U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:20 PM

489 posts, read 168,694 times

Advertisements

Mayor east end strikes again and is taking a beating, rightfully so, for his insane suburb comments. This should anger all you Pittsburgh boosters out there. This is as bad as when Ronald Reagan came to town in 1982 and told people to move to find new jobs or in the early 2000s when Pittsburgh mayor Tom Murphy drove to Cleveland to take a cheaper flight as opposed to flying out of Pittsburgh.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...-mayor-peduto/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 PM

57 posts, read 19,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Mayor east end strikes again and is taking a beating, rightfully so, for his insane suburb comments. This should anger all you Pittsburgh boosters out there. This is as bad as when Ronald Reagan came to town in 1982 and told people to move to find new jobs or in the early 2000s when Pittsburgh mayor Tom Murphy drove to Cleveland to take a cheaper flight as opposed to flying out of Pittsburgh.

Damn, that's a spicy article.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 PM

8,990 posts, read 5,556,678 times
Quote:

All 3 instances are hilarious.

Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM

3,253 posts, read 2,838,467 times
wow, what idiocy.

its not that someone says something questionable. we are all human - don't crucify someone for commentary that you don't agree with, or that had not been though out, maybe.

but this just shows a whole new level of clown shoes progressive liberal attitude.

he would be humming a different tune if they were congregating in Squirrel Hill or on Walnut Street, or camping out along the Grant Street walls near the USX Tower.

Down where Joe Schmoe uses downtown, though? "Put up with it or scrue you", basically.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Quote:

reagan saying people can move - that is the great thing about the US. it is so big, that you can move freely to find work, if needed, across a huge land mass that often has a vibrant economy. in other words, Reagan was right.

murphy going to cleveland - so? shows me he knows something about money. incredible for a democrat, since they excel in using other people's money for so little overall gain of the common good.

peduto sucks. i did not vote for him, and suspected him of getting in when the getting was good. and during his tenure, his administration has done an amazing job of doing nothing, really. he continued what Luke started. then just spent a lot of money for little gains.

anyone could have fostered the bike culture. that is no big achievement.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM

489 posts, read 168,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
reagan saying people can move - that is the great thing about the US. it is so big, that you can move freely to find work, if needed, across a huge land mass that often has a vibrant economy. in other words, Reagan was right.

murphy going to cleveland - so? shows me he knows something about money. incredible for a democrat, since they excel in using other people's money for so little overall gain of the common good.

peduto sucks. i did not vote for him, and suspected him of getting in when the getting was good. and during his tenure, his administration has done an amazing job of doing nothing, really. he continued what Luke started. then just spent a lot of money for little gains.

anyone could have fostered the bike culture. that is no big achievement.
Oh I don’t disagree with you. The Reagan comments are spot on. People don’t choose Pittsburgh or eventually leave for those same reasons. A limited economy that pays less than national averages. Granted some people don’t care and love it here no matter what. Others do care. My point was if a poster was to say the same thing on here as to why Pittsburgh isn’t growing or people choose not to come here they would be faced with a barrage of negative responses that they were wrong and they are a troll etc. But if those people are trolls what does this make your own mayor? He pretty much said take business elsewhere. Who is holding the mayor accountable?

The Murphy thing is the same. I don’t disagree with you either. People want more flights at this airport. Yet people forget or weren’t here when this was a USAir hub. There were no incentive based flights. Locals paid top dollar to fly out of Pittsburgh then. It was the price of convenience of having a direct flight from Pittsburgh to Burlington Vermont or erie pa or Frankfurt Germany. It was expensive. Pittsburgh was a connecting hub for USAir and local flyers and the local economy had very little to do with this airport being a hub. It was more done out of history because the airline was founded here.

And I agree. Luke was a good middle of the road mayor. He was what this city needed and his administration is one of the reasons the city is out of act 47. The comments weren’t as bad by Reagan or Murphy but wow to hear Peduto pretty state he is ok with panhandling downtown and take ur business to the suburbs is insane. That’s not how you grow or build a sustainable city. And people really think the city had a shot at anything amazon? That’s insane too. It’s evident leadership is very poor at city hall. The good thing is at least some neighborhoods are prospering despite it. He is too worried about catering to one group and one area of the city. Downtown is and always will be the bread and butter for the city. Lose that and you can forget about the future of the city of Pittsburgh.

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; Yesterday at 06:10 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

468 posts, read 983,956 times
Quote:

Perhaps the take and opinion from a somewhat detached outsiders perspective can be included here... namely mine.

When I first read what the Mayor said when it broke, I could not but think reality is what is perceived... Yes, all people have the right to be on the public streets of Pittsburgh, and it seems according to the Mayor they have the right to ask for help ($$$) as well... Fine, let's assume/agree this is true, but also understand and accept the countervailing consequences of this. I'm not ascribing right/wrong, Dem/Rep, or any other clumsy binary condition to the situation... I am however stating perception is truth for many, especially for folks not from the area who as with nearly everyone in this country, has instant access to endless sources of news, opinion, reviews, bias, reputation, etc.

Not that Pittsburgh spins in the same solar system for the most part compared to say Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, or San Francisco, but think how often the negative connotation of homeless people, panhandlers, violence, and other issues are made so well known from so many information outlets, regardless of veracity, actual impact, severity, frequency of consequence, etc... We see videos titled "Seattle is Dying", seemingly never ending reports of Portland's protests, rat infested homeless villages overrunning LA, and apps to help people in San Francisco avoid human feces. We have the power to perceive the entire world as we will with a 6" screen hanging out in our pocket, constantly inundated with information to winnow, judge and perceive, many times set to seek out what we want to believe, and what potentially will become our truth. So what does this all mean?

Because we are human, we are hard wired to minimize pain and danger, and maximize pleasure/avoid being hurt or killed. Sure, there is more nuance to it all, but basically 99.999% of us live by the pleasure principal. Once a negative reputation is perceived on one side to be true, earned on the other as fact, it is extremely difficult to have this counteracted so be it is for people or cities... Being known, believed to have the worlds best, vibrant, safe and clean downtown has far different ramifications for tourism/business/desirable livability than being known, believed to have a downtown 'full' of beggars, aggressive bums and knife wielding thugs... No matter where the truth lies, if that could be distilled, fear/disgust trumps the former and leaves a lasting prejudice and stigma no mater how valid, or seemingly over-blown.

IMO the Mayor's statement seemed to minimize, was dismissive, displayed weak, crass, non-inclusive leadership, was divisive, and frankly craven considering the situation *perceived* from folks not having their finger on the the day-to-day Pittsburgh pulse... To me by virtue of device or ignorance it seems he punted the ball, is unaware of the gravity of the situation, and threw downtown businesses/city folk, even potential tourists under the bus, stating noble ideas as a comfortable, easy ruse, an affront to his sworn duties.... So writes an outsider viewing, interpreting from a distant perch one part of the elephant, perceptive yet flawed by human bias, expectation, experience and self-motive... I'm rooting for ya Pittsburgh.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

30,434 posts, read 67,749,201 times
Why do some of you believe this is JUST a Pittsburgh problem?

We've recently been to Columbus, Cleveland, Morgantown, and Cumberland. All of these cities have homeless/addicts/mentally ill just running amok, too. It's a NATIONAL problem, so I don't see what Mayor Peduto is supposed to do about this. We'll be in Erie tomorrow, and I suspect they have "undesirables", too.

Perhaps if we actually had an economy that worked for ALL in this country instead of just favoring the upper classes things would be better?

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
gg

18,103 posts, read 18,466,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

We've recently been to Columbus, Cleveland, Morgantown, and Cumberland. All of these cities have homeless/addicts/mentally ill just running amok, too. It's a NATIONAL problem, so I don't see what Mayor Peduto is supposed to do about this. We'll be in Erie tomorrow, and I suspect they have "undesirables", too.

Perhaps if we actually had an economy that worked for ALL in this country instead of just favoring the upper classes things would be better?
It doesn't matter what other cities have the problem because this city data is for our city only. This wasn't a problem when the police were allowed to keep people moving and not allow all these professional panhandlers in making tons of tax-free money off gullible people that think they are homeless. A few are, but most do quite well according to a lot of sources I have read.

None of this has to do with the economy either. TONS of jobs out there, but these panhandlers have their own schedule, self employed and tax exempt. Doesn't get much better! I may give it a go sometime this winter. Wear some old clothes make some sign saying I need help and enjoy the money tumbling in. Tax free too!!!! Sounds appealing making money off the lefties that seem to fall for things like this super easily.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

we have an economy that favors hard workers.

you see all those central americans running around doing landscaping? in some parts of America, that was already 3 generations ago - and their great-grandchildren have assimilated, and have it so good from their ancestors' backbreaking labor.
maybe 50 years ago, it was italians, i guess...now there are large construction companies bearing their names.

for the more laborious out there, there is a piece of the pie.

the mayor's statement is just stupid. it IS an insult, for all those people in the daily grind. note - the daily grind does NOT mean standing there with a cup, as if you are on the brink of starvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh