U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 883,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A male suspect was taken into custody after a woman was stabbed in the arm Friday afternoon in Downtown Pittsburgh.

City police said the woman was attacked around 12:30 p.m. in Triangle Park in the 600 block of Liberty Avenue at Fifth Avenue and Market Street.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...s/201908230115
This is getting sad, and scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

8,903 posts, read 5,523,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
This is getting sad, and scary.
Fake news

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 883,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Fake news
Only in Pedutoland.
For those of us who dont worship at the First Church of Progressivism, this is all too real. Public safety downtown is a sad joke.
The day after the second stabbing happened, the police were pro-active as they had two sets of two mounted officers patrolling known problem areas (Wood and Smithfield Streets) and they had an officer in a marked car parked in front of another known problem area (Bethlehem Haven on Fifth Ave in Uptown).

When the cops choose to be, they actually can be pro-active with policing. But those days are like lightning striking twice. I'm not sure if the problem is low staffing levels and actually having officers pro-actively patrol downtown drains too much of the available manpower, or if its more of being politically shackled by the pro-criminal Progressive mayor.

If this violence was happening in Shadyside or Point Breeze or Regent Square or Squirrel Hill, it wouldn't be tolerated.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

1,905 posts, read 1,375,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
If this violence was happening in Shadyside or Point Breeze or Regent Square or Squirrel Hill, it wouldn't be tolerated.
Again, I bet dollars to donuts the people involved were of the homeless/addict "community" and they knew one another. Not that it makes it ok, but it's not random either. Notice there was no follow up on the last stabbing; who they were, what precipitated it etc. I selected a portion of your quote because I agree with it. It wouldn't happen because a homeless/addict population in those areas wouldn't be tolerated in the first place. Oakland is the closest neighborhood with those problems and it's tolerated there (nowhere near level of madness in town) because of the mostly student population.

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM
gg

18,043 posts, read 18,416,130 times
Disheartening. Pittsburgh's downtown is quite small for so many of these same type of attacks. I guess the broken window vibe we now have with homeless and panhandlers everywhere is just going to create more crime as expected. People don't want to believe it, but broken window is beyond just a theory, it just has too much proof attached to it. I hope we can get some new mayor in there to side more with proactive policing. We need a strong arm down there. Glad the police were there fast though and probably saved some lives.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

442 posts, read 157,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Disheartening. Pittsburgh's downtown is quite small for so many of these same type of attacks. I guess the broken window vibe we now have with homeless and panhandlers everywhere is just going to create more crime as expected. People don't want to believe it, but broken window is beyond just a theory, it just has too much proof attached to it. I hope we can get some new mayor in there to side more with proactive policing. We need a strong arm down there. Glad the police were there fast though and probably saved some lives.
Yep. When big tax dollars leave and the high rise buildings empty out is when something will change. Unfortunately that may be too late. Something needs to be done now.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
gg

18,043 posts, read 18,416,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Yep. When big tax dollars leave and the high rise buildings empty out is when something will change. Unfortunately that may be too late. Something needs to be done now.
I donít think we are there yet, but we could get there in 3 or 4 years if we let it keep going.

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,566,724 times
I think at this point any leader worth their salt would be addressing the town with a public statement acknowledging the incident, discussing any temporary measures being taken, and announcing (or reminding) of any longer term plans in place. It’s either been crickets or just not getting coverage.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

8,903 posts, read 5,523,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I think at this point any leader worth their salt would be addressing the town with a public statement acknowledging the incident, discussing any temporary measures being taken, and announcing (or reminding) of any longer term plans in place. Itís either been crickets or just not getting coverage.
That draws bad publicity. He only wants good publicity, especially since the first stabbing was a nationwide story.

Besides, if itís not random and itís instead drug related, itís no big deal

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

442 posts, read 157,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I donít think we are there yet, but we could get there in 3 or 4 years if we let it keep going.
Yes it will and there goes the economic engine of Pittsburgh. Somebody needs to do something. I donít agree with Peduto on much, but the worst thing heís done by far is alienate the police department. The things he said and done in regard to that is is going to haunt him till heís out. And it could have a lasting damaging impact on Pittsburgh. If I was a cop I wouldnít be motivated to help him out or look good. Itís sad because the long term impact of this economically could be devastating to the city. Tons of old high rises emptying out. A loss of tax revenue for the city and then landlords not doing routine maintenance. Imagine a ghetto abandoned downtown with buildings ready to fall over. That would be terrible.

I donít think a lot of people can grasp and understand how big this really is. If you lose your revenue stream as a building owner you canít maintain it. Pittsburgh has a lot of old high rises to begin with. Fixing them up and renovating is cost prohibitive as opposed to tearing down and building new. Especially the tall old skinny buildings not up to code with one internal exit stairwell.

Itís not gonna matter how nice Lawrenceville is if downtown becomes a ghost town laden with homeless and crime. Iíve argued for a while there are some posters on here reflective of the mayor with their heads buried in the sand. They are so quick to tout a few neighborhoods on the east end and pat themselves on the back for those small victories while the biggest part of your ship is starting to crack at the seams and leak water.

And to their credit the those posters are half right. These folks may be coming in from other parts of the city or maybe a decrepit suburb. Thatís why I think itís vital to try and repair those transit corridors with people that want to live in there and have a little more self worth and self respect. Wouldnít it be nice to have a diverse crowd of families coming in on buses instead of squatters or druggies catching the light rail in from one of the forgotten neighborhoods and loses it because they have no hope on top of mental issues. Itís bigger than people realize and the silo focus is hurting this city not helping it. We need to make it a place all people want to live not just those sipping lattes and paying 2k in rent in Lawrenceville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh