U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 AM

614 posts, read 227,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So maybe solo for both is a better fit. I wish them both well. Wendy is a nine-time Emmy Award winner, with two Edward R. Murrow awards and a National Headliner -- winning first place for an expose on airline ticket prices. She is the top of the top in Pittsburgh or was. She exposed the double standard like no other in our area, yet it got swept under the rug.

Not comparing the actions but look at all of Weinstein's awards, doesnt make someone a good person.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/awards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:38 AM

11,417 posts, read 14,327,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So maybe solo for both is a better fit. I wish them both well. Wendy is a nine-time Emmy Award winner, with two Edward R. Murrow awards and a National Headliner -- winning first place for an expose on airline ticket prices. She is the top of the top in Pittsburgh or was. She exposed the double standard like no other in our area, yet it got swept under the rug.
You better explain who that is to the "youngsters" on this forum.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,380,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i don't know if i can agree with that. her show with marty is not good. there is no chemistry. they are two of the same - not a good mix for a radio show. one person needs to contrast the other.

their discussions seem to get nowhere even with a guest, they dont ask the hardhitting, obvious questions. the banter of one does not seem to complement the other.

i am not sure this reflects on either wendy or marty,though - the show may be bad (in my opinion,of course) but they could have success solo, or with a better-suited partner.

Marty seems disinterested in her commentary, or conversely just agrees with her on everything. She's probably hogging his spotlight as he's a narcissist. They're both self serving blowhards and the only radio guy KDKA has left worth listening to is Chris Moore IMO.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:41 AM

3,240 posts, read 2,834,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Marty seems disinterested in her commentary, or conversely just agrees with her on everything. She's probably hogging his spotlight as he's a narcissist. They're both self serving blowhards and the only radio guy KDKA has left worth listening to is Chris Moore IMO.
really?

i disagree with him maybe 70% of the time. unlike a lot of people, that would not ordinarily deter me from appreciating another perspective....

but the conversation on the show is so often about victimization. these narratives are reinforced all the time, about how everyone is a victim, white have privilege, everything is a fraud, everything is corrupt, everything is going to hell because of the paradigms set for and maintained by white america.

last Sunday a woman called and read a literally 2 minute long list of scientific achievements by black americans. her point was that these achievements were never taught (in school?). it wasn't about the telephone, or consumer goods and computers, which a lot of people know about. these were things that were useful and ubiquitous (eg. baby incubator), but not the types of things that people hold dear (smart phones and the like). who ever hears about the invention of baby incubators? who would retain that snippet of knowledge?

i hear that and think if she were a white woman talking about inventions by whites, that would be white supremacy show!

i can barely listen to that show for long, for that reason - the whiny victimization, 'respect us!' attitude. there is nothing i can learn from - no real substance.

there is a show on WRCT (CMU's station) with two african-american guys as hosts - same thing.

so i would agree, norcider, Chris is 'worth listening to', but i usually can't stand him or the content of the show for too long.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,380,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
really?

i disagree with him maybe 70% of the time. unlike a lot of people, that would not ordinarily deter me from appreciating another perspective....

but the conversation on the show is so often about victimization. these narratives are reinforced all the time, about how everyone is a victim, white have privilege, everything is a fraud, everything is corrupt, everything is going to hell because of the paradigms set for and maintained by white america.

last Sunday a woman called and read a literally 2 minute long list of scientific achievements by black americans. her point was that these achievements were never taught (in school?). it wasn't about the telephone, or consumer goods and computers, which a lot of people know about. these were things that were useful and ubiquitous (eg. baby incubator), but not the types of things that people hold dear (smart phones and the like). who ever hears about the invention of baby incubators? who would retain that snippet of knowledge?

i hear that and think if she were a white woman talking about inventions by whites, that would be white supremacy show!

i can barely listen to that show for long, for that reason - the whiny victimization, 'respect us!' attitude. there is nothing i can learn from - no real substance.

there is a show on WRCT (CMU's station) with two african-american guys as hosts - same thing.

so i would agree, norcider, Chris is 'worth listening to', but i usually can't stand him or the content of the show for too long.
Wendy plays the woe is us white people crap so much it’s cliche at this point. Then she gets the base all fired up to call in and foam at the mouth over nonsense. The Cannonsburg 4th of July parade debacle was it for me. Her and Marty spent a week scaring old people to the point that if that guy showed up to protest he’d have been hospitalized by some patriot type. There’s a reason she’s on a dying radio program, she sucks.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:28 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,082,129 times
I won't lie, but I am very caught off guard by how many people listen to local talk radio. Outside of WESA, I didn't realize there was such a demand for these things. However, I do love my bubble where coffee costs $7 a cup, so I shall return.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:10 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,971,886 times
This forum tends to skew older, so it's not surprising. Go to the other forum and it's crickets about Wendy or anything about radio. Young people don't even watch teevee.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:17 PM

30,406 posts, read 67,714,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
This forum tends to skew older, so it's not surprising. Go to the other forum and it's crickets about Wendy or anything about radio. Young people don't even watch teevee.
Heh. I'm 30(ish) and only watch Judge Judy and WPXI's 5 PM news. Even then that's only on Fridays because I leave the house at 6 AM and don't usually get back home until 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM Monday-Thursday. Weekends are reserved for laundry, cleaning, errands, yard work, etc., and then we binge-watch some things on Netflix or Hulu.

I'm surprised Verizon FiOS and Comcast XFinity are still charging most people north of $150/month for cable/Internet packages via their duopoly when fewer and fewer people are keeping cable. My contract was up recently, and while I tried to cut the cord altogether the very pushy Verizon sales rep managed to get me to keep a downgraded cable package.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:24 PM

Never know if I'm the older crowd being 45. I never watch live TV other than sports, stream mostly everything. I also wanted to cut the cord but my family wanted something and I was able to get my FIOS down to $120 but that includes 1GB internet as I need it for work. My mom is moving and I looked at new services which will be $80 for everything. Next renewal for me I am going Playstation Vue with 1GB internet. FIOS internet would be $80 but then I can control everything else. I also never listen to radio, only stream music from Amazon.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I won't lie, but I am very caught off guard by how many people listen to local talk radio. Outside of WESA, I didn't realize there was such a demand for these things. However, I do love my bubble where coffee costs $7 a cup, so I shall return.

$7 for regular coffee? Is the pooped out coffee? I do treat myself at times to a nice special brew but even then it's never $7 in any city I've been in. For me Coffee is like desert, some people will spend $3-4 on ice cream but I'll spend it on good coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or