U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 PM

22,728 posts, read 24,394,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I don’t want to bash anybody but living in the city of Pittsburgh is terrible advice if you are a commuter and work in beaver. You will go insane being on the other side of a tunnel.
No one has suggested OP live anywhere but north of city center. If they live in the Strip, North Side, even Bellvue, Lawrenceville, or Millvale, there won't be any tunnels to get to Beaver. West Virginia or the suburbs is not at all what OP's asking for. Heck, I'd recommend Sewickley before I'd recommend Weirton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:35 PM

5,983 posts, read 7,115,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
What route are you taking to hit a tunnel from Northside or the Strip to hit a tunnel going to Beaver?

I'm starting to wonder if Weirton even exists.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:37 PM

581 posts, read 219,389 times
I wont say I dont also like the western suburbs, much easier drive to Beaver (my daughter took her Driver Test in Beaver) but for someone who is specifically saying they want to be in the city we have nothing city like to satisfy those wants in Sewickley/Ben Avon/ Bellevue. Though it isn't a bad Uber/drive over to SS. My son does it every once in a while.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:41 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,500,255 times
One thing I can say for sure is that Weirton, WV would be a terrible choice to live for you. The Strip District would probably be what you want for a shorter commute from the city, and has a lot of new apartments/condos. Also consider Penn Ave in downtown if you'd prefer that type of living (renovated old buildings mostly, but a few new ones too). Pretty easy from there to cross a bridge and get on 279 N. What parts of the DC area do you like the best, maybe we can choose similar neighborhoods based on that.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-23-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 06:13 AM

453 posts, read 160,424 times
OP,

My best advice is to come and visit. Check out the different areas and neighborhoods mentioned on this thread. You may see an area that you like that is totally different then what you think you will like. Be open minded about that. If you look in the city you will probably see the tight hiways and roads not really designed to handle rush hour traffic. If you aren’t from the area it will stick out like a sore thumb.

Hancock County, WV is worth a look. Don’t discount beaver valley either. Aside from that I wouldn’t look east of the I-79 Highway. I’d stay west of it. Coraopolis Borough is making a comeback as well. Cranberry down to canonsburg headed west to the airport is your best bet. Check it for yourself.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:51 AM

1,108 posts, read 942,742 times
If price isn't an issue, and you say you want to live in the city, and are coming from DC where traffic/commutes are daily routines, I highly doubt any of the outer suburbs of Pittsburgh are going to be to your liking.

I would agree with most of what has been said. Northside, the strip district, lawrenceville, downtown, possibly the south side or mt Washington.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM

30,372 posts, read 67,673,140 times
From a commuting standpoint (Beaver is indeed a bit of a hike) I'd recommend the Lower North Side neighborhoods (Manchester, Allegheny West, Mexican War Streets, Deutschtown) or the Strip District.

Of those the Strip District is just about 100% yuppified (very little vagrancy---except for on weekends when they set up to mooch off the tourist crowds) whereas you're still going to have transitional/urban issues in the Lower North Side, especially the closer you get to the intersection of Federal & North or East Ohio Street.

You'll probably be looking at a 45-minute commute to/from Beaver, but if you already live in the DC Metro Area a 45-minute commute is "average" there (while being a long commute here).

If I were you I'd choose the Strip District. It's only going to keep getting better in the coming years with a lot of new projects in the works. Sewickley is the only thing remotely "urban" between Pittsburgh and Beaver, and while it's certainly a quaint walkable town (thinks Falls Church) it lends itself more towards professional class families than active middle-aged singles (the Strip District has more of these). I also think ~80% of Strip District residents possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher, which is the highest percentage of any city neighborhood, if I'm not mistaken. You can also split the difference and live on the opposite side of the 16th Street Bridge from the Strip District in the Heinz Lofts or the newer Heinz at 950 project. Be advised in the coming years the generally vacant land across Chestnut Street will likely be seeing heavy construction activity, as the Strip District is starting to attract more tech firms (Facebook's building will be done so I believe, as an example).

Old 08-23-2019, 07:53 AM

6,011 posts, read 7,389,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I wont say I dont also like the western suburbs, much easier drive to Beaver (my daughter took her Driver Test in Beaver) but for someone who is specifically saying they want to be in the city we have nothing city like to satisfy those wants in Sewickley/Ben Avon/ Bellevue. Though it isn't a bad Uber/drive over to SS. My son does it every once in a while.
I mean, sure Bellevue is not like Lawrenceville and the South Side at all, but its layout and density isn't too different from what you can find in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside IMO.

I used to live in Lawrenceville before moving to Bellevue, and it honestly takes me no longer to get to the Southside or Squirrel Hill from Bellevue than it did from Lawrenceville. Miles wise, it's longer yes, but instead of dealing with main streets in the city with a 25 mph speed limit and a ton of traffic lights, much of the drive is now on highway. I'm only going to those places on the weekends or after 6 or so too, so rush hour isn't a factor mostly.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM

30,372 posts, read 67,673,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I mean, sure Bellevue is not like Lawrenceville and the South Side at all, but its layout and density isn't too different from what you can find in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside IMO.

I used to live in Lawrenceville before moving to Bellevue, and it honestly takes me no longer to get to the Southside or Squirrel Hill from Bellevue than it did from Lawrenceville. Miles wise, it's longer yes, but instead of dealing with main streets in the city with a 25 mph speed limit and a ton of traffic lights, much of the drive is now on highway. I'm only going to those places on the weekends or after 6 or so too, so rush hour isn't a factor mostly.
Yes. Bellevue is another good choice. It's not "hip", but it has a good population density with an improving business district. I wish Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill could follow Bellevue's lead.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 AM

6,011 posts, read 7,389,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. Bellevue is another good choice. It's not "hip", but it has a good population density with an improving business district. I wish Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill could follow Bellevue's lead.
I take a bus to work so I go through BH regularly, and I think the two biggest problems business district wise at least with Brighton Heights compared to Bellevue is that it has two main streets (Brighton Rd and California Ave) and neither really have a large amount of buildings that were made for small shops and restaurants like we have here. Housing wise, BH isn't too different at all from what you can find in Bellevue, but it unfortunately just lacks the walkable business district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or