U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 AM

8,918 posts, read 5,531,690 times

Advertisements

Yep, a lot of “cloud yelling” going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:39 AM

90 posts, read 51,410 times
As someone who used to live in Pittsburgh but moved, all I have to say is be kinder to one another. So much tension and aggression in between people in your city and threads like this are proof. Love your neighbor, try to be respectful of those who have it worse than you, acknowledge your differences, and try to be good.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 AM

30,384 posts, read 67,679,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
As someone who used to live in Pittsburgh but moved, all I have to say is be kinder to one another. So much tension and aggression in between people in your city and threads like this are proof. Love your neighbor, try to be respectful of those who have it worse than you, acknowledge your differences, and try to be good.
Thank you.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:56 AM

212 posts, read 52,539 times
Quote:
So much tension and aggression in between people in your city and threads like this are proof. Love your neighbor, try to be respectful of those who have it worse than you, acknowledge your differences, and try to be good.
I agree with the sentiment, though I would add that Internet forums, Twitter etc. don't reflect the real world fortunately. There's a lot of keyboard warriors on the Internet.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM

8,918 posts, read 5,531,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
I agree with the sentiment, though I would add that Internet forums, Twitter etc. don't reflect the real world fortunately. There's a lot of keyboard warriors on the Internet.
Exactly. Talk is cheap.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:09 AM

1,475 posts, read 886,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Now it seems just like an angry left behind vibe where the group of people 15 years ago the same age were much happier and had a future.
Yup.. I got rear-ended on the 31st St Bridge last night. I have an 07 Focus. He had a 17 Civic.
I wanted to pull off onto Herr's Island/Washington Crossing in order to have a closer look at damage and exchange insurance info in a safe place - safer than the 31st St Bridge at 4:45 PM!
He refused to go to the island with me. He refused to exchange insurance info with me.
He said that it wasnt worth his time and he didnt understand why I was making a big deal of things given that I drove "like a $2,000 car"...
I told him that just because I drive a crappy car, that doesn't give him the right to treat me like crap.

I ended up having to call the Police to come because this guy steadfastly refused to give me his license/registration/insurance info even after HE rear-ended ME!

He didn't believe that I'd actually call the police over something so 'minor', but I certainly did.

Pittsburghers love to believe that they're the reincarnation of Mr Rogers (its that Scots-Irish heritage that makes Pghers believe that they're somehow 'God's chosen people'), but this a-hole last night certainly wasn't a neighbor that I'd want.

I'm so sick of the classism and elitism that is taking over Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pittsburgh handled the G20 better than any city ever. I hope nothing like that comes here again as we wouldn't be able to handle it now. They would stomp all over our weak asses now. We have become a know target. Shame, but I miss our style during the g20. We stood up to the morons.
That's because yours truly was one of the National Guardsman who was activated to protect the City
I worked for Joint Forces Headquarters so got to do a lot for that operation - working out of Hunt Armory, patrolling the streets in Humvees, patrolling the Allegheny River with the Coast Guard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
It has shaken the confidence of the city and people appear to be struggling to cope. You have a mayor pandering to the highly educated east end elites. It is all over television and in the news. The majority ie. other folks may or may not be educated but they are struggling to make it. Have a degree struggling and then they see mayor east end at a ribbon cutting for a new high end housing development while not being pro law enforcement. Itís made us weak and unstable.
It causes A LOT of resentment when those same elites tell us working class folks, who are getting left further and further behind, that we're "privileged" and therefore not allowed to voice our dissent or we'll simply be dismissed as "deplorable racists" who need to get on board with the current program.
Its so ironic that its the elites who tell the working man that the working man is the privileged one. Its sick.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:17 AM

1,909 posts, read 1,377,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Is this a "since the Peduto administration" recent phenomenon, or a "since the G20 summit brought the crusties to Pgh" type recent?
Crusties were here way before G20, this is somewhat recent. Maybe last couple of years and it's worse in warm months of course.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 639,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Not really that much tension here. Pittsburgh is a relatively safe and respectful city. But thanks for the advice...

Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM

1,909 posts, read 1,377,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Not really that much tension here. Pittsburgh is a relatively safe and respectful city. But thanks for the advice...
This is true, what's being reported here is not demonstrative of the city as a whole. Town is a lot safer IMO than it ever was.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 AM

6,015 posts, read 7,391,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
No there really isn't at all despite what two or three posters like to try to push..... I live in Bellevue and have never had anyone look down on me for saying I live there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
This is true, what's being reported here is not demonstrative of the city as a whole. Town is a lot safer IMO than it ever was.
Same with the supposed tensions between working and professional class people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh