U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:14 PM

463 posts, read 982,551 times

Advertisements

I'll continue with the Beaver, PA recommendation https://beaverpa.us/... Almost all of my family was from there, establishing roots over 100 years ago. In my opinion and experience having spent a large part of my life in Beaver Co., Beaver is the crown jewel of the county... It has a much more upscale, vibrant, non-blighted, genteel feel over its sister cities, and is considered a place of 'old money'. River access is great, nice places to eat and shop, so close to the airport. Real shame is when daily train service to Pittsburgh stopped many years ago... What a great, relaxing way to go to the city. Here is the Beaver Co. website: Beaver County Official Site

As mentioned if your family like to fish, I love hitting the Beaver River river, and if you like to shoot, the Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club is close by: https://www.bvrpc.org/

As is Bradys Run park (real gem) that has so much to offer, including a very famous Maple Syrup Festival, ice arena, and elbow-to-elbow opening day of trout fishing season. I loved all three so much, as well as pretty challenging hiking via the park's trails. Bradys Run Park

Plenty of places to get a great ice cream cone in the county, great bakeries, lots of pizza places too, some serving a local variant you may have never heard of; Steubenville/Ohio Valley style pizza: Steubenville Style Pizza | OhioWins. Love it or hate it... Every person I have introduced it to, thought WTH. Another treat for me was getting a nice deli order of Isaly's chopped ham (say chip-chop to sound like a local ), and a nice pile of Lugar's (now Beaver Falls meats) bologna. The Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe is the real deal... If you like chili dogs/chili cheese fries you are in heaven. Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe

I might also add if in the general area, a trip to Columbus OH, and Cleveland might be worth the time... I think they are underrated, and like Grand Rapids, Columbus is seeing a very large interest in making the place home... And housing prices/availability prove this.

Lastly I wish you luck; I have been searching for years for "my spot", and hope I find it soon. I have a brother and sister in Gilbert, AZ, and have no idea how they have put up with the worsening heat for nearly 30 years... What, 110 or so today ... I have lived 'out West', and while it has many virtues, I did miss seeing green deciduous trees, green hills, and beautiful fall colors. And lastly, lastly, I'm an army vet myself, and wish you as smooth a terminal PCS move as you can have... My move terminated at a small military depot, just outside of the Pittsburgh Int Airport. Please feel welcomed to PM me if you might have any questions, and have a great rest of your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:25 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,553,283 times
Love Kretchmars and the old school Beaver Supermarket. It has great meats.

Old Today, 03:56 PM

463 posts, read 982,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Love Kretchmars and the old school Beaver Supermarket. It has great meats.
You know it brother ... Oram's donuts was always a favorite too, but my God they have some sorta cult following now-a-days...

https://www.orams.com/

Their famous dinner plate sized cinnamon rolls sell out VERY early, everyday... Heck I remember when the orig owners ran the joint, and it was just a great little donut shop (DANG good hard rolls too, my dad would pick-up after work on many days). As for Stubenville style Pizza, there was always D&G in Beaver Falls, and Pizza House in Ambridge:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...nsylvania.html

https://roadfood.com/restaurants/pizza-house/

Oh yeah, don't forget Hank's Frozen Custard (black cherry please), and Jerry's Curb Service:

https://www.go2hanks.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Jerrys-Curb...1598115545149/

Bert's was always a favorite of mine too:

Bert's Wooden Indian Restaurant | Family Friendly Fare

Dang, I've gained 50 lbs going down memory lane

Old Today, 03:58 PM

8,981 posts, read 5,553,283 times
I’ve been to all of those and never pass on Hanks if I’m in the area. I really like Mario’s on Main Street Beaver.

Fairly new there. https://platedpoured.com/

Old Today, 08:10 PM

477 posts, read 167,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! The prices definately look better
You’re welcome. I think our area would suit your needs perfectly. West Virginia has a lot to offer. Your wallet won’t get drained here. The best part is if you want to drive to Robinson or downtown Pittsburgh on a weekend you are looking at a 20 or 40 minute drive. I still think one of the best and most affordable restaurants in the region is right here in Weirton, deejays ribs. This part of WV is only five miles, five exits wide between Ohio and Pennsylvania. On a Friday or Saturday the lot is packed with pa and Ohio license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I'll continue with the Beaver, PA recommendation https://beaverpa.us/... Almost all of my family was from there, establishing roots over 100 years ago. In my opinion and experience having spent a large part of my life in Beaver Co., Beaver is the crown jewel of the county... It has a much more upscale, vibrant, non-blighted, genteel feel over its sister cities, and is considered a place of 'old money'. River access is great, nice places to eat and shop, so close to the airport. Real shame is when daily train service to Pittsburgh stopped many years ago... What a great, relaxing way to go to the city. Here is the Beaver Co. website: Beaver County Official Site

As mentioned if your family like to fish, I love hitting the Beaver River river, and if you like to shoot, the Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club is close by: https://www.bvrpc.org/

As is Bradys Run park (real gem) that has so much to offer, including a very famous Maple Syrup Festival, ice arena, and elbow-to-elbow opening day of trout fishing season. I loved all three so much, as well as pretty challenging hiking via the park's trails. Bradys Run Park

Plenty of places to get a great ice cream cone in the county, great bakeries, lots of pizza places too, some serving a local variant you may have never heard of; Steubenville/Ohio Valley style pizza: Steubenville Style Pizza | OhioWins. Love it or hate it... Every person I have introduced it to, thought WTH. Another treat for me was getting a nice deli order of Isaly's chopped ham (say chip-chop to sound like a local ), and a nice pile of Lugar's (now Beaver Falls meats) bologna. The Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe is the real deal... If you like chili dogs/chili cheese fries you are in heaven. Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe

I might also add if in the general area, a trip to Columbus OH, and Cleveland might be worth the time... I think they are underrated, and like Grand Rapids, Columbus is seeing a very large interest in making the place home... And housing prices/availability prove this.

Lastly I wish you luck; I have been searching for years for "my spot", and hope I find it soon. I have a brother and sister in Gilbert, AZ, and have no idea how they have put up with the worsening heat for nearly 30 years... What, 110 or so today ... I have lived 'out West', and while it has many virtues, I did miss seeing green deciduous trees, green hills, and beautiful fall colors. And lastly, lastly, I'm an army vet myself, and wish you as smooth a terminal PCS move as you can have... My move terminated at a small military depot, just outside of the Pittsburgh Int Airport. Please feel welcomed to PM me if you might have any questions, and have a great rest of your day.
You are right on! Good post. I love Pittsburgh, but the university circle and little Italy neighborhood in Cleveland trumps Lawrenceville and my beloved south side flats every day of the week.

Steubenville has a great Italian restaurant in their downtown and Dicarlos pizza is in downtown Wheeling, Weirton and the rest of the panhandle. I’ve heard there are two dicarlos pizza in Columbus now. One in Hilliard and the other in Italian village in Columbus city. One of the children moved out there and started two dicarlos. There used to be two in Pittsburgh, one in imperial and the other on rte 51 in Carrick. I think both closed tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or