U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:21 PM

8,986 posts, read 5,556,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just 4 in a month. Trend? Probably not, but one needs to keep an eye on this. Maybe Pittsburgh will get back to the 80s someday? Don’t know. Wow.
I wouldn’t consider it an issue if it was indeed self defense. If it was self defense, good for him.

What was better in regards to safety in Pittsburgh in the 80’s? Only the news and newspaper back then versus social media today to report everything that goes on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,382,704 times
The 80s were worse by far regarding safety in town. We had open prostitution on Penn and Liberty among other things.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

8,986 posts, read 5,556,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The 80s were worse by far regarding safety in town. We had open prostitution on Penn and Liberty among other things.
Bingo

Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 PM

30,430 posts, read 67,742,069 times
Overall I still feel safe Downtown.

Walk purposefully and remain vigilant of your surroundings.

Avoid making direct eye contact with those you pass if possible.

At night on the rare occasion I did feel uncomfortable I might have hovered my hand over my pocket/waist area while walking to make others poised to do harm think I was armed and attempt a different target.

Stick to well-lit corridors when possible. Even in the Strip District, which is very safe, I often walk to and from Downtown via Liberty Avenue in the dark instead of Penn Avenue because it's better-lit.

I still feel like random violent crime overall is extremely rare in this city. I mean how many years later now are people still talking about the murders of the Wolfe sisters in East Liberty? Our homicide rate so far in 2019 is half that of Cincinnati, and our cities are the same size.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM
gg

18,097 posts, read 18,466,493 times
Quote:
When reading one of my eloquently written posts one must have some reading comprehension. I clearly wrote, “get back to the 80s someday”. Meaning we might see that again in the future. Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM

I just found this cool tool online as well that details every homicide in the City of Pittsburgh since 2010. You can filter data by year or neighborhood, too. It even tells you what time of day is most likely to feature a homicide (for the city it tends to be Sunday nights into Monday mornings, apparently, over the years).

https://www.alleghenycountyanalytics...ty-pittsburgh/

Old 08-28-2019, 02:35 PM
gg

18,097 posts, read 18,466,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Overall I still feel safe Downtown.

Walk purposefully and remain vigilant of your surroundings.

Avoid making direct eye contact with those you pass if possible.

At night on the rare occasion I did feel uncomfortable I might have hovered my hand over my pocket/waist area while walking to make others poised to do harm think I was armed and attempt a different target.

Stick to well-lit corridors when possible. Even in the Strip District, which is very safe, I often walk to and from Downtown via Liberty Avenue in the dark instead of Penn Avenue because it's better-lit.

I still feel like random violent crime overall is extremely rare in this city. I mean how many years later now are people still talking about the murders of the Wolfe sisters in East Liberty? Our homicide rate so far in 2019 is half that of Cincinnati, and our cities are the same size.
Remember Cincinnati is a dump. We don’t want to be compared to them.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Remember Cincinnati is a dump. We don’t want to be compared to them.
Cincinnati is actually a very nice city. Pittsburgh is, too, despite this weird recent spate of Downtown stabbings.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:19 PM

1,491 posts, read 893,395 times
Quote:
I mean the mentally ill roaming the streets is by no means unique to Pittsburgh. Visit any big city Downtown in this country, and you'll come across people shouting at nothing or swinging their fists into the air or stripping naked and running around, etc.
Ok - but how many big cities have one of their major civic organizations complain to the Mayor about deteriorating public safety downtown, the Mayor dismisses them for their concerns, tries to blame Trump for the problem, and then has a rash of violent crime in the immediate aftermath after it became clear that the Mayor wasn't going to enable his police department to keep the public safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Just another Tuesday night at Gooski's!
Hey, don't disparage Gooski's - even I like it there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Does anyone know WHY so many drug addicts and mentally ill people congregate downtown? I don’t advocate having police force people out of public spaces, but I’m genuinely curious as to why they’re there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I am guessing it's a combination of three things:

1. It's a relatively good place to panhandle.

2. Most have free bus passes, and thus can get to downtown easily.

3. There is a relatively high concentration of social services (compared to other places) providing service to the homeless and drug addicts in and around downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Here's my guesses (as to why it has gone this far):

1.) downtown is the primary public transportation hub
2.) abundant panhandling opportunities (i.e. "I rob banks because that where the money is")
3.) several shelters are located downtown providing food and a place of respite
4.) county social services located in town (Wood St. Commons)
5.) tiny number of residents (and even less with kids), so there are going to be less complaints to "do something"; if there were that many homeless or panhandlers in Brookline or Sq. Hill there would be an outcry

I know the Cultural Trust was ahead of this, but you would think if anyone were going nuts about this, it would be Point Park Univ. I am not sure how they define their physical campus, but any crimes on campus are mandated to be reported to the US Dept of Education under the Clery Act when a school takes federal financial aid (Title IV). I am sure they are working their back channels in City Hall.
I agree with eschaton and Charley.
I'll add my own: because they know they can. The Mayor, and his Progressive backers in the East End, have demonstrated that they will not tolerate intervention against this group of people and their social problems downtown... even though, we all know, what a different tune they would be singing if these types of social problems touched Point Breeze or Squirrel Hill or Highland Park.

Regarding Point Park - they have their own police force. They are not contingent on the tawdry number of Pittsburgh Police officers who are downtown, nor are they dependent on the Social Justice Warrior Mayor to protect their campus and their students.
Point Park University has its own police. As does Duquesne University. Its why their campuses are safe.

The two safest areas of downtown are Point State Park and the 'square' (with the fountain) at PPG Place. The PPG Square doesn't have nearly the amount of social problems that immediately adjacent Market Square has. Because PPG has private security officers who will respectfully but firmly move people along if theyre acting sketchy. The same with Point State Park - it is patrolled by State Park Rangers, who will do the same thing.

It is possible for downtown to be safe. But it requires the will to be pro-active. You cant just shrug your shoulders and blame Trump when you allow people to sit around the bus stop and get high and stab people.

Quote:
I was solicited by a prostitute this morning on Fifth Ave in Uptown.
On Monday, I stepped over a used syringe in the same area.
On Friday, I walked by Bethlehem Haven and there was a mentally ill woman dancing in the middle of the sidewalk while holding a lead pipe in her hand.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:20 PM

483 posts, read 168,694 times
Quote:
Cincinnati is actually a very nice city. Pittsburgh is, too, despite this weird recent spate of Downtown stabbings.
I really like downtown Cincinnati. I think it has the better downtown comparing it to Pittsburgh’s. Overall though I am just not a fan of Cincinnati. I prefer Cleveland between those two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh