U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:16 PM
 
7,810 posts, read 4,660,850 times
Reputation: 8543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yes they had the freedom to choose. This is a no story.
Literally everyone has the freedom to choose not to be paid. Thatís such an incredibly stupid argument

 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
8,883 posts, read 5,509,633 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Literally everyone has the freedom to choose not to be paid. Thatís such an incredibly stupid argument
Except they also had the freedom to choose to get paid.

It is indeed, a non story.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 04:26 PM
 
7,810 posts, read 4,660,850 times
Reputation: 8543
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except they also had the freedom to choose to get paid.

It is indeed, a non story.
Their only option to get paid was to engage in a political activity. If you have any level of objectivity you would see how bad that is.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
826 posts, read 561,802 times
Reputation: 1642
Heh- saw this on Linkedin and thought someone would bring it up hereÖ Iíve commented in here on this project. I am 15 years in the industry. Itís big news down here because they are building it up there instead of TX/LA/MS. And another big one is coming for Ohio/WV. Itís a pretty big deal a President visited, even if his behavior is embarrassing. Iíve worked jobs bigger and smaller than this as a numbers nerd for mgmt. and no president ever visited us. I understand the point, but your local rag is making an attempt at gaslighting. Looks like the NYT is doing the same. But some comments if you have time:
Quote:
Is it remotely possible to do your regular construction job before, during, and immediately after a presidential visit that requires a ton of preparation, additional security, and likely temporary stages and equipment brought in?
Hell no.
Quote:
$700 everyday no way in hell. I was topped out on pay at brackenridge. I was making $504 for a 12 hour day. Sundays were a $1100 day but $700 everyday is not happening on a regular basis.
$700 is right for some guys when you factor all costs. Depends on position. I am a senior grunt in mgmt., worked a project that paid me more than that AND got paid on Sat/Sun to do nothing. And that was cash, some tax free. No TX income tax. Also had a near-Cadillac health plan, 5 weeks of PTO, 9 holidays, etc on top of that.
Quote:
Good to know that you are willing to sell your soul for 700 bucks a day. How did it feel when you bent over?
If I didnít take the job someone else wouldíveÖ probably an L-1 visa holder for 7% cheaper. I have a family to supportÖ paying for summer camps, musical instruments, sports, vacations (a few international), and my kids are still in elem. It is nice medical costs are never a worry and neither is debt besides a mortgage, new Chevy & Honda were paid off in 1 yearÖ and mom could still stay home. On track to retire at 57. If I didnít get into this 15 years ago Iíd probably be out back still smoking chronic every day & playing with loose women, or myself. Then Iíd truly be raping myself, with no one to blame.
Quote:
Besides, if you read these accounts carefully, this is considered overtime so they aren't REALLY being penalized.
I donít know how that works. No one can tell you what the thousands of contract pages say. But every job is sightly different. If you ask me, I believe the number of guys complaining that they had to go & stand there and not break their backs in the elements yet still get paid is zero.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Downtown Cranberry Twp.
8,883 posts, read 5,509,633 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Their only option to get paid was to engage in a political activity. If you have any level of objectivity you would see how bad that is.
As was mentioned before by WhoWasStanwix?,there are legitimate questions. If you’re going to make legitimate accusations you should really look into the answers. However, you ignore to find the answers to those questions, and assume the workers are being treated unfairly because they don’t fit your narrative because of your disdain for Trump.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-17-2019 at 05:09 PM..
 
Old 08-17-2019, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Weirton, W. Va.
416 posts, read 151,436 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Heh- saw this on Linkedin and thought someone would bring it up hereÖ Iíve commented in here on this project. I am 15 years in the industry. Itís big news down here because they are building it up there instead of TX/LA/MS. And another big one is coming for Ohio/WV. Itís a pretty big deal a President visited, even if his behavior is embarrassing. Iíve worked jobs bigger and smaller than this as a numbers nerd for mgmt. and no president ever visited us. I understand the point, but your local rag is making an attempt at gaslighting. Looks like the NYT is doing the same. But some comments if you have time:
Hell no.

$700 is right for some guys when you factor all costs. Depends on position. I am a senior grunt in mgmt., worked a project that paid me more than that AND got paid on Sat/Sun to do nothing. And that was cash, some tax free. No TX income tax. Also had a near-Cadillac health plan, 5 weeks of PTO, 9 holidays, etc on top of that.

If I didnít take the job someone else wouldíveÖ probably an L-1 visa holder for 7% cheaper. I have a family to supportÖ paying for summer camps, musical instruments, sports, vacations (a few international), and my kids are still in elem. It is nice medical costs are never a worry and neither is debt besides a mortgage, new Chevy & Honda were paid off in 1 yearÖ and mom could still stay home. On track to retire at 57. If I didnít get into this 15 years ago Iíd probably be out back still smoking chronic every day & playing with loose women, or myself. Then Iíd truly be raping myself, with no one to blame.

I donít know how that works. No one can tell you what the thousands of contract pages say. But every job is sightly different. If you ask me, I believe the number of guys complaining that they had to go & stand there and not break their backs in the elements yet still get paid is zero.
Thank you for you post. This plant is in the far western reaches of the Pittsburgh metro. I live in the panhandle of West Virginia, Weirton to be exact. We have embraced the industry and are excited about it. I moved here from the city of Pittsburgh 5 years ago. We are 35-40 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. I explained they are building new homes here and there is an influx of people. The city dwellers think this area sucks and it wonít ever grow. Meanwhile the city of Pittsburgh has stuck its nose up at the gas drilling industry and the spinoff jobs that come with it. It is very possible that the far western suburbs and the Ohio valley grow and continue to have a lot of money being spent in the area.

In the city of Pittsburgh they are concerned about catering to one group. Computer gurus that work for google and Facebook. Other industry doesnít matter. And they are complaining about pollution before the plant has been finished.

I think trump is embarrassing, but regardless it is a big deal he came here. Those that embraced this industry hit the lottery while the others will be left behind.

Thank you for posting.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM
 
2,544 posts, read 2,052,335 times
Reputation: 1710
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Heh- saw this on Linkedin and thought someone would bring it up hereÖ Iíve commented in here on this project. I am 15 years in the industry. Itís big news down here because they are building it up there instead of TX/LA/MS. And another big one is coming for Ohio/WV. Itís a pretty big deal a President visited, even if his behavior is embarrassing. Iíve worked jobs bigger and smaller than this as a numbers nerd for mgmt. and no president ever visited us. I understand the point, but your local rag is making an attempt at gaslighting. Looks like the NYT is doing the same. But some comments if you have time:
Hell no.

$700 is right for some guys when you factor all costs. Depends on position. I am a senior grunt in mgmt., worked a project that paid me more than that AND got paid on Sat/Sun to do nothing. And that was cash, some tax free. No TX income tax. Also had a near-Cadillac health plan, 5 weeks of PTO, 9 holidays, etc on top of that.

If I didnít take the job someone else wouldíveÖ probably an L-1 visa holder for 7% cheaper. I have a family to supportÖ paying for summer camps, musical instruments, sports, vacations (a few international), and my kids are still in elem. It is nice medical costs are never a worry and neither is debt besides a mortgage, new Chevy & Honda were paid off in 1 yearÖ and mom could still stay home. On track to retire at 57. If I didnít get into this 15 years ago Iíd probably be out back still smoking chronic every day & playing with loose women, or myself. Then Iíd truly be raping myself, with no one to blame.

I donít know how that works. No one can tell you what the thousands of contract pages say. But every job is sightly different. If you ask me, I believe the number of guys complaining that they had to go & stand there and not break their backs in the elements yet still get paid is zero.
A company paid you in cash? Come on now, maybe paid your per diem in cash but not your wages.

The reason for building the plants here is that it is a happy distance between the gas supply and the plastic manufactures on the east coast. It never would have been built in tx.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
826 posts, read 561,802 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
A company paid you in cash? Come on now, maybe paid your per diem in cash but not your wages.

The reason for building the plants here is that it is a happy distance between the gas supply and the plastic manufactures on the east coast. It never would have been built in tx.
LOL not stacks of $100 bills but that was the monetary portion of it before taxes, that got deposited into my account. There is "cash" which includes straight time, overtime, non taxable per diem & other allowances. And then in addition to "cash" there are company paid benefits that have much value. Such as $2k/month contribution towards family health insurance. 9% dollar for dollar 401k match. And so on.

And of course this could've been built in Texas. For example both ExxonMobil and Chevron had 2 ethylene cracker plants built in Baytown starting about 2011 which came online about 2 years ago. Currently ExxonMobil is having similar plants built in Beaumont and Corpus Christi. And there are proposals being done right now for more between Baton Rouge LA & New Orleans, that would take us through next decade. Liquified Natural Gas manufacturing is also huge in Texas-- look at Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Port Arthur and Sabine Pass Texas. They build one plant and keep building more and more adjacent ones. So of course it could've been here. But that is why we are watching this job down here. It is interesting this shale thing has taken off up there.

BTW- these projects have to be approved by FERC, which are 5 individuals appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. After that, it has to go through state environmental regulations. But timewise, all of this was kicked off during the Obama administration. Trump literally has nothing to do with this, and most people are aware.
 
Old 08-17-2019, 08:16 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
18,026 posts, read 18,396,887 times
Reputation: 11549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Even if all this is true, as a private employer they have a right to assign this as part of their duties. Besides, if you read these accounts carefully, this is considered overtime so they aren't REALLY being penalized.
Yep, but it is hype for some. So silly really. Are we ever going to be smart enough to realize the media s playing us?
 
Old Yesterday, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
202 posts, read 49,356 times
Reputation: 138
I didn't say everything. Saying that I said "everything" is using a straw man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top