Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 02:30 PM

65 posts, read 54,130 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a first-time homebuyer and I need some advice as to how to determine whether or not a house is a good house.

I look at listings on Redfin or Zillow and have a hard time differentiating between the average ones and the truly great ones.

I find myself getting caught up in things like wallpaper, counters, or whether or not this appliance exists or not.

I think I know to focus more on the foundation, condition of the basement, and roof but I don't know how to do that practically.

Is there any advice or resources that you all can point me to to increase my knowledge on figuring out if a home is worth looking at/buying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,539,561 times
You should kick the tires.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,882,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
Hi, I am a first-time homebuyer and I need some advice as to how to determine whether or not a house is a good house.

I look at listings on Redfin or Zillow and have a hard time differentiating between the average ones and the truly great ones.

I find myself getting caught up in things like wallpaper, counters, or whether or not this appliance exists or not.

I think I know to focus more on the foundation, condition of the basement, and roof but I don't know how to do that practically.

Is there any advice or resources that you all can point me to to increase my knowledge on figuring out if a home is worth looking at/buying?
Look at the sellers disclosure forms and look at the age of things such as the roof, furnace, etc. Look at known problems that are disclosed.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM

2,529 posts, read 2,644,332 times
Go with a realtor who has a contact of a contractor to look at a place you're interested in.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM

3,703 posts, read 2,644,568 times
Post your interested listing here and we'll chime in.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:03 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,329,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Post your interested listing here and we'll chime in.
Oh! Yes! I love being nebby!

Old 08-12-2019, 03:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,450,141 times
If there is anything major a half decent realtor can tell immediately (so about 3% of them).

Its tough to have a 'bad house' to be honest, but its easy to pay a 'bad price' for it.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,048,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You should kick the tires.
Doesn’t sound like he chooses to live in a trailer.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:51 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,016,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Go with a realtor who has a contact of a contractor to look at a place you're interested in.

i was going to suggest he find his own inspectors. pay them to do a once-over.

some realtors might just take on a church or social club buddy who is a "roof inspectors" that doesnt actually do a thorough roof inspection - or lie outright and never even get out a ladder. I speak from experience.

how do you know you have a "good" house? educate yourself on looking at the less obvious things - is there a barrier (bed of gravel, a line drain, etc.) at the lower edge of the outer walls. Look at the soffits - do they look warped, damaged...? look at the owner history at the County Real Estate site (although i am not sure what this might tell you about the condition of the house).

what else.....ah, SMELL the basement, garage, and other areas that might be below ground level. does it smell musty?

get back to this thread with questions or concerns - the people here are amazing at their knowledge of real estate and home buying!

one last thing - look at the lintels of the garage door, windows, etc. look also at the mortar on the outer brick walls - do you see bowing in the lintels? popping out of the mortar - or worse, "zig zag" separation (this occurs now and then in Brookline - ive seen it). this kind of gap in the mortar could mean differential settling (over a mine?) or insufficiently compacted ground....

by the way - you looking at new(ish) construction, or a typical old Pgh house?

GOOD LUCK, young man!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,358,482 times
Never ever use the realtors inspector. I am not a fan of home inspectors in general but a realtors inspector has an interest in the closing going through without a hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh