U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:15 AM
gg gg started this thread

18,070 posts, read 18,446,513 times

Advertisements

For fellow cyclists just be careful out there. I think it has been a pretty good year for cyclists, but this is sad as the man died. Such a shame.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...ship/980436220
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:22 AM

3,240 posts, read 2,833,173 times
oh man....very sad. this is terrible. i can only imagine that the second van must have run over him.

i see from what reporter Lori Houy posted in that short video that the southbound direction has no shoulder, not even some white line. if the northbound is the same, that would seem like a very dangerous area to be using a bike. i am not familiar with Freeport Road for bike use.

i am holding back my personal feelings about the circumstances of this, to not use this man's death as an opportunity to vent.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

i am holding back my personal feelings about the circumstances of this, to not use this man's death as an opportunity to vent.
Yeah, someone died and we don't know much about this. As a cyclist, you have NO choice but to take the entire lane on that stretch. No where else to go. It was before sunrise, but probably getting lighter.

It was hard to see that video for me. Just his belongings laying there. Very sad for a lot of people I am sure.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM

1,481 posts, read 889,974 times
I just read the story on the P-G website and was hoping it wasn't you, glad that you're still with us

Old 08-29-2019, 08:47 AM

30,406 posts, read 67,714,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I just read the story on the P-G website and was hoping it wasn't you, glad that you're still with us
I was thinking the same thing.

Naturally the comments on Facebook are as disappointing as ever. "Derp! PEDUTO SHOULD HAVE PUT IN A BIKE LANE FERRR HIMM!!!"; "DERP! BIKES DON'T BELONG ON DA ROADS!!!"; "DERRRRPPPP!!!"

Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 AM

6,571 posts, read 3,540,083 times
Very sad. Cycling is so dangerous, even if every driver on the road respected a cyclist. This may just be a pure accident with no real fault (sun in eyes of driver etc). But I've also read about cyclists disrespecting rules and riding in the driving lanes, not paying attention etc etc. Regardless this sucks.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:38 AM

913 posts, read 469,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Very sad. Cycling is so dangerous, even if every driver on the road respected a cyclist. This may just be a pure accident with no real fault (sun in eyes of driver etc). But I've also read about cyclists disrespecting rules and riding in the driving lanes, not paying attention etc etc. Regardless this sucks.
Driving culture victim blaming. What's a driving lane?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:59 AM

252 posts, read 97,160 times
It just feels to me like the worst body blow when this happens. I'm so sorry for this man and his loved ones. I met a guy a couple weeks ago who was biking from Milwaukee to DC (along the GAP from Pittsburgh), and he said the most discourteous drivers he encountered were in Ohio. He was yelled at to get the "BLEEP off the road", and one driver even threw a full bottle of water at him. WTH?!?

We are lucky to have orgs like Bike PGH. The work to raise awareness must continue, but the constant self-inflicted distraction of most drivers is the biggest problem to overcome, whether the victim is a pedestrian, a cyclist, or . . . all the houses that motorists seem to be running into almost daily.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:28 AM

3,240 posts, read 2,833,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post

We are lucky to have orgs like Bike PGH. The work to raise awareness must continue, but the constant self-inflicted distraction of most drivers is the biggest problem to overcome, whether the victim is a pedestrian, a cyclist, or . . . all the houses that motorists seem to be running into almost daily.

*silent applause*

and not to mention the speed with which people pilot their large vehicles.
we each may not realize it, but we do develop our own personal philosophies, shaped by life experiences and other factors....

two points of my own philosophy:
large personal vehicles = a greater feeling of comfort, and with that, a greater feeling of ownership of the road

these luxuries make us more vain, less compassionate, more ego-centered, uglier. (in a nutshell, and with generalizations...of course not everything is cut and dry).

so, just slow the **** down, and don't drive in a way where you have not processed what is in your field of vision 2-3 seconds ahead of you.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Driving culture victim blaming. What's a driving lane?
I hesitated to even post this on here because of cold people and rants. Someone died this morning. We don't know what happened. The sun was not up yet, but it probably wasn't all that dark. A tough time to ride and a very lousy location. That is about it.

Try and have a little class. This man is dead and we really don't know much. Was the driver texting? Distracted? No idea. Who to blame? No idea.

SCR, don't worry about the facebook crap your read. There are heartless people out there, but many are very nice. Just Internet crap.

Guess we will find out more at some point. Stay classy if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh