Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:16 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
There are also good city neighborhoods like Westwood, Crafton Heights and Beechview that would be a little easier on your commute out to beaver. Beechview is the only city neighborhood that may make you feel closer to DC diversity with the growing Latino population there. Also beechview has a rail line directly into downtown Pittsburgh and out to some very nice south hills suburbs.

GreenTree Borough, Crafton Borough and Carnegie Borough are in the same area as well.

Again, I would suggest to visit and look around the city then checkout the areas I mentioned by where you work. Living in the city in one place may not be the same as living in a city in another. I lived in the city most of my life and visited plenty of other places. You may be surprises that you find a suburb or small town attractive here that you don’t in DC.

If you have never been to Pittsburgh please do yourself a favor and check out these areas and visit first before you decide. Then make the drive out to beaver from where you may like to live. Beaver is a hike from the city limits of Pittsburgh and especially the strip district. I’m not trying to discourage you, but I’m pretty sure that commute would get old very fast once you realize how the road infrastructure and Penn Dot projects don’t mesh very well.
In all fairness to entertain your ideas could we ask the OP to describe their ideal DC neighborhood or inner suburb? Georgetown? Chevy Chase? Bethesda? Reston? Old Town Alexandria? Shaw? Ballston? Clarendon? Takoma Park? Silver Spring? Many of us are somewhat familiar with the DC Metro Area (some of us even used to live there), so we may be able to better match you up with what you ideally seek).

I can't think of anything that would really map over well to the Strip District in Metro DC, though. It's essentially a flat narrow strip of land occupied in its industrial heyday by many warehouses that have now been retrofitted to house loft apartments and condos. There are numerous bars, restaurants, specialty markets, boutiques, etc. sprinkled around the neighborhood as well although they mostly front linear Penn Avenue between 16th Street (closest to Downtown) and 28th Street (closest to Lawrenceville).

I mean I guess the Navy Yard part of DC "sorta" matches up with the Strip---lots of mid-rise mixed-use buildings, flat land, mixed-zoning, etc. Instead of a lot of glass and metal, though, you'll have a lot more in the way of old brick buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
My guess would be ~3,000 (and growing steadily), but I'll defer to Eschaton since he's our resident demographics expert.

Since the population in 2010 was only 616 I'm going to assume this will be the city neighborhood with the largest percentage population increase 2010-2020---and possibly in terms of raw numbers, too.
I'd say it's between 2,000 and 3,000. The bigger apartment projects since 2010 have added approximately 900 new construction units. Then there's the condos, smaller projects, rehabs, etc. There's a lot of stuff which is in the works still, like the next round of Buncher apartment buildings, but there's not enough time left for anything not already underway to be completed and move-in ready by April of next year.

The largest percentage increase is going to be South Shore though, considering only 19 people lived there in 2010 and the Station Square apartments (315 units, IIRC) will be done and have residents by next year.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:34 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
In all fairness to entertain your ideas could we ask the OP to describe their ideal DC neighborhood or inner suburb? Georgetown? Chevy Chase? Bethesda? Reston? Old Town Alexandria? Shaw? Ballston? Clarendon? Takoma Park? Silver Spring? Many of us are somewhat familiar with the DC Metro Area (some of us even used to live there), so we may be able to better match you up with what you ideally seek).

I can't think of anything that would really map over well to the Strip District in Metro DC, though. It's essentially a flat narrow strip of land occupied in its industrial heyday by many warehouses that have now been retrofitted to house loft apartments and condos. There are numerous bars, restaurants, specialty markets, boutiques, etc. sprinkled around the neighborhood as well although they mostly front linear Penn Avenue between 16th Street (closest to Downtown) and 28th Street (closest to Lawrenceville).

I mean I guess the Navy Yard part of DC "sorta" matches up with the Strip---lots of mid-rise mixed-use buildings, flat land, mixed-zoning, etc. Instead of a lot of glass and metal, though, you'll have a lot more in the way of old brick buildings.
It would probably be good, yes. On the other hand my experience spending time in DC there really isn’t a lot that matches up well with Pittsburgh. Both cities are two different animals. That’s why I said how he envisions urban living in DC could be much different in Pittsburgh. I have always liked the city of Pittsburgh and I have my complaints about why I left etc. I always thought of myself as a city person. Then I fell in love with the Weirton area. And just like other rust belt cities I prefer the city of buffalo compared to its suburbs, much like Pittsburgh. But when I go to Detroit or Cleveland I much rather prefer the suburbs over the inner city. I love wear market in Cleveland and downtown Cleveland, but the only neighborhood I really would live in is little Italy.

I just think your tastes could vary from city to city. Some cities I go to I would prefer inner city living compared to the suburbs. On the other hand other cities I would prefer the suburbs over the city itself. If the poster had never been here, they need to explore where they work and where they want to live. Where they think they want to live posting on an internet board may change once you visit there.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Beechview over Downtown when coming from DC with no issue for budget? Just live in Downtown or the Strip, and your commute won’t be that bad at least compared to DC. Honestly, this isn’t that hard but people are muddling it with areas that aren’t what you are looking for and not being helpful.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Sounds like the Strip is the place to be. I'd prefer not to live in the Burbs as I'm single and active. I like to be around a decent amount of people. My current commute is 7 miles and about 30 minutes so 36 miles and 45-50 minutes is fine with me to have a fun and active life when I'm not at work.

If you're not really concerned about commute, the East End might be good for you. This is generally considered everything east of Oakland roughly. East Liberty and Shadyside are the biggest neighborhoods there, and it is a good place to be but it will cost you some commute time. Lawrenceville is another decent option, not considered East End, but a little better commute for you, and has nightlife and some shopping options. Mostly rowhouses in L'ville but there are some apts.

Old 08-24-2019, 02:52 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Beechview over Downtown when coming from DC with no issue for budget? Just live in Downtown or the Strip, and your commute won’t be that bad at least compared to DC. Honestly, this isn’t that hard but people are muddling it with areas that aren’t what you are looking for and not being helpful.
No, it just seems like some would just rather impose where they want the OP to live because of what they like instead of somewhere that would actually meet the OP's criteria.

Old 08-24-2019, 04:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Yeah I'd just take a drive out if you havent. I goto DC/MD for work meetings pretty regular. I really couldnt compare much to here. Maybe Shadyside is semi comparable, southside has more nightlife I feel but the strip is a decent compromise since the others would be a heck of a drive to Beaver. For those that rec the Strip, what is there come evenings? Anytime I've been there most things seem closed, I am mostly there during the days.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:27 PM

Here is a rough attempt at equating some Pgh neighborhoods to DC.

Georgetown - there's no G'town in Pgh as like most cities, but Mexican War streets in the North Side are probably closest for the feel of it. Although there is almost no retail/shopping there, just talking residential.

Penn Quarter - I'd say the Penn Avenue/ cultural district downtown is closest in Pgh. Altough north shore near the stadiums has some similarity too just for the sports oriented stuff.

Navy Yard - probably the Strip District, kinda like navy yard combined with Eastern Market but with a old school look and feel

Adams Morgan - for nightlife, the south side flats.

Dupont Circle - Lawrenceville is probably the closest equivalent in Pgh. but the rowhouses are not nearly as grand as the ones around Dupont.

Midtown/ golden triangle - the area of downtown Pgh near Market Square. a little coincidental since DT Pittsburgh has been known as the golden triangle for much longer

Columbia Heights - East Liberty

Foggy Bottom - Oakland

Cleveland Park - Squirrel Hill

Anywhere facing the National Mall - Pgh equivalent is Grandview Ave in Mt. Washington

U St. corridor / Shaw - not really a good equivalent in Pgh currently but with the redevelopment of the Lower Hill and Uptown going on, this might be similar in the near future.

Last edited by _Buster; 08-24-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-24-2019, 08:01 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I'd just take a drive out if you havent. I goto DC/MD for work meetings pretty regular. I really couldnt compare much to here. Maybe Shadyside is semi comparable, southside has more nightlife I feel but the strip is a decent compromise since the others would be a heck of a drive to Beaver. For those that rec the Strip, what is there come evenings? Anytime I've been there most things seem closed, I am mostly there during the days.
That was my point. Pittsburgh isn’t a 24/7 city like DC. This is two different animals we are talking about. If the OP hasn’t been here before and expecting DC they are in for a letdown. That’s why I said they need to look at the neighborhoods all around before choosing. Pittsburgh is much different than other cities even rust belt peers. What Pittsburgh considers suburbs aren’t really suburbs. Arguably, Half of the south hills like McKeesport, Clariton, glassport, homestead exist because they had their own industry not because they were a suburb of Pittsburgh. And they don’t feel connected to Pittsburgh. This isn’t a big connected metro where you have the City and endless suburbs like in DC out to Charles Town West Virginia.

Pittsburgh is the least dense and probably the most disconnected metro of any with a population of a million or more. Even SCR showed this if Pittsburgh annexed every neighboring municipality the city would only double in size and population would grow but density would be greatly reduced. Allegheny County population density is 1,700 a square mile. City of Pittsburgh is over 5,000 and only 55 square miles. As soon as you leave the city limits it gets very exurban and rural in a hurry. Again much different than DC. They need to visit and see what they are getting into before choosing.

A 36 mile drive in Pittsburgh is much different than a 7 mile drive in DC, which the poster currently drives. You can’t comprehend the inadequacy of the roads here until you see it for yourself. I just don’t believe it would be feasible. And the most hardcore urbanite would tire of that drive round trip day in and day out.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
That was my point. Pittsburgh isn’t a 24/7 city like DC. This is two different animals we are talking about. If the OP hasn’t been here before and expecting DC they are in for a letdown. That’s why I said they need to look at the neighborhoods all around before choosing. Pittsburgh is much different than other cities even rust belt peers. What Pittsburgh considers suburbs aren’t really suburbs. Arguably, Half of the south hills like McKeesport, Clariton, glassport, homestead exist because they had their own industry not because they were a suburb of Pittsburgh. And they don’t feel connected to Pittsburgh. This isn’t a big connected metro where you have the City and endless suburbs like in DC out to Charles Town West Virginia.

Pittsburgh is the least dense and probably the most disconnected metro of any with a population of a million or more. Even SCR showed this if Pittsburgh annexed every neighboring municipality the city would only double in size and population would grow but density would be greatly reduced. Allegheny County population density is 1,700 a square mile. City of Pittsburgh is over 5,000 and only 55 square miles. As soon as you leave the city limits it gets very exurban and rural in a hurry. Again much different than DC. They need to visit and see what they are getting into before choosing.

A 36 mile drive in Pittsburgh is much different than a 7 mile drive in DC, which the poster currently drives. You can’t comprehend the inadequacy of the roads here until you see it for yourself. I just don’t believe it would be feasible. And the most hardcore urbanite would tire of that drive round trip day in and day out.

Well the OP is interested in city, not suburbs. Pgh suburbs are less dense because of hilly areas make development difficult. but the actual areas most people live are more dense than most suburbs in peer ametros. well if you exclude the downtrodden old mill towns that have been on hard times for decades. those are the outliers and I hope they make a comeback but will probably take a long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh