U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:03 PM

8,990 posts, read 5,556,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
When reading one of my eloquently written posts one must have some reading comprehension. I clearly wrote, “get back to the 80s someday”. Meaning we might see that again in the future. Hope this helps.
If it wasn’t about safety, what about “get back to the 80’s someday” are you referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 03:02 PM

1,494 posts, read 893,395 times
Quote:
A leader leads.

Mayor Bill Peduto continues to ignore this crucial aspect of elected office ó at least in any area where local leadership could actually make a difference.

Global climate change? State-flouting gun laws? Mr. Peduto will be there, in front of the cameras, taking stands and signing bills that do little except soothe certain citizensí anxieties.
A significant part of this problem is that the powers-that-be pretend much of it doesnít exist. Many incidents that involve police and emergency medical personnel donít make it into city statistics. If the police donít file a report, the incident didnít officially happen.

Thus the disconnect between what officials claim and what citizens actually experience Downtown.
Mr. Peduto excoriates those demanding change as lacking in compassion. But how is it compassionate to let people overdose on city sidewalks or lie in their own filth on church steps? How is it compassionate to let small businesses and great cultural institutions suffer from unaddressed harassment and human debasement?

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...UX1udS4KkGQd7c
Hey - it's not just me, or other evil suburbanites, saying these things.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:22 PM

8,990 posts, read 5,556,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Hey - it's not just me, or other evil suburbanites, saying these things.
Obviously, but homers gonna homer.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
The increase in Downtown stabbings reflects an upward trend in knife attacks citywide in 2019, according to police data. There were 87 aggravated assaults with a knife in the city during 2018, compared to 81 so far in 2019, according to the data. Six of those stabbings took place Downtown this year, compared to three last year. Six stabbings is the highest number in Downtown during the last five years. Downtown saw three stabbings each year between 2015 and 2018; in 2014, there were five, according to the report.
Some Downtown business owners met this week with city and police officials to discuss their concerns. City Councilman R. Daniel Lavelle, who represents Downtown and attended the meeting, said he does not believe the city and its police force are enforcing an existing panhandling ordinance "in its entirety."

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201908290222
Lavelle's comments were interesting.
This needs to have a holistic approach. Not just the provision of more social services - but police enforcement of existing laws, and pro-active patrolling of known trouble-spots.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:46 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,574,363 times
Quote:
Lavelle's comments were interesting.
This needs to have a holistic approach. Not just the provision of more social services - but police enforcement of existing laws, and pro-active patrolling of known trouble-spots.
Based on my read of the article, it sounds like a holistic approach is being taken. This includes a downtown police mini-station staffed with its own dedicated sergeant and officers, as well as additional social services.

I'm not sure more stringent enforcement of panhandling laws will do much, but I can see how a strategy where these laws are enforced more stringently could be a way to increase police presence, and possibly increasing the perception of safety. I don't think a lot of these crimes have been committed by people who are begging near bus stops, ATMs, or restaurants for money. Those people seem to be a separate contingent from the other junkies with more violent tendencies. Maybe I am wrong about this.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:27 AM
gg

18,101 posts, read 18,466,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I'm not sure more stringent enforcement of panhandling laws will do much...
Oh they used to do a lot of good, but you have to remember the timeline and history here. It wasn't long ago you could walk around downtown and not be hassled on every corner by aggressive panhandling. That was because police weren't allowing it. Now with all the protesting and anti-police garbage people are spewing AND the mayor himself wanting less proactive policing we have an escalation in panhandling, drug use on sidewalks, drug dealing, money exchanges and knives flying around. That is the beginning of how broken windows works. It will continue to decline at a slow rate, people will go to the suburbs to shop and enjoy themselves, etc., unless something is done. I think things aren't bad right now, but am looking in the future a bit. I really don't want to deal with TONS of knives/drugs/panhandling on every corner. I will go downtown less if not at all, unless I am seeing a show. Not a big deal really, but it could be a big deal if I am not alone in my thinking.

Pittsburgh has worked very hard to get where they got from the lowly 80's. Hope it can continue to become more upscale and that will build better transportation and infrastructure the is needed. You are not going to get any money from a panhandler that makes $40K a year tax-free. Some make more than that.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Based on my read of the article, it sounds like a holistic approach is being taken. This includes a downtown police mini-station staffed with its own dedicated sergeant and officers, as well as additional social services.
The mini-station has been in operation for a while. Meanwhile, downtown's problems continue to get worse.
There needs to be more police actually walking beats downtown and proactively patrolling.
There needs to be a combination of access to social services AND pro-active policing to ensure the public's safety.

This isn't abstract for me.
I walk by the Bethlehem Haven shelter twice a day.
When the police are there, there are no problems. No loitering, no unsafe environment.

When the police are not there... oh boy...
Last Friday, I walked by a woman dancing on the sidewalk while holding a lead pipe in her hand.
On Monday, I had to avoid stepping on an uncapped syringe that was laying on the sidewalk.
On Tuesday, I was propositioned by a prostitute.
I've seen crack being smoked. I've been grabbed. There are serious social problems that can not be solved solely by social services - the law MUST also be enforced in order to ensure a safe environment for everyone: including those who are suffering from the affliction of mental illness or addiction and have an increased likelihood to be a victim of crime themselves.

These are my experiences. These are not my abstract opinions - these things are real.
The solution can not be to simply add more social services and not add more pro-active policing. And the strategy cant be to simply add a few more cops to sit in an office downtown and only reactively respond to trouble. The police need to be out and proactively patrolling trouble-spots. I know where they are, they know where they are, and posters on this board know where the trouble-spots downtown are.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:33 AM

30,434 posts, read 67,742,069 times
Quote:
And the strategy cant be to simply add a few more cops to sit in an office downtown and only reactively respond to trouble. The police need to be out and proactively patrolling trouble-spots. I know where they are, they know where they are, and posters on this board know where the trouble-spots downtown are.
^ This.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:37 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,574,363 times
Quote:
The mini-station has been in operation for a while. Meanwhile, downtown's problems continue to get worse.
Did you miss the part in the article regarding the difference between a mini-station and a substation? The substation is staffed by officers rotating in and out. The mini-station will have its own dedicated force. I agree that additional presence and patrols are necessary. Maybe we are getting lip service from the mayor, but I hope we are not. I have zero inside info and can only cite what is in the article, which is contrary to what you point out.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,508,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

Pittsburgh has worked very hard to get where they got from the lowly 80's. Hope it can continue to become more upscale and that will build better transportation and infrastructure the is needed. You are not going to get any money from a panhandler that makes $40K a year tax-free. Some make more than that.

This might be splitting hairs a little but I think the 90s were worse in Pgh than the 80s. DT at least still was very active in the 80s and not really crime ridden. It could have some relevance to police presence, IDK, but pretty sure the 90s are generally considered the worst, just as a matter of record. There were more street gangs for sure. And there is kind of a parallel in DC, which had the worst times in the early 90s as well. Weirdly, Baltimore was considered the better city to hang out in that era. That would probably make millenials say WHAT???

Last edited by _Buster; 08-30-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh