Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why do some of you believe this is JUST a Pittsburgh problem?

We've recently been to Columbus, Cleveland, Morgantown, and Cumberland. All of these cities have homeless/addicts/mentally ill just running amok, too. It's a NATIONAL problem, so I don't see what Mayor Peduto is supposed to do about this. We'll be in Erie tomorrow, and I suspect they have "undesirables", too.

Perhaps if we actually had an economy that worked for ALL in this country instead of just favoring the upper classes things would be better?
Of course homelessness and addiction are not a uniquely Pittsburgh problem.
And of course Peduto doesnt have control over Federal or State funding priorities.
But he does have control over the police.

This solution requires a holistic approach. Both social services AND increased law enforcement. Peduto has deflected and deflected and deflected about crime, criminals, and the need for more policing.
Peduto has control over the City of Pittsburgh Police - and the perception is that he is not ordering them to be pro-active with keeping the public safe.

I know, you know, and everyone on this subforum knows that these problems would NOT be tolerated in Point Breeze or Highland Park or Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. Its also very unfair for the mayor to insinuate that those of us who are worried about the deteriorating public safety situation are simply racists...
Quote:
“You will see poor people, you will see minorities, you will see people asking for help downtown,” Peduto said. “If you don’t expect to see it, go to a shopping mall.” source: https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...s-panhandling/
I walk by Bethlehem Haven twice a day. Its a place where services are provided. In the last two weeks, I've walked around a discarded needle that was uncapped, was solicited by a prostitute, and walked by a woman singing and dancing on the sidewalk while holding a lead pipe.

I just finished a year and a half treatment for depression, including taking medication. I don't lack sympathy for the mentally ill.
I spent a Christmas Day in a prison visiting room with my childhood best friend whose opiate addiction led him to a life of crime. I don't lack sympathy for the addicted.
My dad was born in public housing and literally abandoned as a child by his birth mother. He was eventually adopted. After my parents divorced, he was working three jobs and was on food stamps for a short period of time when he lost his primary job. I don't lack sympathy for those who are down on their luck economically and need social services.

But I am *incredibly* SICK AND TIRED of being treated like a racist who deserves no sympathy simply because I dare to feel that I am worthy of being in a safe environment in public!! I don't want to be stabbed, I don't want to get cracked in the head by a crackhead swinging a pipe around, and I don't want to get HIV because I stepped on a needle that some idiot threw onto the sidewalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No one wants to be among addicts, the homeless or the mentally ill, but they have every right to occupy public spaces as you and I.
They have every right to be there as long as they follow the same laws as the rest of society. THAT'S the catch.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:30 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
They have every right to be there as long as they follow the same laws as the rest of society. THAT'S the catch.
Bingo

Old 09-06-2019, 03:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
we have an economy that favors hard workers.

you see all those central americans running around doing landscaping? in some parts of America, that was already 3 generations ago - and their great-grandchildren have assimilated, and have it so good from their ancestors' backbreaking labor.
maybe 50 years ago, it was italians, i guess...now there are large construction companies bearing their names.

for the more laborious out there, there is a piece of the pie.

the mayor's statement is just stupid. it IS an insult, for all those people in the daily grind. note - the daily grind does NOT mean standing there with a cup, as if you are on the brink of starvation.
I find it insulting as well Peduto can kiss my ass. It isn’t a crime to work hard and save money to a point you became well off. Looks like Peduto is pretty well fed himself. I now am in the camp of disliking him.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
^ Fixed for you.
Sorry but if you can’t find good work in this brisk economy it is on you and only you.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM

179 posts, read 106,770 times
Quote:
Why do some of you believe this is JUST a Pittsburgh problem?
Who were you referring to?

Old 09-06-2019, 07:08 PM

615 posts, read 393,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sorry but if you can’t find good work in this brisk economy it is on you and only you.

I agree. If you are willing to work and flexible to go anywhere, whether it’s pittsburgh, a bigger city, the Midwest, the south or a rural area you can do well for yourself.

Humans like comfort, calm and not drastic change. Moving to a new state for a new job is difficult. Most people are fearful of it. Basically a fear of the unknown.

If you care about making a lot of money and not living paycheck to paycheck you have to job hop around a half dozen times to get to where you want to be. That is just the nature of the beast. You probably have change cities and states as well. If you aren’t willing to do that to get ahead then you shouldn’t complain. That is the only way unless you start your own business somewhere. The days are gone of working 30:years at one company and retiring with a full pension at age 60.

I’ve job hopped twice the past four years. And it has paid tremendous dividends. I was lucky to get the current one as a work remote position. It pays triple of what I made back in 2014 and my pay was good bit above average in Pittsburgh.

Changing jobs is really hard and moving is a pain, but if you do it and take the chance and try it almost always pays off. It also makes you mentally strong and a better person. I think there is a difference between mentally weak and true mental illness. Most people I think fall into the mentally weak category. Their world is full of fear of the unknown.

On the other hand there are plenty of people that choose to live in a place regardless of how much money they make. Those are not the folks I am referring to in this post.

Pittsburgh isn’t known as a destination for landing a great job or high pay. The census stats have reflected that for decades. There are good paying jobs here, but you have to choose the industry where the money is. It isn’t a growth machine here. You have some very lousy wages compared to national average in a lot of employment sectors. Others like oil and gas or blue collar or computers pay very high. If you want to live in Pittsburgh but don’t do the research to tailor your skills to the set that is in demand you probably aren’t going to be making great money. And trying to force this region to pay 15 dollars an hour isn’t realistic. Plenty of homes in the region can be had for under 100K.

It just gets old. Educated and informed folks with everything at their fingertips yet so afraid to take a chance. It’s sad. Immigrants came here with 0 dollars and made it. So I know it’s not impossible. Hardwork, flexibility, time and patience.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:22 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

And I agree. Luke was a good middle of the road mayor. He was what this city needed and his administration is one of the reasons the city is out of act 47. The comments weren’t as bad by Reagan or Murphy but wow to hear Peduto pretty state he is ok with panhandling downtown and take ur business to the suburbs is insane. That’s not how you grow or build a sustainable city. And people really think the city had a shot at anything amazon? That’s insane too. It’s evident leadership is very poor at city hall. The good thing is at least some neighborhoods are prospering despite it. He is too worried about catering to one group and one area of the city. Downtown is and always will be the bread and butter for the city. Lose that and you can forget about the future of the city of Pittsburgh.
Seriously, this guy's out of his mind. Remember when a Pittsburgh mayor would have been on his knees, begging people, "No, don't go to the suburbs! Come here to the city!"? I remember it, because it was about ten years ago. Now this bearded clown stands there and says, "Go to the suburbs." Things haven't changed that much, Bill. You can't afford to take that type of attitude. This isn't San Francisco or Seattle, it's a Rust Belt city that could easily be in as bad shape as Detroit or St. Louis. Once this urban living fad is over and Lawrenceville isn't as trendy-cool as it used to be, what will the city have?

Old 09-06-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Seriously, this guy's out of his mind. Remember when a Pittsburgh mayor would have been on his knees, begging people, "No, don't go to the suburbs! Come here to the city!"? I remember it, because it was about ten years ago. Now this bearded clown stands there and says, "Go to the suburbs." Things haven't changed that much, Bill. You can't afford to take that type of attitude. This isn't San Francisco or Seattle, it's a Rust Belt city that could easily be in as bad shape as Detroit or St. Louis. Once this urban living fad is over and Lawrenceville isn't as trendy-cool as it used to be, what will the city have?
I know. It seems as though Lawrenceville may be cooling off a bit like how the south side flats did at the end of the 2000s. The strip district seems to be the neighborhood of the 2020s. Interest seems to be shifting there now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lawrenceville goes the way of the Southside in a few years and people are just talking about the strip district.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
we have an economy that favors hard workers.

you see all those central americans running around doing landscaping? in some parts of America, that was already 3 generations ago - and their great-grandchildren have assimilated, and have it so good from their ancestors' backbreaking labor.
maybe 50 years ago, it was italians, i guess...now there are large construction companies bearing their names.

for the more laborious out there, there is a piece of the pie.

the mayor's statement is just stupid. it IS an insult, for all those people in the daily grind. note - the daily grind does NOT mean standing there with a cup, as if you are on the brink of starvation.

You can see the Pittsburgh wages for cost of living with regards to tech workers wages and general overall wages. Pittsburgh makes the party for wages in regard to tech workers, but it falls short of some metros that are smaller. In regards to wages overall Pittsburgh isn’t in the top 10 with metros over 1 million folks. If you care about making money and living a lower COL here is where you go.

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m.../47f37b2d4.png

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/09...5T14%3A04%3A42
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh