 12yr old kid still riding a bike with training wheels.
Lol. Ben doesn’t decide who stays in the game and there were no stats to pad last night. It was an old fashioned beating. As far as 2005 and 2010, he only played in 12 games each of those seasons.

His very recent accolades. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...18/passing.htm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2018

Tomlin has a huge say in who his coordinators are, as does most every coach, and they also have the say in whether or not they want to fire them, but please do show links to proof where Tomlin has no say in who he can hire.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-09-2019 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 PM

296 posts, read 288,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. Ben doesnít decide who stays in the game and there were no stats to pad last night. It was an old fashioned beating. As far as 2005 and 2010, he only played in 12 games each of those seasons.

His very recent accolades. https://www.pro-football-reference.c...18/passing.htm

NFL Total Quarterback Rating - National Football League - ESPN

Tomlin has a huge say in who his coordinators are, as does most every coach, and they also have the say in whether or not they want to fire them, but please do show links to proof where Tomlin has no say in who he can hire.
Tomlin's first oc was Arians (internal promotion) whose contract wasn't renewed. Then onto Haley( organizational hire) then onto Fichtner ( internal promotion). Tomlins's first dc wa LeBeau (already here) then onto Butler (internal promo--lb coach)...Which oc/dc did he hire on his own?...I seem to remember Cowher always swapping guys in/out.

As for Ben while those stats look good on paper they haven't produced any titles/sb appearances since 10...Just a decade of stat padding. I always get a good laugh out of the local media (Cook-Douchette) who respond with anything negative about Ben with "Well he's a Hall of Famer"...again that's great and all but he should've been able to accomplish more with the talent around him.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
Tomlin's first oc was Arians (internal promotion) whose contract wasn't renewed. Then onto Haley( organizational hire) then onto Fichtner ( internal promotion). Tomlins's first dc wa LeBeau (already here) then onto Butler (internal promo--lb coach)...Which oc/dc did he hire on his own?...I seem to remember Cowher always swapping guys in/out.

As for Ben while those stats look good on paper they haven't produced any titles/sb appearances since 10...Just a decade of stat padding. I always get a good laugh out of the local media (Cook-Douchette) who respond with anything negative about Ben with "Well he's a Hall of Famer"...again that's great and all but he should've been able to accomplish more with the talent around him.
So by your theory, any qb that doesn’t go to or win more than 2 super bowls in a certain amount of time is just a stat padder, lol. Better get a lot of qb’s out of the hall of fame and keep future ones that don’t fit your parameters from getting in, lol.

There was much talk that Tomlin and the organization didn’t want Arians anymore and they “retired” him.

What guys do you remember Cowher swapping in/out?

How do you know Tomlin didn’t have anything to do with bringing in/keeping Haley, LaBeau, Butler, and Fichtner?

Ben only runs the offense. He doesn’t have anything to do with the defense or special teams. Tomlin, much like with the offense, oversees all 3 facets.

Tomlin’s expiration date hit years ago. He has 2 playoff game wins in 9 years, and often looks the fool. He can’t manage the clock, he can’t win a review, he wandered out onto the field during a play(LMAO at that one), only won the playoff game against the Bengals because the Bengals were more of a clown show than the Stiller’s, and for a man that’s main word in his vocabulary is “obviously”, he’s the one living off of past accolades. Without a franchise QB he’d really look ridiculous.

The only way Tomlin gets back to winning anything of significance is if he loses his arrogance and goes back to what got him the job to begin with, and that’s unlikely to happen. He only received a 2 year extension because it’s obvious that he needs to put out or he’s going to be out after this contract. It’s a shame he was given another 2 years.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-09-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 06:12 AM

499 posts, read 174,137 times
I think it’s gonna be interesting. It is only one game and the patriots are the best team in the league. Let’s see what the coming weeks bring. I like seeing a quarter of the games played before coming to a conclusion. That said, on paper I don’t think the team is as good as last years. And they were not a playoff team last year.

Deion Sanders seems to think Ben May retire before the end of the season with a few more games like that. One thing I do agree with, he looked disinterested the whole game. It is the first time watching the Steelers and thinking the same of Ben. I know he’s kicked around the R word before, but I never saw the disinterest on his face an in his body language like in New England. Maybe this is it for him... and really he won two Super Bowls and will be a HOF qb. Does he want to be a part of this **** show

Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I think itís gonna be interesting. It is only one game and the patriots are the best team in the league. Letís see what the coming weeks bring. I like seeing a quarter of the games played before coming to a conclusion. That said, on paper I donít think the team is as good as last years. And they were not a playoff team last year.

Deion Sanders seems to think Ben May retire before the end of the season with a few more games like that. One thing I do agree with, he looked disinterested the whole game. It is the first time watching the Steelers and thinking the same of Ben. I know heís kicked around the R word before, but I never saw the disinterest on his face an in his body language like in New England. Maybe this is it for him... and really he won two Super Bowls and will be a HOF qb. Does he want to be a part of this **** show
He has $68m reasons not to retire. He may go when his contract is up but not before.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 AM

11,433 posts, read 14,349,055 times
Padding his stats? This is Ben, not AB.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Padding his stats? This is Ben, not AB.
Every QB in and that’s ever played in the NFL must only be worried about padding their stats, especially Brees, Peyton Manning, Farve, Fouts, Marino, who only have 4 combined SB wins between them.

Last edited by erieguy; 09-10-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or