U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,037,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
The starters were in (i.e. Ben) because it gave them a chance to pad their(his) stats. Ben usually does this when facing NE to make things appear closer than what they are. Notice on the last drive when the Steelers were driving and the Pats called a t.oÖ.Reason being the Steelers were trying to score so they were trying to stop them. Tit for tat, if you will. One crucial stat that sums up the Ben era in Pgh. In all three sb years( 05-08-10) the defense didn't allow more than 17 pts/game while Ben didn't throw more than 17 tds in those seasons. Obviously he's a H.O.F. qb but this decade he's been living off of his past accolades.

As for Tomlin well...Let's just stay that the Steelers are very patient to a fault. Never quite understood why a coach whose been at it for over a decade(13th season) doesn't have the authority to hire/fire his own coordinators. It would be comparable to a 12yr old kid still riding a bike with training wheels.
This post is so misinformed I'm not sure where to start. The Steelers have the second most wins of any team in the NFL from 2000-2018 and most of this time period is the Big Ben era. The team with the most wins is the New England Patriots and obviously they are the greatest team, head coach, and quarterback of all time. New England makes many teams and quarterbacks look silly and you can't judge Ben or the Steelers simply on their performances against New England. I agree with you in regards to Tomlin and he is a good coach, but he is not a great coach and he cannot adjust to the competition. Tomlin wins when he has superstar players that play well and he doesn't need to make adjustments. New England always takes away your top weapon and in this last game it was JuJu. Tomlin's answer to this was to have Ben throw a plethora of passes to Moncrief and Switzer and keep his top receivers (Samuels, McDonald, Washington, and Johnson) on the bench. Obviously we all know how that played out and Conner was largely ineffective because New England specifically had two goals, stop JuJu and Conner and make the Steelers beat them with their rookies and secondary receiving options. I rewatched the game last night and the playaction pass to the secondary receivers was wide open all night, but instead we had Ben in the shotgun throwing to literally the worst receivers I have seen featured by an NFL team in years or pitching the ball to Conner who had to run into an 8-9 man front while several yards behind the line of scrimmage due to the shotgun snap. Many Steelers fans don't remember the time between Bradshaw and Big Ben and they are going to wish Ben played a few more years when he finally does hang up his cleats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM

296 posts, read 288,762 times
I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played in. Again this is what i'm talking about with him. People go overboard to defend when he plays like garbage. If you have shortcomings in certain areas you scheme around those areas to put yourself in more favorable situations. You also act as if Ben isn't allowed audible in/out of plays. I seem to remember times when he'd mention that he'd see something from the d and change the play. I also seem to remember when he wouldn't audible and then would say "I run they plays that coach calls"...what passive aggressive b.s. I'm also sure you notice with Fichtner(his buddy) that this is Ben's offense. Want to be able to sell the run/playaction...line-up under center. That's football 101. Surely a coach/qb combo of their tenure could figure this out. All of those wins since 2000 haven't meant too much in the playoff picture over the last ten years has it? I've always said this and always will....Ken Whisenhunt was the best oc the Ben ever had. He knew his limitations (which are still the same) and devised a gameplan for him as well as the team so succeed. Playaction/running game/ball control which kept the d fresh. You ever take a look at Ben's playoff numbers for his career? 30tds/24ints 3 fumbles lost. So basically for every big play there's a bad play on his part. All of this for ongoing regular season success to lose to some inferior qbs in the postseason(Bortles--Flacco--TEBOW) 3 playoff wins in the last 8 years.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:31 PM

9,069 posts, read 5,583,455 times
Lol. Ben bashing is hilarious. When did Ben start playing defense and special teams?

How many quarterbacks in their career in the same timespan as Ben has played have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 PM
gg

18,131 posts, read 18,502,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played in.
The sentence should read, I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played. No need for "in" at the end as it is a preposition.

Ben is a franchise quarterback. One of the few. He isn't as good as Brady, but he is very good.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:34 AM

11,433 posts, read 14,354,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The sentence should read, I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played. No need for "in" at the end as it is a preposition.

Ben is a franchise quarterback. One of the few. He isn't as good as Brady, but he is very good.

I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played in, jerk!

There, I fixed it.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I'm judging Ben on all games that he has played in, jerk!

There, I fixed it.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Copanut again

Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 AM

7,522 posts, read 3,856,847 times
Looking at the bright side it`s a good thing the game wasn`t played here. Heads might have been butted and pregnant women may have been choked.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Looking at the bright side it`s a good thing the game wasn`t played here. Heads might have been butted and pregnant women may have been choked.
When has that happened at a Stiller’s or Pats/Stiller’s game in Pittsburgh?

Last edited by erieguy; 09-11-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 AM

11,433 posts, read 14,354,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Benís record in New England is 1 and 5. He looked bad, but the team looks weak. A new coach would probably breath some life in them, but they will never fire Tomlin for obvious reasons.
I think you mean breathe.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM

This should be interesting. If there’s any validity to this case, I’m curious to see if his excuses makers will also blame this on CTE.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or