U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 PM

8,995 posts, read 5,560,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
James Conner had 12 TD runs last season. Le'Veon Bell never had more than nine TD runs in a season.

James Conner had 13 total TDs last season. Le'Veon Bell never had more than 11 total TDs in a season.

Normalizing his season to 16 games (he played only 13), James Conner was on pace for 265 carries for 1,198 rushing yards and 15 TD runs, and 68 catches for 612 receiving yards and one TD catch, for a total of 333 touches for 1,810 total yards from scrimmage, and 16 total TDs.

James Conner doesn't have to be as good as Le'Veon Bell. All he has to be is almost as good for a fraction of the cost and none of the flakiness.
Those are impressive TD stats...and how many yards and receptions did Conner have compared to Bell’s 2017 season?

Normalizing his season to 16 games and achieving those numbers means he has to stay on the field to do that. If/when he does that those numbers may come to fruition.

I never said he has to be as good as Bell. Certain fans who disregard stats because he’s a great story, went to Pitt, and is a PA guy do...and he has to be able to stay on the field to be almost as good as Bell.

I wouldn’t call wanting more money being flaky. Imo he should’ve taken the Stiller’s deal, but he had no contract and per the rules of the NFL didn’t have to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,086,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

I wouldnít call wanting more money being flaky. Imo he shouldíve taken the Stillerís deal, but he had no contract and per the rules of the NFL didnít have to play.
I do agree 100% with this. I have no problem with him hating the franchise tag, and feeling screwed by it. As you stated, he didn't break his contract, as it had expired. I just think he handled the situation poorly. Personally, had I been in his position, and felt the same way, I would have projected myself as a player falling on his sword to protest a flawed system, letting it be known that I would be willing to sacrifice a season to take this stand. Such a stand would have made him a hero to his fellow players, but I don't think Bell has that in him. Jim Brown he ain't.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I do agree 100% with this. I have no problem with him hating the franchise tag, and feeling screwed by it. As you stated, he didn't break his contract, as it had expired. I just think he handled the situation poorly. Personally, had I been in his position, and felt the same way, I would have projected myself as a player falling on his sword to protest a flawed system, letting it be known that I would be willing to sacrifice a season to take this stand. Such a stand would have made him a hero to his fellow players, but I don't think Bell has that in him. Jim Brown he ain't.
He said he was coming back because he thought he had to. When he found out he didn’t have to he didn’t play he didn’t come back. Had he known he didn’t have to play he would’ve likely done what you’re talking about.

The players union agreed to the tag. Taking a stand against it does nothing when your union made the deal for you as a player.

His teammates didn’t want him back so taking a stand certainly didn’t make him look like a hero.

The NFL is a business. When owners treat it like a business they’re given a pass. When a player treats it like a business, fans feelings get hurt and they turn on the player. No doubt Bell is a clown, but when the loophole was found and he didn’t have to play, he said he wasn’t playing and he didn’t.

You’re right about him not being Jim Brown. Bell hasn’t been the subject of domestic abuse allegations.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-14-2019 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 07:32 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,086,144 times
Quote:

Youíre right about him not being Jim Brown. Bell hasnít been the subject of domestic abuse allegations.
Jim Brown is no angel, but he's actually a perfect example of how some folks can be horribly flawed, yet outstanding in other ways (Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby, Trump). Brown's treatment of women is contemptible, yet his work with older gang members that society had written off is worthy of high praise. Keep in mind that many of our greatest historical heroes, were far less than pristine in their personal lives.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Jim Brown is no angel, but he's actually a perfect example of how some folks can be horribly flawed, yet outstanding in other ways (Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby, Trump). Brown's treatment of women is contemptible, yet his work with older gang members that society had written off is worthy of high praise. Keep in mind that many of our greatest historical heroes, were far less than pristine in their personal lives.
Yet he has nothing to do with the Bell situation, and if he played in this era, heíd have likely done the same thing.

NFL is a business and business trumps feelings in the NFL.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:24 PM

637 posts, read 235,707 times
Quote:
Yet he has nothing to do with the Bell situation, and if he played in this era, heíd have likely done the same thing.

NFL is a business and business trumps feelings in the NFL.

Yeah I didnt love the way Bell handled things but his and AB were not the same situation. At least Bell he lived up to his contract, Steelers kept wanting to tag him and he didnt want to risk an injury that may mean he never would play again. He should have just been honest and upfront instead of playing games well into the season though.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I didnt love the way Bell handled things but his and AB were not the same situation. At least Bell he lived up to his contract, Steelers kept wanting to tag him and he didnt want to risk an injury that may mean he never would play again. He should have just been honest and upfront instead of playing games well into the season though.
Who wasnít being honest and played games well into the season?

Old 08-20-2019, 06:11 PM

637 posts, read 235,707 times
Quote:
Who wasnít being honest and played games well into the season?

Bell, he didnt play but kept hinting he would be back at some point with or without. Seemed many players also thought he would be coming in. Just left the team unprepared, I wish he would have just said from the start I am sitting out the year unless I get what I want.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Bell, he didnt play but kept hinting he would be back at some point with or without. Seemed many players also thought he would be coming in. Just left the team unprepared, I wish he would have just said from the start I am sitting out the year unless I get what I want.
He and his agent didn’t know he could sit out without any repercussions. He was coming back for week 10 until he found out about the loophole. His teammates also said they didn’t want him back, so he granted them their wish.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:25 PM
gg

18,105 posts, read 18,471,058 times
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/r...m-mike-mayock/

I honestly think AB has something wrong going on. I think he might have been hit too many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or