U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,371 posts, read 67,673,140 times
Reputation: 16082

Advertisements

Are you insistent upon living alone?

The reason why I ask is that if you're willing to do a 2-BR apartment with a roommate that opens up many, many more neighborhoods within your budget for $1,600/month split two ways (pretty much any neighborhood, really, except for maybe the Strip District at this point, which has been trending atmospheric in pricing).

When I was fresh out of undergraduate school I moved to the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. I was insistent upon living alone in a 1-BR apartment. As such I had to live far away from the areas popular with younger people and had to live in a rundown apartment. I was still struggling to pay my bills, and being so stressed made it difficult to make friends in a new city.

Colleagues of mine who also moved to the area and who had roommates in 2-BR apartments were less financially-stressed and had an easier time making friends.

The differential in pricing in many parts of the city between a 1-BR and 2-BR apartment are generally going to be negligible. I can say that right now I pay $900/month plus all utilities for a 1-BR to live in a trendy part of the city. I can live comfortably because I split this with my partner. If I was single? I'd be looking for a 2-BR in the ~$1,300/month range and would still be able to live in/near trendier areas within my budget with a roommate. It is very expensive to live alone. I mean if your $800/month maximum budget is assuming the inclusion of utilities that's going to be more difficult to find these days. I think coming from Cleveland you'll be in for some mild sticker shock on rentals, as Cleveland has far fewer expensive neighborhoods for rentals.

If I was you? I'd look for a 2-BR in Bloomfield or Friendship and get a roommate. You could live comfortably (<$800/month each for rent and utilities); you're proximate to bus lines and bike lanes; and you're close to all sorts of fun stuff within a mile or two-mile radius (Lawrenceville, the Strip, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Oakland).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
1,108 posts, read 941,714 times
Reputation: 755
I would absolutely agree with SCR. you will be able to enjoy life in a new city much more by having a roommate and splitting costs. 800/mo can get a 1 br that decent enough in most of the mentioned areas not including utilities, but 1300-1600 can get you a much nicer 2 bedroom in a lot of the same areas. On top of that, if you find a roommate with similar interest you can get instant access to a friend or group of friends to make the transition to the area easy.

something like this would be a good 2 bed option if you found a roommate to split the costs.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...98609320_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 11:47 AM
 
13 posts, read 4,124 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are you insistent upon living alone?

The reason why I ask is that if you're willing to do a 2-BR apartment with a roommate that opens up many, many more neighborhoods within your budget for $1,600/month split two ways (pretty much any neighborhood, really, except for maybe the Strip District at this point, which has been trending atmospheric in pricing).

When I was fresh out of undergraduate school I moved to the Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC. I was insistent upon living alone in a 1-BR apartment. As such I had to live far away from the areas popular with younger people and had to live in a rundown apartment. I was still struggling to pay my bills, and being so stressed made it difficult to make friends in a new city.

Colleagues of mine who also moved to the area and who had roommates in 2-BR apartments were less financially-stressed and had an easier time making friends.

The differential in pricing in many parts of the city between a 1-BR and 2-BR apartment are generally going to be negligible. I can say that right now I pay $900/month plus all utilities for a 1-BR to live in a trendy part of the city. I can live comfortably because I split this with my partner. If I was single? I'd be looking for a 2-BR in the ~$1,300/month range and would still be able to live in/near trendier areas within my budget with a roommate. It is very expensive to live alone. I mean if your $800/month maximum budget is assuming the inclusion of utilities that's going to be more difficult to find these days. I think coming from Cleveland you'll be in for some mild sticker shock on rentals, as Cleveland has far fewer expensive neighborhoods for rentals.

If I was you? I'd look for a 2-BR in Bloomfield or Friendship and get a roommate. You could live comfortably (<$800/month each for rent and utilities); you're proximate to bus lines and bike lanes; and you're close to all sorts of fun stuff within a mile or two-mile radius (Lawrenceville, the Strip, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, Oakland).

Yea Iíd prefer living alone especially since I donít know anyone in Pittsburgh. Also, from what Iíve seen Pittsburgh and Cleveland are pretty similar as far as rental pricing goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Brookline
2,744 posts, read 2,076,137 times
Reputation: 3257
Here is a one bedroom for $820 a month.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ap...956786400.html

You are in the thick of it in South Side, can walk to work, or catch a bus to downtown very easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
3,152 posts, read 2,863,990 times
Reputation: 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
My budget is about $800 a month
Ouch. $800 = student slums in Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM
 
Location: McKeesport
4,550 posts, read 7,489,654 times
Reputation: 3440
I did a search of apartments under $600 on Craigslist and found 986 listings. Many of these are outside of the city, or duplicates, but my point is you have a lot of options for well under your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 08:30 PM
 
2,227 posts, read 1,498,273 times
Reputation: 2222
Well I don't know if the OP is looking for the cheapest place. 600 has got to be sketchy or just depressing and in a bad area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2019, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Brookline
2,744 posts, read 2,076,137 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well I don't know if the OP is looking for the cheapest place. 600 has got to be sketchy or just depressing and in a bad area
Well there are small one bedrooms in Brookline on CL for that price plus utilities and it is one of the safer, quieter neighborhoods with a good connection to downtown for work purposes. Plenty of day to day stuff on the Blvd, but no real means of night life of cool restaurants, but really good tacos! By no means is Brookline exciting, but its affordable, safe, and quiet, and easy to get to work. Itís also a pretty cheap Uber to the more happening parts of town. It could be an affordable option for the first six months or so while the OP finds longer term place more of their liking. I also checked Mt. Washington but there isnít much out there in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 12:38 AM
 
2,227 posts, read 1,498,273 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Well there are small one bedrooms in Brookline on CL for that price plus utilities and it is one of the safer, quieter neighborhoods with a good connection to downtown for work purposes. Plenty of day to day stuff on the Blvd, but no real means of night life of cool restaurants, but really good tacos! By no means is Brookline exciting, but its affordable, safe, and quiet, and easy to get to work. It’s also a pretty cheap Uber to the more happening parts of town. It could be an affordable option for the first six months or so while the OP finds longer term place more of their liking. I also checked Mt. Washington but there isn’t much out there in that price range.



That's gravy if available. but checking out the place in person is pretty important. Realtors can do very good business by photo enhancements I've found out. some people don't really check out the place much before signing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2019, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Ben Avon/Kilbuck
581 posts, read 217,149 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
That's gravy if available. but checking out the place in person is pretty important. Realtors can do very good business by photo enhancements I've found out. some people don't really check out the place much before signing.

Yeah few rentals are managed by Realtors, most are by owner or some by a property management company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top