U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 07:10 PM

6,024 posts, read 7,400,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Heh. I'm 30(ish) and only watch Judge Judy and WPXI's 5 PM news. Even then that's only on Fridays because I leave the house at 6 AM and don't usually get back home until 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM Monday-Thursday. Weekends are reserved for laundry, cleaning, errands, yard work, etc., and then we binge-watch some things on Netflix or Hulu.

I'm surprised Verizon FiOS and Comcast XFinity are still charging most people north of $150/month for cable/Internet packages via their duopoly when fewer and fewer people are keeping cable. My contract was up recently, and while I tried to cut the cord altogether the very pushy Verizon sales rep managed to get me to keep a downgraded cable package.
Eh, I'm slightly younger than you and I certainly watch my share of TV on weekday evenings for a couple hours too. Especially from October through April when there isn't much going on outside on a work night.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 08-29-2019 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,083,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Heh. I'm 30(ish) and only watch Judge Judy and WPXI's 5 PM news. Even then that's only on Fridays because I leave the house at 6 AM and don't usually get back home until 7:30 PM or 8:00 PM Monday-Thursday. Weekends are reserved for laundry, cleaning, errands, yard work, etc., and then we binge-watch some things on Netflix or Hulu.

I'm surprised Verizon FiOS and Comcast XFinity are still charging most people north of $150/month for cable/Internet packages via their duopoly when fewer and fewer people are keeping cable. My contract was up recently, and while I tried to cut the cord altogether the very pushy Verizon sales rep managed to get me to keep a downgraded cable package.
I am on my third month after cutting cable, so I am down to $60 a month for internet, and got my own router to save that $12 a month charge. I went without cable for 3 years before, but fell back into it for a few years. I have to admit when I actually sit down to watch something I am okay with Hulu and what not, but when you just want mindless tv, just having an antenna is somewhat disappointing. Oh well, i am reading more these days, so I guess that is a good thing.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,381,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I won't lie, but I am very caught off guard by how many people listen to local talk radio. Outside of WESA, I didn't realize there was such a demand for these things. However, I do love my bubble where coffee costs $7 a cup, so I shall return.
I think I started listening to KDKA when my job required me to travel a lot locally, back then it was the Honz on the radio and it was part entertainment, part news of the region. After him it's been a death spiral, Mike Pintek dying was the last decent weekday dude as far as I'm concerned. Marty was always terrible, so full of himself and repeating the last two to three words of every sentence to eat up time. Don't get me started on the bore fest of Larry and John.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:54 AM
gg

18,075 posts, read 18,453,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
This forum tends to skew older, so it's not surprising. Go to the other forum and it's crickets about Wendy or anything about radio. Young people don't even watch teevee.
The other forum has no diversity and is filled with pure hate. It is the most prejudicial forum I have ever been on. Just a bunch of people coomplaining about everything constantly. I left and will never return. That is an echo-chamber at its finest. I would imagine most on there are on meds for sure.

Last edited by gg; 08-30-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 08:04 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Wendy plays the woe is us white people crap so much itís cliche at this point. Then she gets the base all fired up to call in and foam at the mouth over nonsense. The Cannonsburg 4th of July parade debacle was it for me. Her and Marty spent a week scaring old people to the point that if that guy showed up to protest heíd have been hospitalized by some patriot type. Thereís a reason sheís on a dying radio program, she sucks.
Well she lost her job because she is white. No one could argue that. I don't blame her. I don't listen to her and won't. Not my thing.

The entire race thing is boring to me. It has been the same all my life and that is over 50 years and it will be the same long after I am gone. I just ignore it the best I can at this point. A lot of people are VERY racist though. I am subject to it weekly, but know as a white male it is best to keep quiet. Cities are filled with anger and hate. Thank you Internet and sensationalism/hype news.

For the record, I haven't listened to talk radio nor do I. I watch the news sometimes, but not often. I look at local news if I hear about a story of interest. Locally people keep running into telephone poles in FC to the point, I have to wonder what is going on. Then some little 5 year old died on an ATV in FC. Never saw anyone ride one of those things in the Borough, but I guess they do. Been an odd few days and the cyclist hits home for me. Scares me really.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Not comparing the actions but look at all of Weinstein's awards, doesnt make someone a good person.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/awards
It isn't one award that is impressive it is the amount and tons of Emmy's.

She felt overwhelmed by a mass shooting and very sad. She showed her sadness in a way a white person cannot. She no doubt reported on countless black on black murders and this one probably put her in a very bad place. She lost her career. I think showing sadness and being upset about a mass shooting shows she has a heart. It was pretty upsetting people can't even have a picnic and be safe in their own backyard for a day. Oddly, I have grown more immune to such events due to the entire Wendy Bell thing. It showed a clear pushback and anger/hate towards her to the point it was insane. I then realized it is best I keep very clear of certain subjects and just have that type of shooting as part of the landscape and not react. After all, I am a white male, so it is not my place. Just keep out is the best way for people like me.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:03 AM

8,952 posts, read 5,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Wendy plays the woe is us white people crap so much it’s cliche at this point. Then she gets the base all fired up to call in and foam at the mouth over nonsense. The Cannonsburg 4th of July parade debacle was it for me. Her and Marty spent a week scaring old people to the point that if that guy showed up to protest he’d have been hospitalized by some patriot type. There’s a reason she’s on a dying radio program, she sucks.
The outcry by “the woe is us” crowd is what got her fired to begin with. I couldn’t be happier to see her or anyone back to work after something so ridiculous.

Last edited by erieguy; 08-30-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 PM

2,511 posts, read 683,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I thought WTAE saw a chance to fire an aging woman anchor and took it. Not a real big fan of hers, even less when she through Guy under the bus.
I might add: An aging female anchor with a hefty salary they could eliminate.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM

8,952 posts, read 5,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I might add: An aging female anchor with a hefty salary they could eliminate.
Salary is always an issue, however, she’s only 45.

The station caved and granted the “woe is us” crowd their wish. I hope she gets her own tv show and gets huge ratings for it.

Interesting that the outcry from the “woe is us” crowd got Dickerson back his gig after being replaced by Bell.https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2019...regame-lineup/

Old 08-30-2019, 02:39 PM

2,754 posts, read 2,083,080 times
Isnít this the same station that employed Sally Wiggin, also an aging female anchor with a hefty salary, till she decided to retire? Just perhaps it had to do with the vitriol pouring out of Wendy Bellís mouth, not the color or age of her skin, that got her fired. She is not a victim here, no matter how much people would like to think she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or