U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Pittsburgh for work and need to find an apartment fairly quick. Iíve done some research and asked around but would like some more opinions on certain areas.

Oakland - I have found reasonable prices apartments in This area but have been told it can be quite loud with college parties. Is this true for the area? I am a younger person so I donít mind living in a college area but not sure about not getting proper sleep each night lol. Also, is Oakland generally a safe area?

Bellevue - I have also found some decent price apartments in the Bellevue area. What is the reputation of Bellevue? Is it quite? Safe?

I will be working downtown fyi.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 PM

566 posts, read 217,149 times
I dont spend a ton of time in Oakland other than concerts or eating or showing homes but while there are a lot of college students I've never noticed anything crazy even in the evenings. I am sure there is some noise at times but would think you could find something quiet too. As for Bellevue, very different from Oakland. I actually live about 5 min west of there and my mother just sold her home in Bellevue. It is less urban feeling than Oakland even though it is still pretty close to the city. Has a nice downtown, working class town and more family/residential than somewhere like Oakland. Bellevue just opened a few new nicer restaurants, one brewery just opened 2 weeks ago though it's been too busy every time I went to try it. You can be downtown in about 10 miin without traffic, with maybe 20 or so depending on how bad it is that day and which route you take.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:34 PM

446 posts, read 158,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
Hello, I am moving to Pittsburgh for work and need to find an apartment fairly quick. Iíve done some research and asked around but would like some more opinions on certain areas.

Oakland - I have found reasonable prices apartments in This area but have been told it can be quite loud with college parties. Is this true for the area? I am a younger person so I donít mind living in a college area but not sure about not getting proper sleep each night lol. Also, is Oakland generally a safe area?

Bellevue - I have also found some decent price apartments in the Bellevue area. What is the reputation of Bellevue? Is it quite? Safe?

I will be working downtown fyi.

Thanks for your help!
I would avoid Oakland at all costs.

Bellevue is a much better options because it is a good area and safe. The north side would be a good place as well as the city neighborhood of Beechview, which is the only Latino neighborhood in the city and you can walk to the rail station and take the trolley into downtown. I would also recommend Dormont Borough and Mt. Lebanon. They are suburbs that border the city and the rail line cuts through there and through beechview before stopping downtown. You will save a buck or two on rent and all of those neighborhoods are more quiet than Oakland.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,112,979 times
In Oakland, if the street has a bunch of litter, there's probably mostly students on the street because undergraduates can't put the garbage in bags or cans.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:00 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,498,273 times
What is your housing preference (house/rowhouse/condo/apartment)? What is your budget? Is a walkable neighborhood and public transit very important? I wouldn't focus on Oakland or Bellevue probably, but if you respond with the answers to those questions above, then people here can point you in the right direction.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:15 AM

70 posts, read 52,460 times
Living downtown is a great place for a transplant to start out, but if those prices are too high, look for an apartment in the Mexican War Streets section of the North Side, or maybe the Park View apartments.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:42 AM

1,102 posts, read 941,714 times
being a younger person and new to the area, I would suggest looking at the south side, north side, mt Washington, Bloomfield, friendship. All have good access to downtown, plenty of things to do and would be a good choice for a young single person. each has their specific positives and negatives compared to the other.

the biggest problem with Oakland is you are going to typically find either very dumpy outdated, borderline terrible condition apartments or brand new luxury apartments. If a landlord does not have a place rented at this point in Oakland, its very unlikely they will get it rented until Jan or next Aug so you can definitely find good deals on these, but the luxury units are expensive and they won't be cutting rates based on the time of year. Just be aware that it does frequently get pretty hectic. There are quieter portions, but those also are in the portions of the neighborhood that have been considered to be slightly sketchy still.

As mentioned, knowing your budget and list of wants in a neighborhood would be a big help.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:58 AM

9 posts, read 4,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
being a younger person and new to the area, I would suggest looking at the south side, north side, mt Washington, Bloomfield, friendship. All have good access to downtown, plenty of things to do and would be a good choice for a young single person. each has their specific positives and negatives compared to the other.

the biggest problem with Oakland is you are going to typically find either very dumpy outdated, borderline terrible condition apartments or brand new luxury apartments. If a landlord does not have a place rented at this point in Oakland, its very unlikely they will get it rented until Jan or next Aug so you can definitely find good deals on these, but the luxury units are expensive and they won't be cutting rates based on the time of year. Just be aware that it does frequently get pretty hectic. There are quieter portions, but those also are in the portions of the neighborhood that have been considered to be slightly sketchy still.

As mentioned, knowing your budget and list of wants in a neighborhood would be a big help.
My budget is about $800 a month

Old 08-23-2019, 07:12 AM

3,610 posts, read 4,966,863 times
Oakland has two subsets of neighborhoods: "Downtown Oakland" and "Uptown Oakland." Downtown is the area closest to the University of Pittsburgh, roughly anything west of Bellefield Avenue following the Fifth/Forbes avenue corridors. The undergraduate (noisy and messy) area is mostly south of Forbes Avenue. "Uptown," where I lived when I first moved to Pittsburgh in my 20s, is roughly east of Bellefield Avenue and north of Fifth Avenue. It's a lot more sedate and has lots of apartment buildings in your price range for a small apartment. I didn't have a car when I moved here, but it was no problem because I could walk or take a bus almost anywhere. Try looking "uptown." It's a good area for anyone new to the city.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM

6,010 posts, read 7,388,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandguy88 View Post
My budget is about $800 a month
So I'm under 30 and living in Bellevue and I really like it here since it's pretty safe and it's quite walkable to many businesses. It's not exactly urban like Lawrenceville, but it feels much less like a suburb than many areas in the city. I do think it could be one of the more "in" places in the area in the 2020's. I was new to the area though, I think I'd look at Mt. Washington more as there are more in the way of younger people without kids, so it would likely be easier to meet people than Bellevue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or