U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

212 posts, read 51,161 times

Advertisements

There is already a thread for downtown stabbings. In fact, more than one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,494,223 times
Stabbings are actually a very common violence, but downtown it shocks people. Well I guess a lot of stabbings don't happen in the street though, probably more often indoors

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

1,472 posts, read 883,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
There is already a thread for downtown stabbings. In fact, more than one.
Well, there's been more than one stabbing.
This is becoming a weekly occurrence.
It may not interest you, given that you're insulated by hundreds of miles - but some of us are downtown five days a week and this level of violence (the significance of which is denied by the mayor) is of a direct concern to us.
Instead, the mayor just did what he does best - share his opinion on social media about the national Democratic party's strategy and climate change, while completely ignoring this local problem that he denies the importance of. He's an utter disgrace, as are his apologists.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 PM

If it is so common, then utilizing an existing thread makes even more sense.

No need to respond with the boilerplate script that is attached to every comment you make in these threads.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,078,560 times
The homeless problem arose when they closed down places like Mayview. The left was for this because they thought these folks could function on the streets. The right was also for this, as they didn't like paying for those places. Everyone with mental problems doesn't need to be put away, but a significant number of them do. This is a nationwide issue.

Old Today, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Again, I bet dollars to donuts the people involved were of the homeless/addict "community" and they knew one another. Not that it makes it ok, but it's not random either. Notice there was no follow up on the last stabbing; who they were, what precipitated it etc. I selected a portion of your quote because I agree with it. It wouldn't happen because a homeless/addict population in those areas wouldn't be tolerated in the first place. Oakland is the closest neighborhood with those problems and it's tolerated there (nowhere near level of madness in town) because of the mostly student population.
"Two officers used their Tasers on Mr. Martin to no avail during the pursuit before a third officer arrived and helped bring him into custody, according to a criminal complaint. Witnesses said Mr. Martin and Ms. Elder argued for several minutes before she was attacked. Mr. Martin was attempting to buy heroin from Ms. Elder, and the two argued over money, the complaint said.
- https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201908230115 "

I hate the attitudes of the elites of this city. They're all about equality. But folks like me are a bigot if I object to being forced to deal with the social problems that the elites allow to fester. But those same elites would have an aneurysm if those same social problems invaded their neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Disheartening. Pittsburgh's downtown is quite small for so many of these same type of attacks. I guess the broken window vibe we now have with homeless and panhandlers everywhere is just going to create more crime as expected. People don't want to believe it, but broken window is beyond just a theory, it just has too much proof attached to it. I hope we can get some new mayor in there to side more with proactive policing. We need a strong arm down there. Glad the police were there fast though and probably saved some lives.
Indeed. It's a triangle. Its bordered by rivers. Defensively, its very easy to corral and control. We did it during G20.
The thing is, you can look at areas of downtown that are actually notoriously SAFE. These types of shenanigans don't happen at the plaza at PPG Place. Nor do they happen at Point State Park. They're protected by private security and by State Park Rangers. They both know how to keep their areas safe, and clear of riff-raff simply by being pro-active. The Police could learn many lessons from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Yep. When big tax dollars leave and the high rise buildings empty out is when something will change. Unfortunately that may be too late. Something needs to be done now.
Quote:
I don’t think we are there yet, but we could get there in 3 or 4 years if we let it keep going.
If a tech executive or a developer of luxury apartments were to express concerns, then Mayor Pedutohead may actually care.

Quote:
If it is so common, then utilizing an existing thread makes even more sense.

No need to respond with the boilerplate script that is attached to every comment you make in these threads.
Hmm.. easy to criticize me from Atlanta. I'm the one who's here and who's worried about being the victim of violence. I'm the one who's here and who has to get hustled by the beggars when I'm simply trying to get from Point A to Point B. On the way back to my car on Friday after work, I walked by a mentally ill/homeless/addicted person outside of a shelter who was dancing in the sidewalk and had a pipe in her hand. I had no idea what would happen. I actually pulled my Swiss Army knife out of my pocket and had it in my hand (unopened) just in case she would swing that pipe. We have a mayoral administration, and his Progressive backers who live in their elitist East End enclave of privilege, who deny that there's a problem. There IS a serious problem, and it can only begin to be addressed by speaking out and drawing attention to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The homeless problem arose when they closed down places like Mayview. The left was for this because they thought these folks could function on the streets. The right was also for this, as they didn't like paying for those places. Everyone with mental problems doesn't need to be put away, but a significant number of them do. This is a nationwide issue.
Agreed. Liberals are to blame for swinging the pendulum too far away from society's rights to favor patients' rights, and conservatives are also to blame for not wanting to pay for institutions to treat these people and to keep both them and society safe.

Last edited by tyovan4; Today at 04:58 AM..

Old Today, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Hmm.. easy to criticize me from Atlanta. I'm the one who's here and who's worried about being the victim of violence.
I'm back in Pittsburgh a lot, but that's irrelevant and your point has nothing do with reality.

Quote:
We have a mayoral administration, and his Progressive backers who live in their elitist East End enclave of privilege, who deny that there's a problem. There IS a serious problem, and it can only begin to be addressed by speaking out and drawing attention to it.

And that could be your thread. You post the same thing about all of this.

These threads are simply a proxy for that. You aren't winning hearts or minds with this transparent, yet juvenile approach.

Old Today, 07:47 AM
gg

18,043 posts, read 18,416,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Indeed. It's a triangle. Its bordered by rivers. Defensively, its very easy to corral and control. We did it during G20.
I was so proud of Pittsburgh during the g20. We handled it beautifully.

Old Today, 03:10 PM

Quote:
You aren't winning hearts or minds with this transparent, yet juvenile approach
Perhaps I should run for Mayor or County Council then.
The mayor denies that problems exist and blames Trump.
I insist that they exist and blame Peduto.

Quote:
I was so proud of Pittsburgh during the g20. We handled it beautifully.
Anecdotally, Id heard that a lot of the far-left people who came to Pittsburgh initially to protest against G20 were smitten with the (at the time) very low cost of living and decided to settle here.

Old Today, 03:51 PM

Your straw men aside, you should go do that. It's more productive than these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh